1/32 HC.1 RAF Puma Northern Ireland

Belated build happy birthday! Getting there then. The four tie down loops/ringsĀ didn't always just hang straight down.

They sometimes didn't swivel that well. I got into the habit of making sure they all pointed downwards on my inspections.

7 hours ago, Jabba said:

Looking very good Steve. A question, what shape have you made the modded panels between the air filters as the should be triangular?

Hi mate, theyā€™re triangular(ish). The leading edge does have a progressive curve to it. I used the grubbyfingers site as a referenceĀ http://www.grubbyfingersshop.com/walkaround_galleries/Aerospatiale SA330 Puma Walkaround XW222 RAF UAS 2017/content/Aerospatiale SA330 Puma XW222 RAF UAS 2017 013 GraemeMolineux_large.html

Ā 

thoughts?. Iā€™ll try and get an overhead shot of the model.

Ā 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jabba said:

It just looks different in your photos, that is why I asked.

No worries mate please feel free to pipe up if you see something wrong and anyone else for that matter.

After 2 evenings of masking this where I am, still plenty to do. The uppermost window didnā€™t have the frames moulded in. Does anyone know when the wire deflectors were fitted.

51129591037_8b0e04e417_c.jpg81A30619-752D-47D9-AA31-BD6C4D721418

Ā 

jabba - you can see the mesh, just!.

• Like 3

Hi folks, well Iā€™ve sacrificed myself from the weather and primed the Puma with my go to Halfords finest. As expected a few areas of attention as it still fights back, although itā€™s all my own doing. The main areas are around the cockpit where you can see massive gaps (just waiting on filler drying), then Iā€™ll throw another coat on. Before I go book diving would anyone recommend the colours please (green/grey/black) to compare to what Iā€™ve got in my paint stash.

51137659776_4fb99f8795_c.jpgA1FF2F3C-C225-493A-BADB-C42493C529E1

51136984202_18ec1985da_c.jpg8361BFD2-EA92-444C-9DA2-BB7554EE3D91

Ā 

• Like 5

So today after my logistical issue on the paint front, I went to Frome Model Center and purchased some Tamiya XF paints (DSG & DG(RAF)). Itā€™s the first time Iā€™ve used these as historically Iā€™m an Xtracrylix user. Iā€™m converted though as it sprayed well and Iā€™m happy. Iā€™m think the grey may be a tad light but a clear coat may darken this. Obviously the black to go on yet and itā€™s drying inside at the mo as itā€™s cold in the garage. I used white tak and itā€™s got a fine feathered edgeĀ on the demarcation lines.Ā Further updates to follow.

51151024613_ac836831c3_c.jpg83F4C03E-5D61-4BB6-AE8C-5DA2E687882E

51150117432_a4c84eabdc_c.jpg03EB99C1-8148-42A7-ACFB-1A1852E65263

Edited by speedy
  • Like 10

11 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Looks good to me. The paint faded anyway so don't worry about that.

If you're weathering too then it will make a difference again.

Luckily Iā€™m a better painter than a builder. This bit I enjoy as it comes to life (as such)

• Like 1

Today I threw the black on which was actually quite time consuming. Again using whitetak and creating the weavy demarcation line which research showed varied quite a bit on how deep for each cab, especially noticeable from the sponsons rearwards. I also touched up some spray errors on the green/grey that slipped through the masking, but all now fixed. Iā€™ll let this dry for a couple of days in the airing cupboard as I learn the new paint. Then itā€™s the black panels behind the exhausts. The mesh that will go over the drive shaft has been primed and sprayed.

51155385506_3f3906dca2_c.jpg3AD46EAC-1AFF-48DF-9405-9D0297430A19

51154717982_ca232bdf39_c.jpg621581E2-30FD-469D-9CC2-045B707E2126.

