1/72 AZ Models DH Hornet announced!

Procopius

I hope they let someone with knowledge of the Hornet check the CAD before they start tooling the kit. They need to ignore everything that Trumpeter did with theirs for a start.

• Like 1

Be still, my beating heart! What a beautiful aircraft.

As long as we end up with a sea hornet F.20, I can justify adding it to the stash as one was tested by the RAAF (self imposed limit - all stash entries must have an Australian connection).

Regards,

Dave

• Like 7

Over the moon but I'm cautious given the ill fitting and inaccurate parcel of dog turds that was the Special Hobby kit.  We've waited years for an accurate representation of the Hornet and hopefully this is it.

And hopefully they'll give us some different options from the ones in the Frog kit...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Now that is one to look forward to!

I wrestled with the SH one as well, but seeing how much i enjoy the AZ Spitfire IXs, i wait with baited breath to see where this one goes.

Need someone to plug another gap in my collection with the Westland Whirlwind!  

Stay safe,

Geoff.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jazzie said:

Need someone to plug another gap in my collection with the Westland Whirlwind!  

Special Hobby did a rather nice one in 1/72, if it's the one with wings you're interested in.

17 hours ago, Procopius said:

This is great news. I'm always happy to build a new Hornet kit 🙂

First I've heard of it. Lets hope they've done their research.

15 hours ago, mike romeo said:

Wow!  Just - wow!  

@David A Collins, sad that it's not Airfix, but hopefully AZ Models have been in touch?

Rgds

Martin

Sorry, not heard of it before today.

Edited by David A Collins

16 minutes ago, Truro Model Builder said:

I note the great wave of pessimism that greets any kit announcement. Can't we all be happy at the news instead?

AZ Models have released some good models in recent years. This is good news. 

I too think this is good news.  However, a degree of caution is appropriate, imho.  With no extant airframes and a lot of inaccurate plans out there, it would have been good to know they'd spoken to @David A Collins Hornet team, given they hold many 1000s of design drawings of my favourite aircraft.

If not, what information are AZ using?

Rgds

Martin

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, mike romeo said:

I too think this is good news.  However, a degree of caution is appropriate, imho.  With no extant airframes and a lot of inaccurate plans out there, it would have been good to know they'd spoken to @David A Collins Hornet team, given they hold many 1000s of design drawings of my favourite aircraft.

If not, what information are AZ using?

Rgds

Martin

Was just going to say no surviving examples - but you beat me to it!  So it can only be based on plans, photos and some parts if they can be found... I am always an optimist though so lets see what AZ does!

In the absence of an airframe to run a tape measure over (other measuring tools are available) it must be a tricky job to get any model representation accurate to say the least. Budget must come into the manufacturers considerations. Lines require to be drawn somewhere in the process of making a kit for sale otherwise one ends up with the ultimate kit at an extravagant price and we all moan at the cost of acquisition. 
given where they are let’s wait and see what they come up with. I’m on the side of a glass half full

Hang on. :drink:

Nope, it’s empty

• Haha 2

You know those irritating people that know of every minor flaw in a kit - normally ones you'd never notice or indeed care about?

Fair warning:  I may be that person re the Hornet.

Regards

Martin

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

A good start with the box art is that they appear to have the windscreen with a flattish rather than sloped bottom edge. Unless is it just me with optimist glasses on. 

1 hour ago, Mr T said:

A good start with the box art is that they appear to have the windscreen with a flattish rather than sloped bottom edge. Unless is it just me with optimist glasses on. 

No, you're correct.  However, the Trumpeter artwork - at least for the Sea Hornet- shows the same thing. 

Just sayin'

Regards

Martin

• Like 1

Instead of me just whinging on here, I have asked Jan Polc the question of what information he used, on the AZ Models thread.

Rgds

Martin

• Like 1

An hypothesys: some days ago KP/AZ announced a new L29 Delfin 1/32 in cooperation with InfinityModels, the new plastic injected division of HPH. Several years ago HPH developed a complete 1/32 Hornet that from what I read it was and is quite accurate. May be HPH pass some information to KP/AZ from their experience with the 32nd scale kit ? 

14 hours ago, Procopius said:

Special Hobby did a rather nice one in 1/72, if it's the one with wings you're interested in.

I mentioned above that i didnt get on that well with the SH one. As long as AZ keep up their standards, this should knock spots off the SH one.

• Like 1

Also elated, but given AZ track record full of doubt, with their short run tech SH will be difficult to surpass, my guess it will be like their DH Comet, better than other kits at the moment, but not by a wide margin..

• Sad 1

34 minutes ago, Jazzie said:

I mentioned above that i didnt get on that well with the SH one. As long as AZ keep up their standards, this should knock spots off the SH one.

I think young Edward was referring to the Westland Whirlwind, rather than the Hornet, in his response to your post.

Rgds

Martin

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, mike romeo said:

I think young Edward was referring to the Westland Whirlwind, rather than the Hornet, in his response to your post.

Just another reason to love this hobby, a spring chicken at 37. And yes, quite right!

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Procopius said:

Just another reason to love this hobby, a spring chicken at 37. And yes, quite right!

I've got 15 yrs on you, sadly, so I refer m'honourable friend to my previous response 😉.  

BTW, I do enjoy your writing style.

Rgds

Martin

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, gioca said:

An hypothesys: some days ago KP/AZ announced a new L29 Delfin 1/32 in cooperation with InfinityModels, the new plastic injected division of HPH. Several years ago HPH developed a complete 1/32 Hornet that from what I read it was and is quite accurate. May be HPH pass some information to KP/AZ from their experience with the 32nd scale kit ? 

Hi, Gioca

Interesting theory, but slightly worrying, if true.  Just looked on Scalemates, and although a lot of the pics are gone, the text confirms the kit is beautifully produced.  However, one of the remaining pics shows the dastardly and dreaded sloped windscreen side panels.  Now if that is repeated on the kit, then I'm afraid its nose profile will be way out.

I refer you to my comment in post #14 ☺️

Sloped windscreen side panels are just one of those small details that, once pointed out, cannot be overlooked (to me, at least).

Rgds

Martin