1/72 AZ Models DH Hornet announced!

Procopius

15 hours ago, mike romeo said:

I think young Edward was referring to the Westland Whirlwind, rather than the Hornet, in his response to your post.

Rgds

Martin

Apologizes to Procopius as i had totally forgot about that one!☺️ Im only 12 years ahead of him as well!🤣

Stay safe,

Geoff.

• Like 1

A test will be whether they get the bottom of the windscreen correct which has been a bone of contention for almost all kits of this aircraft. There was a very long thread on here about it a few years ago as part of someones scratchbuild.

Definitely can't have too many hornets though!

On 4/20/2020 at 12:52 AM, The Wooksta! said:

Over the moon but I'm cautious given the ill fitting and inaccurate parcel of dog turds that was the Special Hobby kit. 

I love hearing someone giving their unvarnished opinion on a kit! 🤣 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Hi

Can’t see it mentioned in ths thread, but the remains of a sea hornet was recovered from western canada and went to new zealand  for restoration

so there most likely is info there, as they say they have access to 6,000+ factory drawings 

http://warbirdsnews.com/aircraft-restoration/de-havilland-sea-hornet-airworthy-restoration-project.html

cheers

jery 

Edited by brewerjerry
  • Like 1

Sign me up for a PR.2 right away. Didn't know such a variant existed but a Hornet in PRU Blue is utterly gorgeous in my eyes.

• Like 1

Definitely a must have for me; I've been waiting for a decent Hornet for many years. Why longer than that young lad Procopius has been present on this Vale of Tears.

Regards,

Jason

P.S. So if they've done the clear parts, they're getting close to release?

Edited by Learstang
Additional comment added.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Col. said:

Sign me up for a PR.2 right away. Didn't know such a variant existed but a Hornet in PRU Blue is utterly gorgeous in my eyes.

I love anything PR, though having a quick read it looks like the PR.2 was only produced in 5 airframe and never entered service. So I might wait for the PR.22 boxing.

At least 2 of the PR2s served with the RAF - PX216 was the personal mount of Wing Commander 'Tiny' Neale and VA962 served with the PRDU at Benson. 

PR2 VA-962-VA966 built as PR2 with VA967-VA997, VB108-VB131 (55 a/c) cancelled.

If they're doing an F3 and a PR2, that means there's an F1 TBA and possibly an F.4.  Sea Hornet is unlikely unless they revise the wing mould, which Special Hobby couldn't be bothered with.  Skybirds '86 Hornets came with the wingfold as standard, even on RAF Hornets - you just had to sand them off and fill the panel lines.  Magna only did the wingfold mods on the NF21, his F20 was just the F3 with an arrestor hook and navy decals, but the Magna Hornets were basically a warmed oiver and tarted up Frog kit as a master, with some of the flaws and others built in.  I'm currently fighting the Magna F1, which will end up in whiffed 2TAF markings.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, The Wooksta! said:

At least 2 of the PR2s served with the RAF - PX216 was the personal mount of Wing Commander 'Tiny' Neale and VA962 served with the PRDU at Benson. 

PR2 VA-962-VA966 built as PR2 with VA967-VA997, VB108-VB131 (55 a/c) cancelled.

If they're doing an F3 and a PR2, that means there's an F1 TBA and possibly an F.4.  Sea Hornet is unlikely unless they revise the wing mould, which Special Hobby couldn't be bothered with.  Skybirds '86 Hornets came with the wingfold as standard, even on RAF Hornets - you just had to sand them off and fill the panel lines.  Magna only did the wingfold mods on the NF21, his F20 was just the F3 with an arrestor hook and navy decals, but the Magna Hornets were basically a warmed oiver and tarted up Frog kit as a master, with some of the flaws and others built in.  I'm currently fighting the Magna F1, which will end up in whiffed 2TAF markings.

Yes I should know by now not to trust the internet! I've now had a read in the Dalrymple & Verdun book which explains things.

I see the box top aircraft, PX216, was one of the F.1 converted to a PR.2 prototype.

On 5/5/2020 at 12:10 AM, The Wooksta! said:

I'm currently fighting the Magna F1, which will end up in whiffed 2TAF markings.

Great idea!

13 hours ago, Gazontipede said:

An absolute must have! One of my three Grails in 1/72.

Where do I send my money??? ;)

Excuse me, dear chap, take your place in the queue please.  Some of us have been here for some time.

Rgds

Martin

• Haha 4