1/72 AZ Models DH Hornet announced!

Procopius

Maybe yes, maybe no - some ebay sellers have been known to jump the gun, accept orders, and then let their customers dangle until the seller actually gets product in hand. FWIW, AZ's own e-shop still shows it as "coming soon", but OTOH, maybe they're letting their distributors have the first slice of the pie.

John

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John Thompson said:

Maybe yes, maybe no - some ebay sellers have been known to jump the gun, accept orders, and then let their customers dangle until the seller actually gets product in hand. 

nodnodnod   I've fallen for that one before now. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John Thompson said:

Maybe yes, maybe no - some ebay sellers have been known to jump the gun, accept orders, and then let their customers dangle until the seller actually gets product in hand. FWIW, AZ's own e-shop still shows it as "coming soon", but OTOH, maybe they're letting their distributors have the first slice of the pie.

John

The dastards!!

• Like 1

What's in the box?

2x grey, 1x clear sprue:

y4m4U2_GCplWeqX_3FjrmvELnxV8__ySPJkRewhU

y4moOVTE2Kz1asn-7dO0Hv-LqTkIROmb36Yaedvc

Insides:

y4m6Jxv6NtMSKc8GwCDGSuMP2kLezlrU0c02qGLV

Bit sparse on the cockpit inners, but plenty for the scratchbuilders, or leftover PE bits.

Canopy:

y4mv65owXAymeHc0iJ3ZvErcaEBUb8BTFZhOwv02

Decals:

y4mCDfyic7f8MZQmBvBtdIUkgxSUiG60V6SSzp01

The instruction leaflets also have a new approach, a bit similar to what AFX does with red-keyed areas:

y4mgAYEbATakjE-3cm0KneohPvbXRqeid1J3PuAF

Do pay attention to the paper panel cutout in the first steps though.
That would have been perhaps better handled with a decal instead of the seatbelt ones.

y4mrxR0YzLC8QiuHF9E7VeGz9rYUcs3FEh4LKgeQ

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, Dennis_C said:

Interesting kit. I wonder how it compares to older SH. And no doubt some aftermarket is needed here such as PE and stencils decal. 

The canopy certainly looks better than the SH one. 

So, there I was at the breakfast table this morning with Mrs Romeo and Mike junior, and I mentioned that I wanted to do some modelling today (ie get some more decals on my Eduard Tempest, if you must know).  No problem with that.

Then, a pregnant pause, followed by, "Mike, please don't buy any more models . . . I think you may have a problem."

A problem?  A problem!  OK, so the boarded part of the loft is chocker with unmade kits, and the study / my modelling room has another stack of kits almost touching the ceiling, but my actual problem is not having at least 3 of every kit I may possibly one day want to build.  Assuming a standard modelling lifespan of 180 years, natch.

Anyway, as I just sat there, looking like a scolded puppy and trying to think of a supportive yet evasive response, there was a knock at the door.  Mike jr ran out and returned with a box, clearly labelled as coming from the big H (it was my AZ Hornets; F.1 and PR.2).

Things have been kinda quiet around the house since . . .

Rgds,

Martin

• Like 2
  • Haha 21

2 hours ago, mike romeo said:

So, there I was at the breakfast table this morning with Mrs Romeo and Mike junior, and I mentioned that I wanted to do some modelling today (ie get some more decals on my Eduard Tempest, if you must know).  No problem with that.

Then, a pregnant pause, followed by, "Mike, please don't buy any more models . . . I think you may have a problem."

A problem?  A problem!  OK, so the boarded part of the loft is chocker with unmade kits, and the study / my modelling room has another stack of kits almost touching the ceiling, but my actual problem is not having at least 3 of every kit I may possibly one day want to build.  Assuming a standard modelling lifespan of 180 years, natch.

Anyway, as I just sat there, looking like a scolded puppy and trying to think of a supportive yet evasive response, there was a knock at the door.  Mike jr ran out and returned with a box, clearly labelled as coming from the big H (it was my AZ Hornets; F.1 and PR.2).

Things have been kinda quiet around the house since . . .

Rgds,

Martin

thanks for the fun "You'll Never Walk Alone"

• Like 5

So, I couldn't wait!  I started the PR.2 but will finish it as an F.1 using one of the alternative decals from that boxing.

Impressions?  Well, it's definitely a limited run kit.  Mould separation lines are present on all parts, and every bit requires a degree of clean up after removal from the sprue.  The plastic is slightly soft, so make sure you have a new scalpel blade in your knife and wield it carefully.  

Sprue attachment points occur on both mating and outer surfaces, although the resulting pips are small.  In addition, the details on the moulded parts are nice.  

Here are some of the parts removed from the sprues and cleaned up.  Fit of the cockpit is quite good, and placement of the pieces is aided by the new instruction format.

2020-09-28_08-08-21

This is a quick oob build, so nothing fancy. Just a quick splash of paint & dry brushing and it comes up well.  Decals needed some Microsol to make them conform, but worked fine, as did the paper console top.

2020-09-28_08-07-16

I had to carve the edges of the cannon panel to get the cockpit to sit nicely, as you can see below:

2020-09-28_08-07-31

But the result isn't too shabby:

2020-09-28_08-07-44

You can also see the cannon panel and fin  / rudder pieces, removed and carefully cleaned up.

Oh, and another thing: the plastic is quite resilient to Revell Contacta, and Tamiya extra thin just seems to loosen previously glued joints.

So, the above is 'warts and all' in the hope it's of use, but rest assured I'm enjoying it at the moment!

Rgds

Martin

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Three PR.2 arrived , and yes its pure AZ limited run, so lowest quality of Czech limited runs (Kora excluded ), would like to ask why It could not have been tooled as their DH Comet

,this will be easily surpassed by anyone deciding to tackle the subject, aside from canopy issue, cannot see how this surpasses SH.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Thomas V. said:

Three PR.2 arrived , and yes its pure AZ limited run, so lowest quality of Czech limited runs (Kora excluded ), would like to ask why It could not have been tooled as their DH Comet

,this will be easily surpassed by anyone deciding to tackle the subject, aside from canopy issue, cannot see how this surpasses SH.

Thomas,

The SH, if you can get it together, has some very difficult to correct errors in outline around the canopy, which the AZ does not have.  Spinners too small for the cowling, anyone?  10° dihedral?  Yep, that's the SH kit.  If people want me too, I'll continue to post pics, and I'll point out things I find, good or bad

Re quality, the AZ is a step up from the MB5, and a step down from the Bf109G-14/AS, imho.  It is what it is.

Rgds

Martin

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1