1/72 AZ Models DH Hornet announced!

Procopius

5 minutes ago, SeaVenom said:

I'm certainly no expert on the Hornet but there looks like a few panel lines on there over much of the wings.

Just to be clear, I did not say there were no panel lines but I believe they were limited to the metal clad areas which as far as I know were over the leading edge ducts. the nacelle tail cap and the wing tips plus a few access covers. On the Sea Hornet (as linked) there is also the wing fold line and associated hinge blisters.

What can be mistaken as panels are fairly long cord wise lines of stencil and span wise spar caps (which were slightly proud of the wing surface).

Judging from the most excellent photo @SeaVenom posted above I'd say there are separate wooden panels.
Probably to ease up construction and also repair.

Edit:

Oops but the longitudinal ones seem to be stencils ... so the panel lines we see seem to be restricted to the leading edges indeed, besides the panels around the engines of course.

The issue would not be  butting wooden panels as undoubtably that would have been the case but rather, the wing top plywood panels were fabric covered in a form of composite layering. Was this applied  in seperate panels or as a complete sheet? One thing you would want is the absolute minimum of exposed ply edge, especially in warm and wet far Eastern climates.

Les

It seems from Jan Polc on the KP/AZ Central Discussion forum that any future productioin will be as is. From photographic measurements the very smallest spinner diameter I can derive is 10.5mm (coincidentally as per Frog) whilst my 'expert information' remains confirmed with the slightly larger 32" at 11.3mm.

Despite any protestations from AZ, I know which route(s) I'll be following in building their Hornet which is for me otherwise a very welcome addition to the kit options.

Les

• Like 1

Hi,

The fuselage and top of the wing are very clean on the Hornet as all wooden structure is completely covered with doped Irish linen. The Hornet wing is one piece, so does not have any removable wooden panels. Only the underside metal panels can be removed for fuel tank access, and the aluminium leading/trailing edges and a few smaller covers.

You can see the only visible panel lines pencilled onto this 1/48 Sea Hornet I made in 2015.

Just remember for the RAF Hornets, to omit the wing fold panel line!

Edited by David A Collins
  • Like 6

It's all on this forum if people want to search for it: DH Sea Hornet VW957

...Which reminds me, that I must get on and build the 1/48 Hornet F3-F4 showing the camera and cannon installations.

• Like 8

My CA 1/48th Sea Hornet F.20, nearly from the box with the kit unrealistic panel lines I decided to ignore. Such a beautiful aircraft!

The NF.21 is on my to-do list for years... I've the CA as well as the Trumpeter kit in my stash. 

201012092614638789.jpg

201012093528183552.jpg

201012093800238234.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 8

Hi Les,

While I don't personally doubt your figures, it may be worth having @David A Collins post here directly (if he would be so kind) his figures for Hornet spinner max. diameter.

(And I too cannot see any panel lines on the photograph beyond those on nacelles / radiators).  I can see slightly raised front and rear spar caps, though.

Rgds

Martin

Hi Martin

I've been having a further perusal of the old Frog kit and am pleasantly surprised at how much they seemed to have got right, albeit with a rather clunky execution. Other than overall length & and an iffy cockpit rear, the fuselage is a very close match to the AZ.

Meanwhile, I'm sure David will be along with his figure.

Les

Well, If a Sea Hornet F.20 is in the pipeline, I'll just have to buy one anyway.

If the nacelles and spinners turn out to be inaccurate, I'll have to work out if I can live with that or figure out a way to fix it. Realistically, it would probably end up in the stash for long enough that an enterprising aftermarket supplier will come up with a fix, anyway.

Dave

4 hours ago, LanceB said:

I wonder if for those with AMS and the Frog kit in their loft the best option might not be to fit the Frog engine nacelles and spinners to the AZ kit...

Just the spinner/prop would be quite easy involving only lowering the the prop axle and a small amount of putty to blend to the new diameter. One might also file out the spinner to use the AZ prop, (for those without one to hand, the Frog is one piece moulding of spinner and propeller- see above for 'clunky').

Scaling out the Dalrymple book drawings against the AZ kit I get, subject to vagaries a spinner diameter between 10.3 and 10.5mm which would be around 29" in real life. For interest the AZ would have it at @ 25.75". Not a lot but sufficient to throw off overall geometry/appearance

Got a Frog coming from e-bay so I can try it, but if memory serves the Frog nacelles were not separate but part of the upper and lower wings. Maybe only the nacelle fronts can be transferred. We’ll see. Better yet, how about it Aerocraft —- replacement nacelles and spinners?

So, just to chuck in another point, the FROG prop blades - I think - look a bit short in diameter.

Les, can you confirm, or is it an illusion caused by the larger diameter spinners?

If they are a different diameter ro AZ / SH, which is correct? 

They're also broader in chord.

Rgds

Martin

3 hours ago, gunzo said:

Hi Martin

Happy to oblige.

My Frog props measure out @ 50.5mm with maximum cord @ 4.3mm. My AZ measures out at 50.3 and 3.4 respectively. 

Quoted diameter of 12ft would be 50.8mm

Les

Thanks, chap!

So, both are very similar in diameter and actually pretty accurate.  Must have been an illusion.

Rgds

Martin

• 3 weeks later...

My AZ Hornet kits have arrived now.

I'll start a build thread in: "Work in Progress - Aircraft" if anyone is interested in following.

It's an opportunity to build all marks F1 to F4 highlighting airframe detail and paint differences.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 7

On 4/20/2020 at 10:07 AM, Truro Model Builder said:

I note the great wave of pessimism that greets any kit announcement.

This is objectively not true.  The announcement of any new kit by Arma Hobby is cause for flags, bunting and socially-distanced dancing in the streets.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

• 4 weeks later...