C-74 from "The Italian Job"

Neil

20 hours ago, alt-92 said:

Who knows?  Maybe they took a DC-6, hooked up an air compressor, inflated the hull and said 'that'll do nicely' :P

Sounds much like the inflated appearance of the Blackburn Blackburn ......:D

49824634208_ed5f7367f1_o.jpg

B)

The four new sets of resin prop hubs and blades, that I cast earlier,  have been assembled, and for now just placed in position. Also realised that the undercarriage doors for the nose-wheel that I had made earlier were far too small, so installed some slightly larger ones. Now, what can you say about the cockpit canopy .... 'transparency' ....  included in the Anigrand kit? Well I guess the word 'transparency' could be used very loosely, as it seems to be cast in a very unusual so-called 'clear' resin. When I say 'clear' resin, I really mean a 'Lucozade' coloured resin .... for the want of a better phrase.  It is horrible. So the Anigrand canopy for the C-74 was thrown in the bin, and I made a new (transparent) one from a small block of perspex, suitably shaped and polished, and hollowed out, which just needs a little more refining and polishing to achieve the final shape (obviously not fixed in position permanently at the moment).

49824589883_12f54128f8_o.jpg

49824589828_792c912e2a_o.jpg

49824926963_f698f42a40_o.jpg

B)

• Like 7

As a rule I generally do not bother with a primer coat before painting, I usually just prep the surface with some Grey Scotchbrite pad, just to key the surface. However, because there are so many weird and wonderful joins all over the place with this one, a quick coat of Zero Paints pre-thinned White Primer has been airbrushed over all surfaces, to try and highlight any suspect joins. Luckily only one or two minor ones to sort out before the top coats of paint are airbrushed on.

49836083733_5e8a576178_o.jpg

B)

• Like 9

Schoolboy error alert ....  The top coat of Gloss White had been airbrushed on, and decided to mask up the lower fuselage demarcation line, ready for the Light Grey underside colour. Unfortunately I was in a rush (always a bad situation) and used pinstripe masking tape that was NOT low tack, and some of the paint pulled away on the rear fuselage when I adjusted the position of it. So the offending area has been flattened back, and has now been masked up WITH low tack tape so it can be re-primed and top coated again. I really, REALLY should of known better, after all the years I have been doing this stuff ....... 

49845253422_0b4c292806_o.jpg

B)

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Now with a splash of colour. From the few pics I have of the actual 'plane (and watching the relevant sections in the film over and over ....) it is very difficult to determine the exact colours used.  The underside has been airbrushed in Light Grey and the obvious Red sections are now on too. The wing root fairings and upper wing surfaces will be in shades of Alclad Aluminium eventually. The overwing nacelle areas where the exhausts would flow over the wing will be Black at some point. The assembled prop blades are now in Red, Black and Silver.

49862788187_8f2b13f25c_o.jpg

B)

• Like 8

On 4/26/2020 at 2:56 PM, alt-92 said:

Who knows?  Maybe they took a DC-6, hooked up an air compressor, inflated the hull and said 'that'll do nicely' :P

On 4/27/2020 at 11:38 AM, Neil said:

Sounds much like the inflated appearance of the Blackburn Blackburn ......:D

49824634208_ed5f7367f1_o.jpg

B)

Don't try this at home though as you may end up making a rather expensive popping noise when you overinflate your subject

spacer.png

Another very precise and detailed build Neil.

• Like 1

Most of the airframe masked up, so that the upper wing surfaces could be airbrushed in Gloss Black (Humbrol enamel). Once fully cured, the Alclad ALC 119 Airframe Aluminium will be airbrushed on top (it needs a Gloss Black basecoat to achieve the relevant effect). Certain sections of the Gloss Black will be masked off, around the overwing nacelle sections, as these are Black eventually anyway, before any Alclad is applied.

49871192486_92a6189e72_o.jpg

Image of the fictitious 'Chinese' emblem that will eventually be applied to each side of the nose, beneath the cockpit area. A huge gratitude of thanks must go to @Mike H for producing this image using his CAD drawing software, after referring to the pics that I gave him which are at the beginning of this  build. Those of us that work with him at CFT know what a jolly fine chap he is, and I am more than happy to acknowledge his valued assistance in producing this image. Cheers Mike!!  :)

49871192506_20698989c1_o.jpg

B)

• Like 4

The overwing nacelle areas which will remain Black, as on the real aircraft, have been masked up, ready for the Alclad colours to be airbrushed over the remaining gloss Black sections.

49886326186_b6b7eac834_o.jpg

Alclad ALC 119 Airframe Aluminium was airbrushed over the entire wings, then some panels were masked (as here) and they were then sprayed with ALC 101 Aluminium to give some contrast.

49886638322_1e433587c5_o.jpg

All masking removed, getting somewhere now, that is the bulk of the airframe colours applied.

49886638292_455239a06e_o.jpg

B)

• Like 6

Hi Neil.

Appreciate the thanks for the emblem. It was an absolute pleasure to do.

