1/32 HC.1 RAF Puma Northern Ireland

Hi all, I’ve decided to build this from my stash (of 4) with it being built as a Puma in Northern Ireland. I’m intending to do something different as I always do with my modelling, so hopefully this pans out. At this stage it’s probably going to be a Green/Grey/Black cab of the Eighties early Nineties before they went two tone green, but we’ll see when we get to a decision point. I have already put up a post for info, which has been very well received by me.

Anyway the build, I’m starting using this kit which I purchased some years ago now. Also I don’t normally do in progress builds but as there is so little info out there and I’m purely reliant on ex-service knowledge and would like to make a goodun. So if you see I’ve gone wrong please chip in. Lastly it’s a hobby for me and I’m a slow builder as I don’t do it every day.

49792845612_0ea1d8cdbc_k.jpg938AAEB6-D8B6-431C-9202-F3DE63C74B37 by Stephen Priestley-Dean, on Flickr

The cockpit seats have been made and then plasticard added for the armour. I’m not altering the cushions as I intend to put crew in on them.

49792845677_32a45ac43c_k.jpg9374949A-D561-406E-9410-1AA1235C9BEE by Stephen Priestley-Dean, on Flickr

49792845762_57e540f404_k.jpgC4255E46-4232-4F0B-8B2B-CF3E9D429397 by Stephen Priestley-Dean, on Flickr

more to follow.

Edited by speedy
  • Like 17

Tuning into this one! Plenty memories about getting thrown around the countryside inside some Pumas :D "Why does the Puma have retractable undercarriage? So they can fly lower."

Sure there's a few Youtube videos of Puma operations going about with good footage of the interiors that could be useful.

• Like 3

Like Col., memories of NI: '90 and '91.  18 months at Ballykelly and 6 months in Aldergrove.  Yikes, where on earth did the years go...

Looking forward to seeing this one evolve speedy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Today’s progress has been fitting the Cyclic and Collective as well as the seat adjust handles. It seemed to take ages to smooth the join moulding lines down. I white tacked the seats in and the centre console so when I glued the sticks in they was no conflict with the seats or console. Yaw peddles fitted and I drilled out the poles of the pedals although you probably won’t see it!. I looked again at the seats and chose to remove the D ring parts of the upright of the seats, as looking at the Ted Taylor build a great side view of a non-armoured seat. So it’s off and now blended in.

The only downside of today with this being my first model this year my Plasto filler is solid🤬, so must order some new stock.

49797169628_e11b4efe7c_k.jpg35F97E6B-F9A6-44EF-879F-79E68F364E4B by Stephen Priestley-Dean, on Flickr
49797714566_7a732a9fd1_k.jpgE351B07F-9B5E-4B93-BF7B-E31F4508495E by Stephen Priestley-Dean, on Flickr

Thanks for looking in.

Edited by speedy
  • Like 15

11 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Of course, you won't forget the brakes on the RH pedals.....

Oh, and the pedal adjuster wheels....  :laugh:

PiL, I saw this and thought I’d managed to buy a Friday made kit. Then whilst looking at the Ulster Aviation site; there is a head on shot that shows the LHS the pedals are just a bar?. Pedal adjuster noted but not done yet👍

1st & 3rd photo

https://www.ulsteraviationsociety.org/puma-helicopter-hc1

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

That's correct. No brakes on the LH side. Trembling 222, that takes me back! 

Ah, the trembler. It arrived at Aldergrove from Benson and quickly departed again on a Queen Mary because of a structural repair requiring MASU’s expertise. 

• Like 1

Today’s update is still the cockpit as it’s early days. I made up the pedal adjuster from stretched sprue and the wind vanes from a set 1/72 Cluster bomb. I also spotted a box of switches attached to the port seat height adjuster, so a suitable switchery panel was cut from a spare 1/32 instrument panel and fixed in place. I’ve then looked at the centre console and got rid of the moulded raised panel on the LHS. Then from a reference photo of of a 1991 cab I cut a smaller panel into 3 with the upper most one looks like it takes a cartridge?. I’ve then glued the console in place and then made up the instrument panel, which in the kit consists of 3 parts. 2 don’t fit well so it’s glued and requires blending in. That’s tomorrow’s job as it’s too nice to be sat inside sniffing glue.

49805852322_90a27ad6b6_k.jpgAAE1586F-2A73-44E3-A7EB-046402343055 by Stephen Priestley-Dean, on Flickr

Thanks for looking.

