1/48 Airfix Spitfire XIX PS853

52 minutes ago, stoohoo said:

Wow, didnt even realise it has been 6 years since this kit came out, scary how time flies! Brilliant result mate, always look forward to your posts and this is lovely. Particularly like the weathering you have done to the prop, how did you achieve it?

Yeah, I couldn't believe it had been that long either! There are lots of kits I still think of as "new" that have been out for a while now.

As for the prop, I painted it up in my usual way with Tamiya acrylics. NATO Black for the base color, German Grey for some variation in color and some streaking, and some sponge chipping with Vallejo Neutral Grey. After applying the prop decals I felt they were far too bright and bold, so I gave it another light misting of super thinned NATO Black to tone them down. 

I believe the effect you're asking about is the final step - I cleared them with AK Matte like the rest of the plane and then with a brush and toothpick I spattered them with AK Ultra Matte. So it's almost a trick of the light, more visible from some angles than others. 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, stoohoo said:

Thanks mate, that last step is exactly the one i was wondering about, it looks very effective!

Thanks! I like little simple tricks that make a big difference 😉

That! is really nicely done. I keep coming back to have another look and to study the details, and skill employed. There looks to be a lot of subtle work going on here. I particularly like the way the leading edge of the wings has come out and the riveting too.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Peter W said:

Absolutely gorgeous, aside from the great build quality I especially like the scheme you've chosen. It's not a commonly seen one but definitely a great choice.

Pete 

Thanks! While looking for a bird to do I just happened to come across a wartime photo of PS853 and I was sold immediately

spacer.png

• Like 1

Really really nice.

Like others here, I'm really impressed with your paintwork and how coherent and realistic your end result is.

Oh, and isn't that vac canopy ultra clear?

Excellent. Top of the class :like:

SD

Edited by SafetyDad