1/32 HC.1 RAF Puma Northern Ireland

5 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Ah, memory is a fickle thing. Mine alternates in details between Wessex and puma,s when it come to the fine details.

But I do recall standing at the RH side pumping the gear up and down. You did remind me that there is a gauge there though.

And, there must be a nosewheel swivel lock pin handle on the centre console adjacent to the parking brake handle? But I can't picture them in my head!

You can see it in this photo from Flickr - https://www.flickr.com/photos/aeroreg/3954027282 - it’s the red handle next to the collective. Note the landing gear lever/switch with the safety pin and RBF pennant as the ground lock feature. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Rickoshea52 said:

I’m not following you on this one Speedy. My memory tells me there was a brake pressure gauge on the floor behind and to the left of the second pilots seat, it was checked before doing a tow and needed pumped up sometimes. 

Must read page two before replying!

Edited by speedy

On my posted photo’s of the black kit parts. The forward facing port side is a moulded pole, could that be the handle (stowed)?. Also I’ve found that the horizontal extinguisher on the starboard forward facing panel is present. I’m intending to remove the moulded coiled comms leads (3) and replace them with wire.

Edited by speedy

7 hours ago, Rickoshea52 said:

it’s the red handle next to the collective.

Got it, thanks. Brakes On! Memory still says the hand pump is by the RH seat adjust handle. I'll await further pictures!

7 hours ago, tarlucan said:

unless someone can give me a steer on hosting pics.

PM inbound

• Haha 1

Drat. Some cockpit pictures but mostly the IP and overhead panel. I did remember that the main battery switch is up there though.

And the pre flight inspection mantra. 5 Tail rotor blades. 4 Main rotor blades. 3 sets of Landing gear. 2 Engines. 1 Fuselage. Yep. Good to go  :laugh:

• Haha 2

Great build - one day I plan to get this model. I remember 1980 very clearly and going on exercise with the Mercian Volunteers to West Germany. We spent 2 weeks practising with 3 RAF Puma's attached for 2 weeks. We practised several different types of air assault before finishing on a massive exercise for several days including a high speed, doors open NOE approach whilst A-10's and Alpha jets where screaming around. If only Go Pro had existed!

Edited by crobinsonh
  • Like 2

That’s a great resource. Be wary though as it is not a true NI standard configuration (no armoured seats, jammed, MAWS or load pole) but there is loads of useful photos there. 
I am sure there is a member of BM who works at the Ulster Air Museum and May be able to get you the images you want. 

• Like 2

“I am sure there is a member of BM who works at the Ulster Air Museum and May be able to get you the images you want.”

isn't it SniperUK or Sleeperservice? 

Edited by speedy

2 days of zero modelling and another DIY project finished, I got back on it this morning and this is today’s sessions progress.

I’ve added the T handle on the centre console and I noticed a stowed handle on the port side on the bulkhead behind the seat, from the photo’s that tarlucan sent me. So I have removed all the moulded comms leads and replaced that handle with a suitable replacement. On the reward facing sides of the broom cupboard I have added the blade protection sleeve and put a plasticard strip over the hand grip of the flare pistol. Then I’ve added papier-mâché over the holder to replicate canvas. Lastly on that side I have put little strips in between the flare canisters to represent the metal grips of each can. On the other side I cut out the area at the top and replaced it with a mesh covering. Not a lot of progress but time consuming additions.

49822428852_f1eb06f778_k.jpg5F71587F-3082-4600-B971-B50493892D69 by Stephen Priestley-Dean, on Flickr
49821577543_28b9409f52_k.jpg286998DA-30D1-4CF1-9217-5CD3875FDCD3 by Stephen Priestley-Dean, on Flickr

49822428747_bf729a5e77_k.jpgCD63E51E-6D72-4404-857C-A7BD92D39BF2 by Stephen Priestley-Dean, on Flickr
49822428717_9fd85f68f8_k.jpg9303B573-5A0F-451B-B1F5-D8206E2FBDE2 by Stephen Priestley-Dean, on Flickr

Thanks for looking in.