Must say that I'm really enjoying these latest builds of yours as they're unusual and have interesting stories behind them. I was particularly taken with the Albacore flown by Peter Butterworth and the Channel Airways Heron you flew in as a child. 

This build's looking great so far. Keep it up mate & I look forward to seeing the end result.

Regards

Mike

Thoroughly enjoying reading through your thread so far.

The c1969 Italian job (and only version in my own opinion) is one of my all time favorite movies. Your level of detail and precision building is superb!

Very much looking forward to seeing your final result too :)

Red pinstriping decals being added above and below the fuselage windows. The Red pinstripe decals have been sliced into 1.5mm wide strips and approx 30mm long, any longer than that just become unmanageable when trying to apply them. In this pic 3 or 4 lengths of the pinstripes have been applied above and below the fuselage windows, just need a few more 30mm lengths to finish them both off to cover the entire length of the fuselage side.

49891025153_24bf88b4b1_o.jpg

This could be where things get interesting .... :-). The Chinese lettering (or would that be Mandarin? , I really am not sure about that, so apologies before I say anything else ... !) needs to be applied to the fuselage sides, the rudder sides, and to both sides of the fuselage nose, beneath the cockpit canopy and nose undercarriage bay. I have hand painted all of the lettering onto a sheet of clear decal/transfer film, (at the bottom of the pic) so that each letter can be applied individually, it just helps me in that way because any slight misalignment of letters can be 'adjusted' out as and when they are applied. I may need to apologise to Ki Wong now, as we have both chatted about this aircraft, along with @Mike H, and this is obviously not my first language! The lettering I have painted is 5mm x 5mm and 4mm x 4mm, for the respective areas on the model, so I hope that it resembles what it is supposed to, in some way! :)

49891539656_22a2d3ba71_o.jpg

B)

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

The individual letters have been cut and applied to the rudder, fuselage sides between the windows, and under the nose, and they have worked out quite well. The completely fictitious 'Chinese' emblem on each side of the nose unfortunately did not print well as a one-piece decal, so had to create them using individual pieces of Red, Black, Yellow and White decal film. The circular Red emblems with Yellow stars on each side of the fin were also cut from Red and Yellow decal film, and the false number '892' added each side of the rear fuselage. 

49898317993_90b6aea3ea_o.jpg

49898317973_91b04d5938_o.jpg

49898832656_07913891f2_o.jpg

Cockpit opening masked up and painted Black, with the canopy in the foreground. The canopy does look a touch odd, size-wise, in relation to the rest of the airframe, a characteristic of this 'plane.

49908720447_e6ba577ee5_o.jpg

Canopy fixed in place with Kristal Klear, and the external framing on it created with finely sliced strips of White decal film, and some overwing exhaust staining has been airbrushed on. Panel lines have been weathered very lightly, and a coat of satin-finish varnish airbrushed overall.  The circular window openings along the fuselage sides will be painted Black on the inner edges, and then sealed with a drop of Kristal Klear to simulate the glazing.

49919635246_cc15464131_o.jpg

B)

• Like 11

I missed this, so I get to see almost the whole process at once.  You don't post often Neil, but it's always a pleasure ^_^ Hope you're keeping safe & well :yes:

Hi Neil,

That's looking really good. I get what you say regarding the diminutive size of the canopy. I always thought that the B-36 canopy looked small but this is tiny. That's a great colour scheme and will definitely brighten up the display cabinet.

Cheers

Mike

14 hours ago, Mike said:

I missed this, so I get to see almost the whole process at once.  You don't post often Neil, but it's always a pleasure ^_^ Hope you're keeping safe & well :yes:

All fine here Mike, thanks. Hope you are keeping well too!  :)

2 hours ago, MikeH said:

That's looking really good. I get what you say regarding the diminutive size of the canopy. I always thought that the B-36 canopy looked small but this is tiny. That's a great colour scheme and will definitely brighten up the display cabinet.

Cheers

Mike

Does look a bit underscale doesn't it!  Had a really good ride out on the GSXR the other afternoon, best ride out yet. Very nearly popped over to your neck of the woods as somewhere to go too, not been out to that part of the world for a while, but was getting late so thought better of it.  🏍️ 

36 minutes ago, woody37 said:

Looking great Neil. Might have to get the dvd out and watch it today!

You wouldn't believe the number of times I re-ran the section where they take the Gold bullion off the 'plane at the airport, while I was building this .... ! :D

B)

• Haha 1

Well that is very close to being done, just a few little odds and ends, and blade aerials and such to finish it off. A couple of overall views for now, I will put some more pics in the Ready For Inspection forum when I get a spare moment or two.

I'm getting to quite like all of this civilian/non-military stuff, makes a nice change from camo schemes ......  :D

49926167732_e1d3fcb66c_o.jpg

49925349448_7c496e209c_o.jpg

B)

• Like 7

• 2 years later...
On 5/23/2020 at 12:38 PM, Mike said:

That looks great - it's so long since I watched the original Italian Job, I seriously can't remember the plane :hmmm:

I’m watching the film now and had to look it up. I clearly remember the first time I saw it, in the cinema in Tonbridge in October 1971.