Airfx Petlyakov PE-2 1/72

Ozzy

Heres my entry guys,

not stricly built as a kid, because I could never find it. Scouring the shelves in model shops around the UK either on holiday or visiting relatives, I never left the shop empty handed as there was always something else from the Airfix catalogue to spend my pocket money on. This is why now I have chosen to build this kit, as I finally found one in a fetching blue plastic. On first inspection the moulding looks fairly good.

image.jpg

• Like 14

1 hour ago, Dansk said:

Cool Ozzy, I love the oldschool decals, with three options too! 😎

1 hour ago, GREG DESTEC said:

I never built this one for the same reasons....could never find one 😕

I look forward to see ing what I missed.

Cheers Greg 👍

1 hour ago, stevej60 said:

Just look at that blue plastic! great choice Ozzy as soon as I saw the box contents I was right back in the good old days.

Thanks guys, 

@Dansk really looking forward to starting, I think I’m going for the Russian scheme. It’s taking me back to @stevej60 but these days I use non toxic glue, which doesn’t give off the same nostalgic aroma around the house. @GREG DESTEC so am I..

• Like 2

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

A very cool choice Ozzy.

Looks like none of us were successful in our searches for the elusive Pe-2 as I couldn't fine one either! Mind you I do have nice 1/48 one by Zvezda now.

Thanks Craig,

feel pleased to have finally found one, the Zvezda kit looks very nice but Unfortunately I've not been able to find one. 

• Like 2

It’s a nice kit. Love that blue plastic. Built it once as a kid, once as an adult (in a GB here I think), enjoyed it both times but the second time took longer than a day! Classic Airfix at its -er- most classic!

There is a lot of research on Russian PE-2 colour schemes, and the one certain conclusion is that it wasn’t a two colour green and brown scheme like the instructions would have you believe. This website is my go-to reference for all things VVS FWIW.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Ozzy said:

not stricly built as a kid, because I could never find it.

12 hours ago, GREG DESTEC said:

I never built this one for the same reasons....could never find one

9 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Looks like none of us were successful in our searches for the elusive Pe-2 as I couldn't fine one either!

4 hours ago, TonyW said:

I'm yet another modeller who didn't find the kit when it first came out.

Well I DID get one!  as a pack rat.... authentic 1975 era slapped together one Saturday afternoon.... painted in proper airfix paint, the underside was a specified mix, white (M10) and IIRC Blue...no, had to look that one up, M27

I think I put some varnish on the decals later as they were flaking.  Sorry about the dust.   it lives on my kitchen window shelves ( I made some clear shelves out of hollow core clear plastic glazing so I could geminate plants... now they are full of tat, like this)

49795669622_74526ba044_b.jpg50621051 by losethekibble, on Flickr

49794818958_114898ddd2_b.jpg50621052 by losethekibble, on Flickr

Purchased at the Toy and Model market in Churchill Square, Brighton.  I had some cash,  I presume birthday money, and got EIGHT kits!!!!!!

I know I also got the Il-2 (still survives in similar state) and Yak-9 (reduced to bits, but still painted) not sure what else,  these 3 stick in my mind.  I don't think I had any Russian stuff before, maybe a MiG-15...

Going to Brighton was a big deal, as it it was a bit of on public transport from  Rodmell.   

I know I went with After my folks split, and went with my old man,  who had a car,  but  being a screamingly right on lecturer at Sussex university *, he did not approve or war like toys and thought plastic models were...you know, plastic and lacked creativity. 

I was rationed them out when I went to see him every other weekend.   I don't recall this happening again either.   

Not that it mattered, mum was quite happy for me to do them....and i did,   I must have done about 100+ in 75-76,   one week basic, plus xmas and birthdays. 

* in 1972 or so he went and got us all afghan coats.   I refused to wear mine as it stank.   I was 6.  I hated flares as well.  Still do.

Also, if any of you have read Malcolm Bradbury -The History Man,  I suspect it was based on Sussex Uni in the 70's.... 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_History_Man

I digress..... But I just LOVED that Pe-2 with it's Polish markings.....

PS 

8 hours ago, Ozzy said:

the Zvezda kit looks very nice but Unfortunately I've not been able to find one. 

