1/48 Airfix Spitfire XIX PS853

Here's my latest off the bench, rescued from the shelf of doom after 6 years.

Spitfire XIX PS853
No 16 Sqdn
Belgium, April 1945

The Airfix kit is great, if a little fiddly at times. The biggest issue is the soft plastic Airfix uses these days, I miss the hard grey Tamiya/Hasegawa stuff they used in the late 90's. I did my best to address most of the issues but a few still slipped through the cracks. I started out with the surface detail - rescribing all of the panel lines so they are crisp and uniform and riveting the airframe. Most of the rest was addressed with aftermarket and the spares box. I used every available BarracudaCast set as well as some Eduard PE and transplanted the main gear and tail wheel from Eduard Spitfire VIII leftovers.

Aftermarket rundown:
- BarracudaCast cockpit
- BarracudaCast intake
- BarracudaCast exhaust
- BarracudaCast prop
- BarracudaCast wheels
- BarracudaCast vac canopy
- Eduard Zoom PE
- Eduard main gear legs/doors
- Eduard tail wheel
- Miracle Paint Masks
- Kits World stencil decals
- AK Real Colors paints

Anyway, on to the pics!

lHa79Zg.jpg

1W90ZrC.jpg

iT9QvL3.jpg

gg4sX5w.jpg

Ohp44Mx.jpg

p10axRW.jpg

CNQJKpE.jpg

cru6d4x.jpg

RNzXae6.jpg

B6xXZVj.jpg

FboqZmx.jpg

PemHTxK.jpg

mz9Wt2U.jpg

57a80By.jpg

Scj12vs.jpg

7nIHh8i.jpg

IBdi9dx.jpg

EH6lRjV.jpg

• Like 52
  • Thanks 2

Perfect timing !..........Are you able to help me out with how you produced such a superb one-colour worn finish ?. I have just about reached the painting stage on my own PR.Mk.XIX but have been thoroughly confused with the plethora of suggestions on how bust to reproduce this type of finish without ending up with a model that looks like a toy. I've read about black primer, light grey primer, marbling, pre-shading, post-shading...the lot. How did you manage to get that superb finish on your model ?.

Pleased to see that my interior pretty much mirrors your own - Like you I am using a stack of the Barracuda improvement sets.

Brilliant finish

Well Done. Sir !   

Thanks! No fancy tricks for the finish here, really. I just laid down a base coat of PRU Blue over grey primer, then added a drop of white to the PRU and gave the whole plane a thin random mottle/marble layer. I used to use all of those other techniques under the base coat, but I find that for my needs it was just a bunch of unnecessary work.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Brewer said:

Thanks! No fancy tricks for the finish here, really. I just laid down a base coat of PRU Blue over grey primer, then added a drop of white to the PRU and gave the whole plane a thin random mottle/marble layer. I used to use all of those other techniques under the base coat, but I find that for my needs it was just a bunch of unnecessary work.

Great feedback............many thanks. I was toying with the idea of a standard basecoat with a very slightly adjusted and lighter layer over the centre of the panels but I can see that the random mottle/marble layer is just as effective.....especially once a light panel line wash has also been applied.

Thanks again for the tips. 

That is special. Beautiful build. 

Really like the finish, just goes to show all those laborious techniques the cognoscenti would have us use can be surpassed by just a good eye and an airbrush 😂

• Like 1

Wow, didnt even realise it has been 6 years since this kit came out, scary how time flies! Brilliant result mate, always look forward to your posts and this is lovely. Particularly like the weathering you have done to the prop, how did you achieve it?