• Like 10

Ok today I blended in the instrument panel join and put it to one side. Moving onto the cabin/cockpit wall structure.

This where I need your help🙏

The starboard rearward facing side shows a fire extinguisher, an axe and what seems to be cans of some sort and my best description of a pistol holder.
The forward facing sides have comms leads curled up and a cylinder on its side?. Can you guys please confirm these and are they present in a early Nineties cab?. I’ve also put up the instructions for this piece. My reference material isn’t giving me much to go on.

49809562741_974a33bd28_k.jpg522CA5E2-2A0A-49A9-9A16-3EC126A93C23 by Stephen Priestley-Dean, on Flickr
49809562706_73f5a823f9_k.jpgC409241B-60EF-4D22-A149-504718623954 by Stephen Priestley-Dean, on Flickr

Edited by speedy
  • Like 5

I think the kit part is a reasonable rendition from memory - this is the only online photo that I could find which looks like it may be a RAF Puma - http://www.robertsonfuelsystems.com/pdf/aircraft/brochure_37_sa330_puma_cafts.pdf

If you can find it, there was an episode of The Professionals that featured a 230 Sqn Puma with George Cowley seated next to this bulkhead (it is nicknamed the broomcupboard and contains the “pack”, a large hydraulic powered control unit for the flying controls), perhaps it could give you a better idea. 

The cans you refer to are flare cartridges for the Very pistol stowed above.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Rick that’s tremendous, plus any excuse to watch the Professionals. SWMBO may roll the eyes as I explain its research.

Edited by speedy
  • Haha 2

Behind the RH seat is a stowage for the Hydraulic hand pump handle. I think it was just a spring clip or two, but memory is vague. The pump is to the outboard of the seat and is used during maintenance or to pump down the undercarriage in the event of hydraulic failure. The handle was just a tube with a grip at the end.

Not sure what the cylinder on its side is meant to be. Note the mesh at the top of the LH broom cupboard. It's probably not on the model.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I remember having this kit as a teenager,  would love to get one again another day..

Great work so far .

All the best

Chris

Edited by bigbadbadge
Rushed last bit to get outside to clap for NHS as realised the time.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Behind the RH seat is a stowage for the Hydraulic hand pump handle. I think it was just a spring clip or two, but memory is vague. The pump is to the outboard of the seat and is used during maintenance or to pump down the undercarriage in the event of hydraulic failure. The handle was just a tube with a grip at the end.

Not sure what the cylinder on its side is meant to be. Note the mesh at the top of the LH broom cupboard. It's probably not on the model.

My memory of the pump is it’s behind the LH seat along with the brake pressure gauge - Pressure? Three greens? Pin down and out?

• Like 1

Ah, memory is a fickle thing. Mine alternates in details between Wessex and puma,s when it come to the fine details.

But I do recall standing at the RH side pumping the gear up and down. You did remind me that there is a gauge there though.

And, there must be a nosewheel swivel lock pin handle on the centre console adjacent to the parking brake handle? But I can't picture them in my head!

• Haha 1

Great start Steve but you've mis-interpreted the photo that you think shows a switch box on the seat adjust lever. There was nothing attached to the lever, I can't quite work out what that small box is, but it's certainly in the foreground. The lever simply would not work with a box that big on it.

If I can work out a hosting site, I'll put some interior pictures up.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tarlucan said:

Great start Steve but you've mis-interpreted the photo that you think shows a switch box on the seat adjust lever. There was nothing attached to the lever, I can't quite work out what that small box is, but it's certainly in the foreground. The lever simply would not work with a box that big on it.

If I can work out a hosting site, I'll put some interior pictures up.

Ok thanks I’ll remove it then👍. Perhaps it’s just laid there?

11 minutes ago, speedy said:

Ok thanks I’ll remove it then👍. Perhaps it’s just laid there?

It looks like it, on the panel behind the seat there's another box or cover propped up, maybe they were pulling out boxes that day? 

4 hours ago, speedy said:

Rick & PiL there are 2 photo’s in Ted Taylor’s build - can you see the handle and gauge you’re on about or is it higher up?

http://tedtaylor.hobbyvista.com/72-matchbox-puma/page-72.html

I’m not following you on this one Speedy. My memory tells me there was a brake pressure gauge on the floor behind and to the left of the second pilots seat, it was checked before doing a tow and needed pumped up sometimes.