1/48 Panavia Tornado ASSTA 3.1 - what is it ?

AlCZ

I look in newest catalog of Revell and here is a kit of Tornado ASSTA 3.1. - with new parts. What is it ? From sources i understand it is a upgrade of IDS - so - this is identical aircraft as RAF (now retired) Gr.4 ? (With LCD display etc ?) Revell have a photo of actual aircraft in "promo" marking...  But this isn´t new program, no ? I hear a German Bundesluftwaffe may their "Tonkas" send to retiring and replacing it by F/A-18E "Super Hornet". (Maybe). So, ASSTA 3.1. Tornado is only prototype with newest avionics ? (LCD replacing analog ? ) I have in my stash  Bundeslufwaffe IDS (with ghost marking ) and "Desert Babe" and i wait for potentionaly  Gr. 4 re-box from Eduard, so i don´t understand what is ASSTA 3.1 Tornado...(prototype platorm or current operational machines ?) 

ASSTA 3.1 is (afaik) mainly an electronics update for the Luftwaffe ECRs. Affecting also the rear seat 'workspace'. Is being implemented since end 2015. I have no knowledge how it compares to RAF Tornados though. 

Interesting to read in the second link about the upgrade to the Skyshadow pod "Skyshadow2"  on RAF GR4's. Did this ever happen? If so I take it there was no external difference to the pod?

Revell - 1/48th -  ref. 03849 - Tornado ASSTA 3.1 (release September 2020) Konversion mit variantenspezifischen Teilen

Source: http://www.kitreviewsonline.de/revell-neuheiten-2020/

03849-Tornado-ASSTA-3.1-c-Dr.-Andreas-Ze

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panavia_Tornado

(...) Beginning in 2000, German IDS and ECR Tornados received the ASSTA 1 (Avionics System Software Tornado in Ada) upgrade. ASSTA 1 involved a replacement weapons computer, new GPS and Laser Inertial navigation systems.[121] The new computer allowed the integration of the HARM III, HARM 0 Block IV/V and TAURUS KEPD 350 missiles, the Rafael Litening II Laser Designator Pod and GBU-24 Paveway III laser-guided bombs.[122] The ASSTA 2 upgrade began in 2005, primarily consisting of several new digital avionics systems, a new ECM suite and provision for the Taurus cruise missile; these upgrades are to be only applied to 85 Tornados (20 ECRs and 65 IDSs), as the Tornado is in the process of being replaced by the Eurofighter Typhoon.[57][88] The ASSTA 3 upgrade programme, started in 2008, will introduce support for the laser-targeted Joint Direct Attack Munition along with further software changes.[89]

In January 2016, the Bild newspaper revealed that the newest upgrade of the ASSTA suite to version 3.1, which includes colour multifunctional LCD screens in place of monochrome CRT displays, is interfering with helmet-mounted night-vision optical displays worn by pilots, rendering German Tornado bombers deployed to Syria useless for night missions.[123][124] The defence ministry admitted that bright cockpit lights could be a distraction for pilots, and disclosed that the solution will be implemented in a few weeks, but denied the need to fly night missions in Syria.[125](...)

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Creepy Pete said:

In that kitsreview link it does say

. Which suggests a new instrument panel, new spine(?) antennas and target pod.

The GR4 has the IDS plastic and GR4 instrument panel decals.

When you put the latters on the former, the effect is interesting.

But technically, it does have a new instrument panel...

Cheers,

S.

1 hour ago, guillaume320 said:

I’m also expecting a set of HARM missiles... Years ago when Tornado test shots were first revealed in Cosford, those were on display.

G

Hoping they're better than the Sidewinders...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 3 months later...

Interesting that the forthcoming AASTA kit costs £4.50 more than the forthcoming GR4 kit. Was that the same for the IDS and first GR4 release?

• Sad 1

Probably explains it, but I’m not so sure it’s fully justified. Kinetic seem to keep their pricing the same on their series variations like the F-104s.

Having said that, £35 for a modern 1:48 scale jet isn’t really anything to complain about. My biggest gripe with Revell is their penchant for only providing garish special scheme decals. Everybody else seems to manage a couple of standard scheme options in their kits.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/13/2020 at 3:36 PM, Stephen said:

Perhaps there are extra / new parts? It looks like there's a targeting pod on the belly pylons in the picture above.

The Revell ad in the October Airfix magazine shows the kit advertised with new parts included.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Stephen said:

There's a new instrument panel for the rear cockpit according to an in-box review I saw on FB.

You are right, sprue U is new.

Contains the pod, the small sensor on the lower nose and these IPs!

Uj7Rm2G.png