1/72 Hasegawa F-15C MA ANG

Another spring project...

1/72 Hasegawa F-15C with Caracal CD72013 Decals.  This is an old but excellent kit and was a straightforward build.  I had some trouble getting the right blend of Ghost Grays but found some helpful advise on this forum.  Thanks everyone!

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 26

I'd like to do one of the "48th C's & this looks really nice, I like that alot!

Did you use straight colors or did you mix up your own in the end? Which paints were they. I've noticed with so called exact "company" matches that if you try painting two tone "ghost" schemes that the paints contrast too much, where on the actual aircraft you often see that the two shades are very close in tone.

Martin

Hi Martin,

I started with this for a reference but found it to be too dark.  I used Vallejo Acrylics (becoming my favorite) and ended up mixing small amounts of white to the 36176 per recommendations on this forum to take the tone down.

https://www.cybermodeler.com/aircraft/f-15/f-15_profile02.shtml

The 2 tone ghost scheme is even closer out of the bottle so has to be adjusted as well.

Having lived in Massachusetts years ago, I remember seeing F-15's at Cape Cod until they moved to Barnes.  Some of the best airshow demos!

23 hours ago, ngdriver said:

Hi Martin,

I started with this for a reference but found it to be too dark.  I used Vallejo Acrylics (becoming my favorite) and ended up mixing small amounts of white to the 36176 per recommendations on this forum to take the tone down.

https://www.cybermodeler.com/aircraft/f-15/f-15_profile02.shtml

The 2 tone ghost scheme is even closer out of the bottle so has to be adjusted as well.

Having lived in Massachusetts years ago, I remember seeing F-15's at Cape Cod until they moved to Barnes.  Some of the best airshow demos!

Thanks for that, I mainly use Vallejo, Mig & Hataka so when I get round to doing one of our "locals" i'll try that with the white & get that subtle blend!

Here's one of my shots from Lakenheath..

31900637425_419516a252_b.jpgMcDonnell Douglas F-15C Eagle USAF 84-027 493rd LN 5 by Martin Laurance, on Flickr

• Like 3

Very nice job ngdriver. I am slowly putting together one of these kits and back dating it to an A model with original Oregon ANG markings. I have been fighting the intakes and the  cockpit to fuselage join. It looks like you have mastered both of them on yours.

Cheers

Phil

• 3 weeks later...

Actually I started with the Academy F-15 which is a great kit - tooling, detail, etc. - but had to put it into the "another day" box because the intake was a disaster.  Could not get the proper alignment and fit.  I'll tackle that again later LOL.