• Like 10

This is looking great, I don't think I've ever seen a model Puma in anything other than 1/72 so I can't wait to see this finished.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update. The exhaust black panel has been painted along with the silver ring around the exhausts themselves. The Nav lights on the sponsons and tail have been painted. The gearbox on the fin has been painted grey. The 3 blocks on top of the door rails have had their faces painted red. Research showed some fully read and others just with their faces red. The Doppler underneath has been painted a light cream colour with a LAG surround (taken directly from the grubbyfingers website). Iā€™ve removed the masking around the mast and there is no overspray accidents. Next is to remove the sponge at the rear and the undercarriage wells and hook hole. Then itā€™s gloss varnish time; which I use Windsor & Newton. Theyā€™ve been put in the airing cupboard to warm through since the last use. Hereā€™s a photo but it doesnā€™t really show much, but there has been!?. Iā€™m unsure of the antenna on the nose as now theyā€™re painted they look quite chunky. I measured the same antenna on the Gazelles in work and theyā€™re 5mm in diameter. If I use scaled down wire they may be very vulnerable, weā€™ll see.
51175490139_6c274b5590_c.jpg29CE90FE-57A5-4412-9BB7-9797F4490601

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

An update as such but no photoā€™s. The kit has been glossed and I left it a few days to fully cure. Today I started to put some decals on and straight away some of the stencilling from the kit decal sheet disintegrated soon as they had released from the backing paper. I managed to get the Danger signs on but they split into 6 pieces, so some fast manoeuvring with a scalpel tip before the Klear goes tacky. The fight continues.....šŸ¤¬

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Plodding along each night. All decals has split in the water with the exception of the roundel which wasnā€™t from the kit sheet. Still loads to do. The port danger sign if you zoom in can see itā€™s fractured, this was the 6 bitter. One of the yellow trestle lines just obliterated in front of my eyes so going to have to find a looks likey

51201150862_c4dec4a7f1_c.jpgFA33CE3B-292A-4C3A-92C7-E8814502B42D

51201866041_61d6ceb553_c.jpg5757F56C-1A14-4949-B45A-ED67DBAE39A5

Ā 

Thanks for looking.

Ā 

Jabba/PiL - is there a site where I can see Sqn tail numbers from a period of time?

• Like 4

I just Googled 33 squadron Puma and got lotsĀ  of pictures. On some you can see the serial numbers.

I can't remember which squadron you're doing, but a similar searchĀ could be worth a try for you.

2 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

I just Googled 33 squadron Puma and got lotsĀ  of pictures. On some you can see the serial numbers.

I can't remember which squadron you're doing, but a similar searchĀ could be worth a try for you.

Sorry a poorly worded question. I was planning on a 230 Sqn cab, butĀ further research shows that the Sqn reformed in 92 at Aldergrove. So pre-92 I assume it was 33 SqnĀ rotating cabs, almost akin to aĀ Det. Iā€™ve got a book Iā€™m but sat in the chair surrounded by dogs I canā€™t get to it at the mo.

Edited by speedy

Speedy

Ā 

Prior to 92, there was only 1 Puma permanently in NI and that was indeed manned on a Det basis by 33 Sqn crews.

Ā 

Lovely work but as an aside, the profile on the side of the roof changed markedly once the PIPs were added. Yours still features the original roof.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tarlucan said:

Speedy

Ā 

Prior to 92, there was only 1 Puma permanently in NI and that was indeed manned on a Det basis by 33 Sqn crews.

Ā 

Lovely work but as an aside, the profile on the side of the roof changed markedly once the PIPs were added. Yours still features the original roof.

I was first out there in 88 and I remember there being a couple as we flew as a pair, but perhaps it was change over or extra tasking. Itā€™s a million years ago and I wish Iā€™d paid more attention but hey ho.

Ā 

With regards the roof I cut all the holes in and put the mesh on as you may have seen but the profile I chose not follow. AnywayĀ itā€™s a bit late nowĀ :lalala: