Does this bloke do nowt but oldies?

Afternoon folk's at the moment no! Built for the Spitfire GB is the venerable 1/72 Vb from 1974,it was a £3:99 cheapie from King Kit just for nostalgia.

Brush painted I re-cut the major panel lines and added a wash,the ailerons were cut and teased into place and a bit of graphite used for exhaust and gun 

staining,took just over a week.Many thank's for looking in.

20200418_161719 20200418_161735

20200418_161801

20200418_161810

20200418_161942 20200418_161951

20200418_161959

20200418_162037

20200418_162116

• Like 62
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Lovely job. It's still one of my favourite Spitfire kits - accurate without being over complex. I've built it twice in recent years, one as Zumbach's aircraft and another in the colours of Irish ace "Paddy" Finucane.

• Like 1

Was it really back in 1974? 😲 I'd been building models for at least 3 years. Prior to its release, the only Spitfire I'd  ever built the old Airfix 15 or 16 piece MkIX with the solid wings.  

I love to see builds of older kits, its such a nostalgia trip, this one especially, thank  you.

It's a lovely build you have done, which took me straight back to days of  sitting at the kitchen table with a kit, a tube of Airfix adhesive with obligatory sewing pin to seal the end, a little orange craft knife, a nail file,  bottles of paints ( tins hadn't come out yet) and brushes. I'd be holding the bag (unless it was a series 2 +) of my latest purchase, looking at the contents.  Within an hour or two the kit would be built painted and left to dry, ready for supper, the football score, Dr Who and  decals - Happy days!!😁😁😁

So with the lockdown, thank you for bringing a smile to the face of us oldies, who remember stacks of kits at Woolies, when a series 1 kit could be bought for less than 50 pence.👍

Edited by Radpoe Spitfire
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Radpoe Spitfire said:

Was it really back in 1974? 😲 I'd been building models for at least 3 years. Prior to its release, the only Spitfire I'd  ever built the old Airfix 15 or 16 piece MkIX with the solid wings.  

I love to see builds of older kits, its such a nostalgia trip, this one especially, thank  you.

It's a lovely build you have done, which took me straight back to days of  sitting at the kitchen table with a kit, a tube of Airfix adhesive with obligatory sewing pin to seal the end, a little orange craft knife, a nail file,  bottles of paints ( tins hadn't come out yet) and brushes. I'd be holding the bag (unless it was a series 2 +) of my latest purchase, looking at the contents.  Within an hour or two the kit would be built painted and left to dry, ready for supper, the football score, Dr Who and  decals - Happy days!!😁😁😁

So with the lockdown, thank you for bringing a smile to the face of us oldies, who remember stacks of kits at Woolies, when a series 1 kit could be bought for less than 50 pence.👍

You can't be that old. I remember Series One kits being 2/6 (12.5p).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eric Mc said:

You can't be that old. I remember Series One kits being 2/6 (12.5p).

Before September 1966 they were 2/- and the Lancaster and B17 were 7/6. I remember buying the Matador and 5.5 howziter and from the Woolies in Sherwood and was disappointed to find the price had gone up, I think to 2/3. In the mid sixties as a twelve year old I used to walk from home to the road Woolies was on, it also had a toy/model shop that had some odd scale Heller kits and some interesting other shops, all of course now long gone. Very nice build of what was for a long time one of the better Spitfire kits. 

• Like 1

I lived in Ireland back in the 1960s and the Series 1 kits were a little bit more expensive than in the UK. I used to love going into the Woolworths in George's St Dublin and gawping at the array of Airfix kits all laid out on the counters.

• Like 1

Superb build Steve, also have happy memories of building this myself as a kid, though not as early as some, for me it would have been being 8 or 9 in the late 80s. Really worth the effort you have put in, great result 😀

• Like 1

Very beautiful Spitfire. Wish I could build that well in that scale. I'm old enough to remember the Comet and Aurora kits that sold for 29 cents here in the U.S. In 1968, when Hasegawa was relatively new, I bought the 1/32 scale F-86F kit and we gasped that it sold for $4.50! I was working in a variety store when the Monogram 1/72 B-52D came out and my boss that I was crazy that I would spend a whole $15 for a plastic model airplane kit. Spent $35 just for paints the other day.

• Like 2