Airfx Petlyakov PE-2 1/72

Ozzy

5 minutes ago, Hewy said:

What you doing ozzy, one of each or keeping it raf, i know you like your german armour, so I'm guessing a 109 for sure

Close, my favourite Bf 110 flying straight and level with a Spitfire rolling off, having hit the starboard engine. That's the plan. How about yourself, have you got anything planned?

• Like 2

Just now, Ozzy said:

Spitfire rolling off, having hit the starboard engine. That's the plan.

I like it ozzy, in 48th it'll  be a big piece, yes I'm  in , I'm  going for the enemy im afraid (boo ,boo) I'm doing an eduard emil,  its been a long time since i did a 109

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Hewy said:

I like it ozzy, in 48th it'll  be a big piece, yes I'm  in , I'm  going for the enemy im afraid (boo ,boo) I'm doing an eduard emil,  its been a long time since i did a 109

My initial idea was a 1/72 Do 17 with a 1/48 spitfire, when I got the measurements the Do 17's wingspan was the same as the 110 in 1/48. The Eduard kits are really nice, I would have built one of those during the 109 STGB, only because the later model was cheaper I built that one. Will be watching with interest to see what I missed.

• Like 1

Just now, vppelt68 said:

Just a reminder, that the sweeeeet 1:72 Battle of Britain Ju 88 A-1 by Revell should be out NEXT WEEK :bounce:

I'll be looking forward to see one of these built, I really enjoyed the ICM kit a few years ago.

1 hour ago, vppelt68 said:

I've built and enjoyed three of their A-4:s. This is about 90% the same kit. Should be as good!

Look forward to watching your build V-P.

12 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Close, my favourite Bf 110 flying straight and level with a Spitfire rolling off, having hit the starboard engine. That's the plan. How about yourself, have you got anything planned?

That sounds like a fantastic build Ozzy. I'll be building for the opposition too with an Airfix 109, I built one last time around and really enjoyed it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Great looking Petlyakov. The kit cleans up well and looks good with those colors. 

Thanks Dennis,

its definitely one to watch out for like you said, she scrubs up well.

59 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

That sounds like a fantastic build Ozzy. I'll be building for the opposition too with an Airfix 109, I built one last time around and really enjoyed it.

Thanks Craig,

hopefully it will turn out the way I planned it, those Airfx 109's do look nice. Can't wait to tag along.

• Like 1

Hi Ozzy,

just bumped into your build, a bit late, but better than never!

Great build. It really looks new tool!

I bought one in Italy when I was a kid, and built the Polish version. I just could not resist the big red arrows on each side of the nose!

My English was so fluent at the time (I am boasting, as it was rather non-existent), that when my mates asked me what Polish meant, I very knowledgeably told them it meant Police.... No comment expected.

Congrats on a great looking Pe-2, and for the trip back to my youth!

JR

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Great job all round Ozzy look's a real winner!

Thanks Steve,

i do like these older Airfx kits.

2 hours ago, jean said:

Hi Ozzy,

just bumped into your build, a bit late, but better than never!

Great build. It really looks new tool!

I bought one in Italy when I was a kid, and built the Polish version. I just could not resist the big red arrows on each side of the nose!

My English was so fluent at the time (I am boasting, as it was rather non-existent), that when my mates asked me what Polish meant, I very knowledgeably told them it meant Police.... No comment expected.

Congrats on a great looking Pe-2, and for the trip back to my youth!

JR

Thanks Jean,

the paint definitely freshens it all up, glad I could take you on a trip down memory lane.

16 minutes ago, TonyW said:

Very nice indeed. It's been good seeing this neglected kit getting a bit of the limelight for a change.

Thanks Tony,

its definitely a must build, I'm really pleased I found one. Finally.

Hi Ozzy, that is a beautiful job on this, I saw it in the gallery last night, I've now had a catch up on this thread, some really interesting interesting stuff here, I'm just glad you managed to squeeze your modelling in there too. I think I'll stick to my plans for a Zvezda Pe-2 though. :)

Steve.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Hi Ozzy, that is a beautiful job on this, I saw it in the gallery last night, I've now had a catch up on this thread, some really interesting interesting stuff here, I'm just glad you managed to squeeze your modelling in there too. I think I'll stick to my plans for a Zvezda Pe-2 though. :)

Steve.

Thanks Steve,

the Zvezda kit does look very nice, when we are allowed to go to model shows again I will have my eye out for one.

• Like 1

Turned out very well Ozzy.

The green is brighter than I imagined, but as must be obvious by now, many of the old paints and schemes suggested for Russian WWII planes were not entirely accurate. I will have to try something similar when I eventually get round to finishing my 2nd batch of Russian planes - I-16, La-5FN Airacobra Il-2 and Pe-2.

Cheers

Pete

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PeterB said:

Turned out very well Ozzy.

The green is brighter than I imagined, but as must be obvious by now, many of the old paints and schemes suggested for Russian WWII planes were not entirely accurate. I will have to try something similar when I eventually get round to finishing my 2nd batch of Russian planes - I-16, La-5FN Airacobra Il-2 and Pe-2.