Has been reboxed by Edaurd,  with some PE, and i think better decals, certainly more interesting schemes. 

https://www.eduard.com/eduard/peshka-1-48.html

The alternative resin parts for late Pe-2 series.
Decals designed in cooperation with Begemot Decals. Re-release.

plastic parts: Zvezda

No. of decal options: 5

decals: Eduard

PE parts: yes, color

painting mask: yes

resin parts: yes, undercarriage wheels, alternative propellers and top fuselage window

at one point Creative were doing them for a silly price, £22 or £24 posted....   

Which reminds me.....how many Pe-2s have i got?   5 or 6 in 1/48th...(Zvezda, Edaurd 2 or 3 MPM, Hipm?  )... and a couple of Airfix I picked up for nostalgia. 

All date back to the wreck above though.

• Like 7

11 hours ago, TonyW said:

Good choice.

I'm yet another modeller who didn't find the kit when it first came out. I built one a few years ago and was surprised how big it was.

Tony

Thanks Tony,

i dont build many aircraft these day, I hang them from the bottom of my shelves. I will put the hook a bit further out for this one.

11 hours ago, Avereda said:

If you have any trouble with the decals let me know, I may be able to help out.

Thanks Avereda,

I'll let you know how I get on.

8 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

It’s a nice kit. Love that blue plastic. Built it once as a kid, once as an adult (in a GB here I think), enjoyed it both times but the second time took longer than a day! Classic Airfix at its -er- most classic!

There is a lot of research on Russian PE-2 colour schemes, and the one certain conclusion is that it wasn’t a two colour green and brown scheme like the instructions would have you believe. This website is my go-to reference for all things VVS FWIW.

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian,

there are some nice pictures, I had seen someone built the 1/48 version with a nice 3 colour camouflage in the RFI section. We your link and that thread it will build a nice kit.

7 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

Well I DID get one!  as a pack rat.... authentic 1975 era slapped together one Saturday afternoon.... painted in proper airfix paint, the underside was a specified mix, white (M10) and IIRC Blue...no, had to look that one up, M27

I think I put some varnish on the decals later as they were flaking.  Sorry about the dust.   it lives on my kitchen window shelves ( I made some clear shelves out of hollow core clear plastic glazing so I could geminate plants... now they are full of tat, like this)

49795669622_74526ba044_b.jpg50621051 by losethekibble, on Flickr

49794818958_114898ddd2_b.jpg50621052 by losethekibble, on Flickr

Purchased at the Toy and Model market in Churchill Square, Brighton.  I had some cash,  I presume birthday money, and got EIGHT kits!!!!!!

I know I also got the Il-2 (still survives in similar state) and Yak-9 (reduced to bits, but still painted) not sure what else,  these 3 stick in my mind.  I don't think I had any Russian stuff before, maybe a MiG-15...

Going to Brighton was a big deal, as it it was a bit of on public transport from  Rodmell.   

I know I went with After my folks split, and went with my old man,  who had a car,  but  being a screamingly right on lecturer at Sussex university *, he did not approve or war like toys and thought plastic models were...you know, plastic and lacked creativity. 

I was rationed them out when I went to see him every other weekend.   I don't recall this happening again either.   

Not that it mattered, mum was quite happy for me to do them....and i did,   I must have done about 100+ in 75-76,   one week basic, plus xmas and birthdays. 

* in 1972 or so he went and got us all afghan coats.   I refused to wear mine as it stank.   I was 6.  I hated flares as well.  Still do.

Also, if any of you have read Malcolm Bradbury -The History Man,  I suspect it was based on Sussex Uni in the 70's.... 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_History_Man

I digress..... But I just LOVED that Pe-2 with it's Polish markings.....

PS 

Has been reboxed by Edaurd,  with some PE, and i think better decals, certainly more interesting schemes. 

https://www.eduard.com/eduard/peshka-1-48.html

at one point Creative were doing them for a silly price, £22 or £24 posted....   

Which reminds me.....how many Pe-2s have i got?   5 or 6 in 1/48th...(Zvezda, Edaurd 2 or 3 MPM, Hipm?  )... and a couple of Airfix I picked up for nostalgia. 

All date back to the wreck above though.

Wow, thanks Troy,

im not sure any of my builds survived from the early 90's, I'm very impressed with yours from the mid 70's. I did find an II-2 in a newsagents when I visited my Nan one Saturday afternoon. I will lookout for an eduard boxing thanks again.

• Like 2

That original box artwork has always been one of my favourites.

Despite the inaccurate fuselage cross-section, I've always liked this kit, building it twice. The first was for my 12th birthday, the second time was oh, maybe 30 years later.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, klr said:

That original box artwork has always been one of my favourites.