Edited by speedy
  • Like 9

So I’ve taken a plunge on the rear cabin and having looked at the reference photo’s on the nerd and what I’ve been sent I made a start. I made up the 2 provided sets of seats for aft of the cabin entrance. They’re a bit basic but look ok and I’m going to add some sag to the seating canvass, they’re not of the quality of the Fly Wessex but obviously a design of the day. I then looked at the flooring having glued down the hook hatches. The load securing rings are quite prominent, so I cut the wedge out by the doorway and drill out the others, then adding plasticard underneath and then adding load rings from wire that are sat on little square blocks so they’re raised within the hole. Looks ok here but will be better represented when painted.

49829640948_45599a8816_k.jpg78308730-5453-4E3B-8ECC-6B079C3548BA by Stephen Priestley-Dean, on Flickr
49830172396_2779d4d1a4_k.jpgDB51B221-CD58-483D-AB3A-532939863EF1 by Stephen Priestley-Dean, on Flickr

49830479702_d55498a92b_k.jpg262DC04D-0DE9-4419-BAC9-6BD1F231ABA5 by Stephen Priestley-Dean, on Flickr

ignore the green tape. This is where I got mixed up and drilled 2 holes in the wrong place. Language from the garage was blue🤐. As you can see photography is not my thing (all taken from the iPad).

Edited by speedy
  • Like 8

17 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

We covered the floor with plywood sheets painted in non slip grey. Basically it was matt light grey with sand in it!

Doesn't 222 have these still fitted?

Yep with the load rings showing. The 2 white cut outs replicate just that from a photo tarlucan sent me. It will look better when painted inc the black tape around the joins.

Edited by speedy
  • Like 1

I’m slightly stumped on this item, so need your help please. Instruction #13 item 16, the box section piece that’s fitted to both sides. Can somebody tell me what this is and is it correct. I’ve got one photo from tarlucan and if it’s the same thing I can just make out a holy front side. Can anyone shed some light please.

49832985081_41a6645662_k.jpg53681D22-AC6D-4278-BE37-3C0BACF873FC by Stephen Priestley-Dean, on Flickr

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, speedy said:

I’m slightly stumped on this item, so need your help please. Instruction #13 item 16, the box section piece that’s fitted to both sides. Can somebody tell me what this is and is it correct. I’ve got one photo from tarlucan and if it’s the same thing I can just make out a holy front side. Can anyone shed some light please.

49832985081_41a6645662_k.jpg53681D22-AC6D-4278-BE37-3C0BACF873FC by Stephen Priestley-Dean, on Flickr

Fairy stuff - http://www.grubbyfingersshop.com/walkaround_galleries/Aerospatiale SA330 Puma Walkaround XW222 RAF UAS 2017/content/Aerospatiale SA330 Puma XW222 RAF UAS 2017 231 GraemeMolineux_large.html

• Thanks 1

Tidy work again :thumbsup:

21 hours ago, speedy said:

ignore the green tape.

I've used that line quite a few times in a previous life :lol: 

• Haha 1

A decent amount of table time today but not much progress at all, where do those hours go. It must be listening to Absolute 80’s  that does it. Anyway I put in the nose wheel well with the fuselage taped together. I tried experimenting on sagging the seats but it didn’t work at all, but I’ve got a cheet for those taught canvases. Then I noticed these boxes in the kit which Rick and tarlucan have helped conclude that they’re Avionics related, and as per the link above they are mesh. I don’t have that amount of mesh so it’s bodge or pause to order mesh.........Lastly I took a good look at the moulding pins on the inside of the kit amongst the checkered panelling. It’s going to be a pain to remove material then fill and file. So I tried scoring one with the surrounding pattern and then removed the edges of the moulded circle. A light rub and it seemed to blend in quite nicely. So I’m going to use the technique on the other 2000 pins. 
49833825451_67d6cf11c5_k.jpg3B14ABAD-4DA0-405C-9EC8-7FA1E8EB29FF by Stephen Priestley-Dean, on Flickr

My Plasto filler arrived so the green tape from yesterday’s mistake are now filled and in the airing cupboard drying off.

Again thanks Rick and Jon and thanks for looking in. Back to work tomorrow so progress will naturally slow down.

• Like 6

The big black box between the fairy crates held all the bungs and blanks etc.

IIRC, In theory the cabin seats could fold up and stow on top of the fairy crates, held in place with bungees (I think). It was an acquired art however.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pete in Lincs said:

IIRC, In theory the cabin seats could fold up and stow on top of the fairy crates, held in place with bungees (I think). It was an acquired art however.

Yes your memory is not as bad as you thought, as they certainly could.

• Like 2