1/32 HC.1 RAF Puma Northern Ireland

Nice details coming here. Re the jacking points, it's been a very long time so I only remember one at the front for some reason.

Though I could well have another aircraft in mind! They were domed and fit into cups on the jacks.

53 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Nice details coming here. Re the jacking points, it's been a very long time so I only remember one at the front for some reason.

Though I could well have another aircraft in mind! They were domed and fit into cups on the jacks.

I too only remember 3 jacking points.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Jabba said:

I too only remember 3 jacking points.

14 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Edited by speedy

Sorry had a nightmare. Here’s the link to the photo that I thought was 2 jacking points. If it’s only one which side was it?

http://www.grubbyfingersshop.com/walkaround_galleries/Aerospatiale SA330 Puma Walkaround XW222 RAF UAS 2017/content/Aerospatiale SA330 Puma XW222 RAF UAS 2017 062 GraemeMolineux_large.html

Mate, they are lights. The jacking point must be on the aft frame of the wheel well and central. 

I just had a thought, Was the front point just a hole in the belly, and we used an adapter on the jack?

The two rear jacks had cupped adapters, so another different one for the front wouldn't be too odd?

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Mate, they are lights. The jacking point must be on the aft frame of the wheel well and central. 

I just had a thought, Was the front point just a hole in the belly, and we used an adapter on the jack?

I was looking at the photo and thinking the same thing about the nose jacking point.

15 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

The two rear jacks had cupped adapters, so another different one for the front wouldn't be too odd?

What a dope!. I’ve just looked at the link again and I can now see the 2 clear teardrops, anyway useful info for others😙.

Anyway those pesky lights........

1 minute ago, Jabba said:

I was looking at the photo and thinking the same thing about the nose jacking point.

Of course you were, everybody knows they’re lights.

• Like 1

I'm glad we got there. 

If you put the adaptor into the cup on the jack it flopped about until it was in the hole, unless you held it upright.

Or, you held it in the hole and pumped up the jack so the adaptor dome met the cup on the jack.

Either way, your fingers were in danger as the jack went up!

• Confused 1

Joking aside. If you look at the above link again, just inside of the starboard light is a hole close to the wheel well. Could that be the jack recepticle?

Not sure. I found this picture. I can't find any pictures of Puma's on jacks. there must be some somewhere. maybe you can blow this one up to check?

https://www.herefordtimes.com/resources/images/11239358.jpg?type=article-full

That hole looks like there wouldn't be clearance for the gear to go up past the jack legs.

Having said that. Another memory has surfaced. I was back working at Odiham in around 1990.

We had a Puma fuselage shell (no tail boom or engines etc) up on jacks awaiting airframe repair.

Someone climbed up the ladder on the left side, which put his weight above the centre of gravity and it fell off the jacks.

Now if the fwd jacking point was offset to the right, then this would make sense.

Sorry I can't be more precise.

OK forward jacking point is just behind the nose U/C bay. To jack a Puma up there will be four Items required-3 cups/ 1ball and obviously three jacks. A plum bob which hangs in the stbd doorway and there is a plate on the cabin floor( this is under the wooden floorboard) To line up the plumb bob both in 

longitude And laterally.

Sammy

• Like 2

Managed to do a bit over the weekend with the Saturday weather. I added an additional lug just aft of the towel rail antenna on the tail boom. Also I noticed the strengthening panel underneath the towel rail antenna so added them out of 10thou plasticard, then the rails. The reward light on top of the tail fin has been added. I cut out a slot and put in the cut off nose of a 1/72 skyflash and sanded it to the correct length. A little filler to blend in the fillet. I’m looking at the tail rotor now and as Benbow said above, he’s used a bic pen. This got me thinking as I don’t have one, so I hunted through the spares box #1 = nothing. Then I’ve got a spares tin from childhood, so routed through that and found that a MLG 1/72 Tornado wheel looks detailed and the right diameter. So that’s being thinned and tapered at the mo. Stabiliser has been fitted.

50559396362_a9c90ccd98_c.jpgE8DA22F6-A6ED-44D3-8C3D-7D69FAB57410
50559396282_0b30efc7e2_c.jpgDB09E0D8-70A1-47C4-B0EB-96668DEEC0CA

50558531828_847d351342_c.jpg355839C8-DBDA-4030-94AF-ACDE1C1C8338

I think once this wheel is done I’ll start moving forward or else it’s never ending. Thanks for looking.

