1/72 AZ Models DH Hornet announced!

Procopius

3 minutes ago, Jan Polc said:

October? Boxes are at the printers, decals also, one sprue is finished and moulded, the second one at the mould maker...., I expect it at the start of September.

Maybe an old title from May when they put it on their site 😉🤫

cheers, Jan

Well, still looking forward to these.  Really hoping for an accurate, nicely detailed kit.  If it goes together easily, so much the better!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like both F. and F. 3 fins and tail planes are in the box. Of course because of the seam between the engine nacelles and the wing the kit is completely unbuidable 😄😉

Cannot wait to get mine 

• Haha 1

Unfortunately I have some reservations, as said by AZ this should have been somewhere in the middle between HQ tech and fully short run, expected something like DH Comet.

From pics, this tooling is pure AZ/KP short run tech, anyone who had the opportunity building mentioned  short runs will now that they are very , very difficult to assemble, with poor and soft detail, hope they prove me wrong.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Thomas V. said:

anyone who had the opportunity building mentioned  short runs will now that they are very , very difficult to assemble, with poor and soft detail

Very denigrating comments for someone who hasn't laid eyes on the thing.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Thomas V. said:

Unfortunately I have some reservations, as said by AZ this should have been somewhere in the middle between HQ tech and fully short run, expected something like DH Comet.

From pics, this tooling is pure AZ/KP short run tech, anyone who had the opportunity building mentioned  short runs will now that they are very , very difficult to assemble, with poor and soft detail, hope they prove me wrong.

There is absolutely nothing in those images that suggests to me this kit will give me any trouble at all. It absolutely has enough detail for 1/72 and if it passes David Collins's highly developed awareness of overall shape then all it needs is assembly and a tiny wipe of Mr Surfacer here and there. It's going to be on a different planet from trying to make something out of the Frog kit

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Having built many AZ models in the past, yes some fit is off, yes there can be some soft detail and yes the moulding isn't perfect...but its a model kit innit - gotta do some modelling! Also they give us stuff that other manufacturers wouldn't touch. (Avis are also smoking some serious Mary Jane too with some of their choices) - so sure, the kit might not be perfect but as WIP says above - lets crack on - especially if DC gives it the thumbs up, and he is Mr Hornet!

For a super easy fit Hornet - why not try the Trumpeter one. Even though its alll  wrooooonnnngggg!

TT

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Haven't even got my hands on a kit yet and I'm considering posibilities for conversions! :lol: 

If one wanted to build, say, an F.20 what would be required?

Scribe in the wing fold line?

Add a flush fitting arrestor hook?

What are the undercarriage differences?  Would it be as simple as adding a torque link? 

The cockpit detail looks nice.  Not up to the standard of my FROG scratchbuilt cockpit, mind, but good nonetheless.

Interested in the fit - esp. of the nacelles - and the thickness of the trailing edges of the wing.

As mentioned, light years beyond the FROG kit.  As it should be.

I'm in the hole for ~£60 to Hannants for the first 3 releases.  Nothing in the images makes me worry about the 'investment'.

Rgds

Martin

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Thomas V. said:

OK, so it is not Tamiya, Eduard or even Airfix and the technology used might not be cutting edge, but to dismiss them so comprehensively seems a little premature. The cockpit detail on the test build shown did not especially look soft or poor to me. I have built a number of AZ kits over the years and they have got better. Some kits have required more work to fit them together, but the have not been 'very, very difficult to assemble'. Perhaps I am fortunate in having been around long enough to build dreadful kits in the 60's when I was young and then had a go at resin, vacform and short run. I even think, after the experience, that Mach2 kits are buildable and so what do I know😉🛩️🛠️🤬🚑🏥

Edited by Mr T
  • Like 4