Airfix BMW R69 Motorcycle

More accurately, the kit I never finished as a kid. This time I’m going to see it through to the end - positive thinking or self-delusion, we shall see.

49044114836_0413bb0b9a_b.jpg

• Like 18

3 hours ago, Dansk said:

Great stuff! How big is it?

It’s one of the old Airfix 1:16 series, can’t wait to get started.

Earlier build by a BM member here

Here we go then, the box and ancient evidence of a Woolies sale

49817785902_a61da46980_b.jpg

49817785807_db3cecea62_b.jpg

Nice white styrene and the instructions

49817479291_0431470032_b.jpg

It might be a few days before I get cracking, the Storch in the Nordic GB should take priority but you know how it goes.

• Like 13

31 minutes ago, TonyW said:

I built an Aerial Arrow years ago, that's my lot for the Airfix bikes. I'll enjoy watching this one come together.

Tony.

If they were still 82p a pop I’d do the lot.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Did Airfix ever make the Vincent Black shadow motorcycle as a kit ? If so may have to find one of them ? 

Dennis

Matchbox did, but not Airfix. It was a nice kit. I don't know offhand if Revell have re-released it. 

John 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, John said:

Matchbox did, but not Airfix. It was a nice kit. I don't know offhand if Revell have re-released it. 

John 

Revell did re-release it a while back but not sure if it was out for long as never found a copy in any model shops :( 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Off and running, start with wheels say the instructions and who am I to disagree. Plenty of mould line/flash to deal with so updates will be slow in coming for a while.

49883034816_9253ab0a47_b.jpg

• Like 9

On 5/11/2020 at 11:01 PM, Ruskin Air Services said:

Oh great choice, my Auntie gave this one to me as a birthday present - 1981. I recall opening up the box packed with white plastic and thinking hmm not my usual fare matchbox tanks and Airfix planes! 

I’m pretty sure my original version was bought as a “holiday” present from J.R.Taylor’s in Bridlington c.1973-75.

• Like 2

There’s something quite pleasing about the fact the kit is built in part number order, so much so that I might present the rest of the build as follows (the highlighting shows where I’m up to)

49893882302_443aaabc8c_b.jpg

Keep cement from wheel and check wheel revolves around hubs - hmmm, this isn’t actually possible without some modifications and I’m fairly sure I don’t really want moving wheels.

• Like 10

The cylinders needed a fair bit of work so it’s been slowish going the last few days. The engine block is pretty much complete now though there may be a bit of scratching of cables and pipes to liven things up a bit.

49909266741_c5ac6ae9de_b.jpg

• Like 12