Edited by speedy
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Some modelling done on Sunday and yesterday. The hub for the tail rotor has been filed down from a 1/72 Tornado main wheel and had an enlarged hole drilled out. Glued on and the gaps filled, then I’ve put tiny spots of superglue around the edges to simulate the bolts. I couldn’t find anything so small to replicate these. They show up under the primer ok. Moving forward the swept antenna under the boom was removed and a whip antenna (For the Cougar radio NI fit) was put in place (Thanks Rick👍). Again moving forward starting on the cockpit now. The forward facing panels of the bulkhead have been fitted. These didn’t fit well at all on both side at the uppermost parts, so have been trimmed to fit. The cockpit floor/seats and instrument panel have been sprayed black. The instrument panel was primed, sprayed white then black as I find the can be quite effective. 

I’ve found photo’s that show the cockpit floor to be grey or black and again the Swiss cheese structure that goes into the nose. Can somebody please confirm these are black rather than me looking at an incorrectly painted modern example. Secondly the ribbed tubing on that Swiss cheese structure I’ve seen as a dirty white or orange. Is this hot air tubing?

50587319567_d18eb42f0f_c.jpg30F858D9-25CC-46BB-9255-E12D9B611640

50586455188_0422a670e3_c.jpg46494157-40CE-4BA0-952C-01CFFA24B826

50587319522_33dd54fa36_c.jpgF38BE734-D77B-46D1-BB42-A31270F6F44A

50587319507_490e5bb02e_c.jpg0B8881FF-B0B4-4B6F-8AAC-295BF1684A9B

50587199531_7a58dfa6cf_c.jpg79FDF56E-FE6C-4E70-8571-7C64FA2039BF

50587319392_2eb41202a0_c.jpgF4E9D8D7-D432-46A4-82A5-4AC666323B80

Some really crappy photo’s there, they’re shockers🤒

Edited by speedy
  • Like 8

Nice work, and yes, the cockpit was pretty much all black. I're repaired and painted the floor before now.

The hoses on the 'swiss cheese' structure were a fresh air Mod or an STI.*

Pale green, which did fade to off white, they were held in place with tie wraps and connected to fresh air vents which were on the bottom of the I.P.

The lower end went to GRP air scoops on triangular panels under the nose. They were there by the late '70's BTW.

*Mod - Modification. STI - Special Technical Instruction - Pretty much a Mod in all but name.

• Like 1

Yesterday’s progress while celebrity was on. As some of you may know Matchbox give you a box section for the instrument panel, which can easily been seen. So in this scale it got to be sorted slightly. The box section was cut down and levelled. Then I’ve cut down various sizes of Sidewinder and placed them onto their corresponding sized instrument faces. I’ve shaved off the four corners of the biggest instruments. Still more to do here. The main cockpit panelling was painted and scratched for its switchery and instruments, being then Matt’s off and glazed for the faces. I put a little wear around where the heal scuffs may be. The air pipe was painted white, the a very watery RAF Sky painted over the top to give it a hint of green. Continuing with the main panel..........

50610857107_0de8dc8a0b_c.jpgA597E662-FB23-40DE-8BEE-67764146ADA8

50609995223_aafbf14f90_c.jpg1DE24845-A161-4931-BE55-BC5467D22EED

50609995173_fac0076eec_c.jpgCE3AE5DB-4E37-47C5-8471-96DD2A621554

50610856982_6fb4947cd9_c.jpg401EB15E-1DA1-4ECB-869E-B2AD9C24284B

Anything you see I’ve done wrong, just shout.

Steve.

• Like 3

The ventilation pipes went up to a 'punkalouvre' device which memory says was similar to that fitted to Ford Cortina's.

Round and you twisted the centre to turn it on or off. They were bolted to the underside of the instrument panel.

It used to be that about where your pipes end there was an ashtray! Imagine half a large orange in unpainted aluminium.

I suppose they were all removed at some point but I don't know when.

On the OCU, one of our pilots regularly left his smokes and Zippo in the cockpit.

• Haha 1