Cheers

Pete

Thanks Pete,

the green does feel a little bright, looking at the patch of aircraft covering that Aardvark has it looks fairly close with a little weathering. Sounds like you've got the full set there.

4 hours ago, PeterB said:

The green is brighter than I imagined, but as must be obvious by now, many of the old paints and schemes suggested for Russian WWII planes were not entirely accurate.

Pete, understand, Green AMT-4 it's no dogma, on standard to Green AMT-4

we can attribute at least shades close to FS 34098 FS 34102 and FS 34151. Therefore, all colors that are close to these shades can be considered green AMT-4.

By the way, in Kazan (the city where the plant used to produce Pe-2 and Pe-3 during the war), Pe-2 is now being restored literally piece by piece* to install it on the city square instead of a terrible and sloppy layout.  In the video, you's can see fragments of real Pe-2 with green AMT-4:

B.R.

Serge

* - during searches throughout the Russian Federation, they found and identified the remains of 78 crew members of the downed Pe-2.  Those, you's can imagine how much Pe-2 this single Pe-2 will be made of!

Edited by Aardvark
  • Like 4

27 minutes ago, Aardvark said:

In the video

In this TV news video use fragment original military  study 

documentary movie: "Pe-2. Main characteristics"(1944):

Intuitively, the film is understandable without translation and may well be used by those modelers who want to build their Pe-2 model.

B.R.

Serge

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Aardvark said:

In this TV news video use fragment original military  study 

documentary movie: "Pe-2. Main characteristics"(1944):

Intuitively, the film is understandable without translation and may well be used by those modelers who want to build their Pe-2 model.

B.R.

Serge

Thanks Serge,

there both fantastic clips, I wouldn't be surprised if there are some intact ones crashed landed still  awaiting to be found. 

• Like 1

On 5/17/2020 at 9:32 PM, Ozzy said:

I wouldn't be surprised if there are some intact ones crashed landed still  awaiting to be found. 

Unfortunately, such hopes are only for underwater marine finds in the northern seas or deep level Black Sea.

Because on land there are a lot of illegal

"black

archeologists"   who just give up all the metal that they find in scrap metal.  This is mentioned by the way in the first YouTube clip.

🤗

B.w. story about Sukhoj work on Pe-2 (and about historical myth

& rumours nearly this theme) here:

B.R.

Serge 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Aardvark said:

Unfortunately, such hopes are only for underwater marine finds in the northern seas or deep level Black Sea.

Because on land there are a lot of illegal

"black

archeologists"   who just give up all the metal that they find in scrap metal.  This is mentioned by the way in the first YouTube clip.

🤗

B.w. story about Sukhoj work on Pe-2 (and about historical myth

& rumours nearly this theme) here:

B.R.

Serge 

Thanks Serge,

really interesting thread, I just remember seeing clips on the history channel of an FW-190 being found in woods in Russia somewhere.

• Like 1

On 5/20/2020 at 9:47 PM, Ozzy said:

I just remember seeing clips on the history channel of an FW-190 being found in woods in Russia somewhere.

Probably You talk about this F.W.190:

It's a famous story.

Of course on ground similar  already unlikely to be found, but some large fragments like this Ju-88A still lie somewhere:

The most intact at the moment are objects under water like this DC-3  in lake at a depth of 10 meters:

or this IL-2 in the Black Sea at a depth of 102 meters:

e.t.c.

B.w. pay attention to the shade of green  (per 2:41 minute) on the wing of this IL-2. Typically "Soviet tractor green"! 😁

But of course, we must understand that this color most likely could have changed to such a state under the influence of salt sea water, in addition, the lighting and shooting conditions, the color of the water also affect such color reproduction, so this video cannot serve as an excuse for the "Soviet tractor green"!

😉

But it completely explains where some modern "researchers" took such a hue as "Soviet tractor green" on Soviet aircraft.

B.R.

Serge

Edited by Aardvark
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, Aardvark said:

Probably You talk about this F.W.190:

It's a famous story.

Of course on ground similar  already unlikely to be found, but some large fragments like this Ju-88A still lie somewhere:

The most intact at the moment are objects under water like this DC-3  in lake at a depth of 10 meters:

or this IL-2 in the Black Sea at a depth of 102 meters:

e.t.c.

B.w. pay attention to the shade of green  (per 2:41 minute) on the wing of this IL-2. Typically "Soviet tractor green"! 😁

But of course, we must understand that this color most likely could have changed to such a state under the influence of salt sea water, in addition, the lighting and shooting conditions, the color of the water also affect such color reproduction, so this video cannot serve as an excuse for the "Soviet tractor green"!

😉

But it completely explains where some modern "researchers" took such a hue as "Soviet tractor green" on Soviet aircraft.

B.R.

Serge

Thanks Serge,

the green in the paint set looks pretty spot on. That was the Fw 190 I had seen.

• Like 1