Airfix BMW R69 Motorcycle

On 5/18/2020 at 5:20 PM, modelling minion said:

That engine block does look very neat and tidy, good work.

Thanks, I think it’s going to be worth the effort 

On 5/18/2020 at 8:22 PM, Dansk said:

Looking great. I love the instructions 🤗

Cheers, me too 

On 5/19/2020 at 2:11 AM, AdrianMF said:

Never seen an Airfix motorbike before - watching with great interest!

Regards,

Adrian

I wish I could afford all of them, the others tend to be quite pricey

On 5/19/2020 at 7:36 PM, Hewy said:

I know you've cleaned it up but The engine looks a tidy molding, and those spokes don't look bad either 👍

It’s not that bad considering the age of the kit, all parts need a reasonable amount of attention though.

Before I move on some questions for those who understand stuff about engines and how motorbikes work as I genuinely know nothing. I’m going to add some cables as I have some Slaters Rod which will do nicely. I’ve identified what I think are the throttle cable and the spark plug cable (see picture) , I’m assuming the following:

The throttle cable runs to the same point (carburettor?) either side of the engine block and to the throttle on the right hand of the handlebar.

A clutch cable from the lever on the left hand of the handlebar runs to the clutch on the right hand side of the rear wheel.

A front brake cable runs from the brake lever on the right hand side of the handlebar to the front wheel.

49947757086_9a91fa776e_b.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

That all sounds about right to me, if you want to go ott ,foot brake (rear)cable to back wheel (right hand side) petrol pipe from tank to top of the carburettor the one to the left in your picture next to the throttle cable, speedo cable down to the front wheel,

But Remember , all  thats optional, make sure you enjoy it  firstly , there's bound to be some reference online,if you want to do it 👍

On 5/29/2020 at 3:35 PM, Hewy said:

That all sounds about right to me, if you want to go ott ,foot brake (rear)cable to back wheel (right hand side) petrol pipe from tank to top of the carburettor the one to the left in your picture next to the throttle cable, speedo cable down to the front wheel,

Thanks for that @Hewy, very useful. I’ll do the main cables, if anything gets too fiddly I’ll leave it. The petrol pipe is included as a kit part I think so I shouldn’t have to worry about that.

Cheers @stevej60, the link is very informative and also corrects the scale - Scalemates also suggest 1:11 is probably closer.

• Like 1

A quick update to show that there’s still some progress. Vallejo Metal Colours, Chrome for the wheel rim and spokes, Dull Aluminium for the other metal parts. The tyres will eventually get Tyre/Rubber Black of some description, Vallejo Gloss Black will so pretty much everything else.

49981012792_1a56bcc50e_b.jpg

• Like 9

• 2 months later...

This one’s not going to make it over the line unfortunately. A combination of household problems (now resolved) and the heatwave have kept me off the bench for a while now. Some good news though, after a bumpy few months Avereda Jnr is off to university in September which should free up bench time for Avereda Str.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Very sorry that this isn't going to make it but we all understand perfectly well how real life gets in the way of our hobby, and it is only a hobby and comes second to a great many things.

Congratulations on Avereda Jnr getting in to university, just make sure you change the locks or move as mine came back from university and I can't get rid of the bugger!

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Avereda said:

This one’s not going to make it over the line unfortunately. A combination of household problems (now resolved) and the heatwave have kept me off the bench for a while now. Some good news though, after a bumpy few months Avereda Jnr is off to university in September which should free up bench time for Avereda Str.

No worries thats how it goes sometimes -

but I am really looking forward to see it progress when you get back to it. It looked so good so far.

• 1 month later...
On 8/16/2020 at 8:54 PM, Dansk said:

No worries thats how it goes sometimes -

but I am really looking forward to see it progress when you get back to it. It looked so good so far.

Time to kickstart this again. Problems with the glossy black and airbrush have been holding me up so I’ve decided to finish it mainly with a paintbrush. Photo shows progress and a bit of dry fitting before the rear wheel is assembled. If one the mods can shift this to an appropriate forum then I’d be very grateful.

50393122768_bb5d39d2d4_b.jpg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

Great to see you continuing your excellent work on this.

I have moved it to WIP section of civil vehicles for you, hope that is where you wanted it.

That’s grand, thank you very much

• Like 2

On 10/1/2020 at 8:55 PM, Orso said:

Glad to see this being built. I also have one in the stash. The only scale I have seen written on the boxes are 1/72!!!!!!!!😀

I reckon 1/72 would make the original the size of a modern jet fighter.

I’ve done a bit more assembling, when you’re used to fiddling about with 1/72 propellor aircraft this is a whole new ball game - clamps and pliers required for the rear wheel.

50418346327_dbe99fb737_b.jpg

• Like 4

A bit more assembly, starting to get quite fiddly now but seems to be going ok. Not quite sure how I’m going to fit the battery though, the instructions say “locate and cement between rear mainframe crossbar and lug on the rear of the engine” -easier said than done. A little touch up on the seat piping might be required as well.

50430688521_648b12ceb9_b.jpg

50429998258_d5187bdb78_b.jpg

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Natter said:

I know it's only dry fit, but the front brake linkage is below the front axle.  You have the left and right front brake plates transposed in the photo above.

All good knowledge, cheers. You’ll be pleased to know that the front wheel is only acting as a prop for the forks at the moment so all should be good.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

There’s a slim possibility I might get this done within a year which would be very exciting. I reckon there’s about half a dozen parts to be added, possibly some cables and possibly some prevarication over the number plates. Also the brake pedal requires some reworking - limited scratchbuilding to follow. 

51009540302_a1e458274a_b.jpg

51009440831_f01904ec7d_b.jpg

• Like 3