New Airfix 1/72 Sherman Firefly & Tiger I

Wm Blecky

I was just over at Hannants' website and saw that Airfix will be releasing a new Sherman Firefly kit and Tiger I

spacer.png

These are listed as "NEW TOOL", so I am looking forward to seeing them.  I am hoping that they are well done.  If you can find a Dragon Firefly kit, it usually sells for outrageous money.  To my knowledge, no one has gotten the Tiger I's turret shape correct - something else I am hoping that Airfix paid attention and got right.

• Like 3

It depends which Airfix turns up on the day.  I thought the Cromwell was very good but the Tiger II was mediocre with things one doesn't expect in new 21st century moulds like moulded-on towing cables.  Are Airfix really going to show us what they can do or are they content to offer middle-of-the-road pot boilers, the Matchbox de nos jours?  Their former allies Heller have set the bar very high for 1/72 Shermans (no Fireflies though).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at the Airfix website these have only 39 parts for the Tiger and 31 parts for the Sherman.

The 1:76 Cromwell has 91 parts. 

It may suggest that these kits may be targeted at the wargamers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

On 4/25/2020 at 11:30 AM, Seahawk said:

It depends which Airfix turns up on the day.  I thought the Cromwell was very good but the Tiger II was mediocre with things one doesn't expect in new 21st century moulds like moulded-on towing cables.  Are Airfix really going to show us what they can do or are they content to offer middle-of-the-road pot boilers, the Matchbox de nos jours?  Their former allies Heller have set the bar very high for 1/72 Shermans (no Fireflies though).

I couldn't agree more.  I had the Heller Sherman kits and they were every bit as good as Dragon's offerings, if not even better in many regards.  It's a pity that Heller didn't expand their line to include a Sherman Firefly. 

On 5/4/2020 at 8:17 PM, Cyberduck said:

Looking at the Airfix website these have only 39 parts for the Tiger and 31 parts for the Sherman.

The 1:76 Cromwell has 91 parts. 

It may suggest that these kits may be targeted at the wargamers

You could very well be correct - which would be very disappointing.  I stopped buying Dragon armour kits when they chinced out and took short cuts with the running gear and several other aspects of their 1/72 kits.

I have the new Airfix Sherman on pre-order with Hannants, but before I drop any money for it, I'll be looking for some reviews and pictures of the parts.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bonhoff said:

IIRC both kits will be made available in simplified and more detailed versions eventually.

IanJ 

That would be most welcomed.  Although, I'd prefer they release their more detailed kit first.

I hope the the artwork for the Firefly is not what Airfix are recommending the modeller to finish the model as.  It is totally fictitious, seems to be based on some vague notion of the scheme used in Italy in 1943.  Fireflys were finished in plain SCC.15 Olive Drab, British shade that is.  Don't these companies do any proper research?

On 5/15/2020 at 10:45 PM, Seahawk said:

Might be a sign that they plan to issue a “straight” M4A4 Sherman V at some point in the future?  Makes sense, to get the maximum return from the moulds.

let's hope so