1/72 AZ Models DH Hornet announced!

Procopius

Oh good, at least one Church Fenton Mk3. In fact looking at the alternatives, both Church Fenton Squadrons are there, going to be a difficult choice when my preorder  one appears. 

Edited by Mr T

Minor detail, however all the FR.Mk.4 (?) paint schemes are referenced as being from 1945... that can’t be right. I would say they are more likely from the 1952-55 period. Still nice options, so that’s the box for me. 
Cheers.. Dave 

On 11/29/2020 at 6:09 AM, Rabbit Leader said:

Minor detail, however all the FR.Mk.4 (?) paint schemes are referenced as being from 1945... that can’t be right. I would say they are more likely from the 1952-55 period. S

Quite right. All twelve of the Hornet FR.4 were WF range serials and delivered by de Havilland in 1952. There were WF-range F.3 deliveries in 1951.

In 1945 80 Squadron was still on Tempests, they didn't get any Hornets until the early '50s. And 45 Squadron was still in India on Mosquitos, and went through Beaufighters and Brigands before getting Hornets some time in the early '50s.

Not that it makes any difference to the quality of the model, though, as you say. What does make a minor difference is the WB977 (lowest on the box art) wasn't a Hornet, it was a Slingsby T.21B Sedbergh glider. That serial should be WF like the other two. 

Edited by Work In Progress
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

New dedicated Aerocraft Models sets

Secondly is two sets for the de Havilland Hornet kit by AZmodel.

The first is an openable 2 part canopy cast in clear resin.

Secondly is a set of new engine cowlings.

This is a new engine cowling set developed for the AZmodel kits

This is a full cowling upgrade of cowlings, spinners, propeller blades and exhausts designed to replace the undersized kit items.

I have drawn and developed these in 3D and you will be supplied the parts in printed resin from a 3D printer. I have tried to show and I will be posting more pictures on Facebook, a link will be added soon from here, to show additional pictures and description.

I used drawings that Mark Gauntlett did for the Dalrymple & Verdun Publishing book DH HORNET & SEA HORNET by Tony Buttler, David Collins, and Martin Derry. Added to that hours at looking at photographs of the real aircraft and then ensuring that it could all fit and tie back into the kit dimensions.

I am pleased with the result and it although challenging me in many ways has been a fun project to do. You will see a picture of the parts a computer generated picture and then a quickly assembled set of parts painted up in the same colours as the 3D generated picture. Also some comparative pictures of the printed parts compared to the kit parts.

The 3D parts will require to be trimmed and cleaned up, gently sanded, and a coat of two of primer will assist in creating a good base for some super new parts for your Hornet model.

- Engine cowlings for D.H. Hornet

Source: https://aerocraftmodels.bigcartel.com/product/engine-cowlings-for-de-havilland-hornet

390-ACFAA-B78-B-4-C5-B-966-C-EC4-EAE33-C

698-B3-FC3-7-F0-C-41-A4-8272-FE2-DF4890-

739-B37-EA-16-BD-4889-A410-4-DE36-CE41-C

- Openable canopy for D.H. Hornet 

Source: https://aerocraftmodels.bigcartel.com/product/openable-canopy-for-de-havilland-hornet

DC379400-F162-4-A45-B226-7-CDCCCE0-E74-E

V.P.

• Like 8

On 1/13/2021 at 9:35 AM, Homebee said:

New dedicated Aerocraft Models sets

- Engine cowlings for D.H. Hornet

Source: https://aerocraftmodels.bigcartel.com/product/engine-cowlings-for-de-havilland-hornet

390-ACFAA-B78-B-4-C5-B-966-C-EC4-EAE33-C

698-B3-FC3-7-F0-C-41-A4-8272-FE2-DF4890-

739-B37-EA-16-BD-4889-A410-4-DE36-CE41-C

- Openable canopy for D.H. Hornet 

Source: https://aerocraftmodels.bigcartel.com/product/openable-canopy-for-de-havilland-hornet

DC379400-F162-4-A45-B226-7-CDCCCE0-E74-E

V.P.

Looks good.

• 1 month later...