Despite the inaccurate fuselage cross-section, I've always liked this kit, building it twice. The first was for my 12th birthday, the second time was oh, maybe 30 years later.

Thanks Kir,

sounds like you were one of the luck ones, it's the first time I've seen the box art as I grew up with the built model on the plans boxes. The art work is rather good, a nice bit of action.

I got one, out of a shop in Thrapston about 1971.

It should probably concern me that I can hardly remember my own address these days but I can remember that...

John 

• Haha 8

On 21 April 2020 at 23:10, John said:

I got one, out of a shop in Thrapston about 1971.

It should probably concern me that I can hardly remember my own address these days but I can remember that...

John 

Thanks John,

its amazing what modelling memories we can remember, 

• Like 1

image.jpg

Thanks to @AdrianMF pointing out the camouflage was 3 tone, I've treated myself to this set. Looking forward to them arriving to allow me to start.

• Like 4

Keen to follow this one. I’ve never even contemplated acquiring or building this kit, however now that all you chaps are chatting about it, I’ll probably think twice if I see one going cheap at a swap meet! 
Cheers and best of luck.. Dave 

• Like 2

It was one of these really good value Series 2 kits like the Blenheim. Big aircraft, moving parts and I think the undercarriage could be made to retract? Great fun. It also looked cool.

This is the boxing I had:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/airfix-258-russian-pe2--165219

A load of lovely light blue plastic crammed into one of those tiny boxes.

John

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Keen to follow this one. I’ve never even contemplated acquiring or building this kit, however now that all you chaps are chatting about it, I’ll probably think twice if I see one going cheap at a swap meet! 
Cheers and best of luck.. Dave 

Thanks Dave,

l'm excited to start the build, I'm glad I'm not the only one who didn't manage to build the kit as a kid. When I saw it at a show, it was definitely going to be my build for this GB.

1 hour ago, John said:

It was one of these really good value Series 2 kits like the Blenheim. Big aircraft, moving parts and I think the undercarriage could be made to retract? Great fun. It also looked cool.

John

Thanks John,

I definitely remember getting my money's worth on the Blenheim kit, I do like the Airfix did/ do I grew up with the boring built kit on some plans. Not as inspiring as the early box arts.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, John said:

John

No, but Airfix were clever in providing pieces with lowered doors molded in place for each main undercarriage unit. If you've ever seen the Airfix P-38, it's the same concept, although not as well done. The P-38 parts show a full-size main undercarriage bay (pretty impressive single-piece molding for the time), but the there's no real "depth" in the equivalent Pe 2 parts.

Edited by klr
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Hewy said:

Hello ozzy, a nice kit, i hope it builds up smoothly for you👍

Thanks Glynn,

Hopefully, i I must have rose tinted specticals as I've never been troubled with fit problems from Airfix.

23 hours ago, klr said:

No, but Airfix were clever in providing pieces with lowered doors molded in place for each main undercarriage unit. If you've ever seen the Airfix P-38, it's the same concept, although not as well done. The P-38 parts show a full-size main undercarriage bay (pretty impressive single-piece molding for the time), but the there's no real "depth" in the equivalent Pe 2 parts.

Thanks Kir,

thanks for the tip off, I'm not sure wheels up or down yet.

• Like 2

On 19/04/2020 at 15:42, Ozzy said:

I think I’m going for the Russian scheme.

I see you have had the wrong colours pointed out... and are awaiting new ones.

on this page are two templates for Pe-2's in 3 colour upper scheme

http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/colors/1943-45-bombers/1943-45bombers.html

tem-pe2-43r.jpg

tem-pe2-43-br.jpg

but there was quite  a variation in application.

I have not seen a photo of the Airfix Soviet plane,  but as long as the stars don't have yellow outlines,  they should be useable.  

The 3 tone uppers are quite striking 

this is a too brown image of a B-25 on  a test flight in the USA, despite what the caption says, but when the US stopped camouflage, the VVS still wanted planes painted,  so they were painted to VSS specification pattern and colours,  in the US, in American paint.

scan0009-jpg.53159

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Might I say that as nice as this kit is, it is more a Pe-3. 

Late Pe-2 had the turret as did the -3 but the glazing on the -2 nose came up round the sides of the fuselage whereas the -3 glazing was the same as the Airfix kit.

I'm currently finishing mine as a Finnish one, thus I've been studying photos of them.

• Like 1