1/32 - Douglas X-3 Stiletto resin kit by JETMADS - released

Homebee

Man, that is longer than 63cm! It was listed on their future kits page but I didn't expect it that quick let alone really expect it at all. Great news for me and having received the Skystreak and knowing what to expect I'm even more excited now :clap2: 

One of my favourite experimental planes and being a 32nd modeler for me a dream is coming true. No price information yet I see but I will prefer not to buy some other kits on my list if I will have to just to make finances for this one if necessary. Presuming it will be a kit in limited numbers I would never miss this. Wondering if the nose will be removable, displaying all the test equipment beneath, as that would be a very attractive display. Such an appealing detail for me is that the pilot's seat seems to be displayable in lowered position, I think that will just enrich the look of the model. I should start making some space on my collection shelves as this is a real big aircraft, in fact long and sleek rather than big. To give an idea it is longer than F-14, F-15 and F-4 thanks to its pointy nose and almost the same size with a Su-27 and you'll know what I mean if you've built any of these. If number of parts and size are the leading factors to set a price, well, I'm afraid to make a guess, but we will see. I hope there will be a preorder discount applied on this one too.    

• Like 1

On 4/18/2020 at 6:02 PM, SpeedyGonzales said:

Wondering if the nose will be removable, displaying all the test equipment beneath, as that would be a very attractive display.

That would be great indeed but I'm not sure if there's enough reference to be found on these equipment. I had intended to scratch build one a few years back in 1/32 and did not have much luck in finding them.

• 1 month later...

I asked them about the release schedule and price. They replied no exact date and price set, also added that it is still scheduled for autumn 2020 and they are trying to keep the price under 200 USD.

Assuming that this will be no less detailed than their Skystreak and having my Skystreak delivered a couple of days ago so knowing what I'm talking about, a resin kit of X-3 with that size and quality at around 200 USD sounds quite reasonble to me. Really looking forward to it...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, IvanVasili said:

I asked them about the release schedule and price. They replied no exact date and price set, also added that it is still scheduled for autumn 2020 and they are trying to keep the price under 200 USD.

Assuming that this will be no less detailed than their Skystreak and having my Skystreak delivered a couple of days ago so knowing what I'm talking about, a resin kit of X-3 with that size and quality at around 200 USD sounds quite reasonble to me. Really looking forward to it...

That's good info, thanks. I was wondering the price and that made me happy as I honestly was expecting higher than that, somewhere around 300 dollars. As a modeler I appreciate their effort to present such kits at these price levels. Their approach to mass produce resin kits seemed to work, which is great.

Interesting subject. I am not such a fan of early jets let alone the experimental ones, but this aircraft has a very groundbreaking design considering its predecessors. Pity that this sleek and pointy aircraft never got the engine power it was intended for, but I have always thought that its short wings and long fuselage inspired the F-104 Starfighter design. I may be tempted by the scale and size of the aircraft, so I'll follow with interest how the kit evolves. 

16 hours ago, F-4Guy said:

Interesting subject. I am not such a fan of early jets let alone the experimental ones, but this aircraft has a very groundbreaking design considering its predecessors. Pity that this sleek and pointy aircraft never got the engine power it was intended for, but I have always thought that its short wings and long fuselage inspired the F-104 Starfighter design. I may be tempted by the scale and size of the aircraft, so I'll follow with interest how the kit evolves. 

I've always thought the same. And I also been wondering how fast this bird would be flying if it ever had the J-79 engines the F-104 enjoyed. Two of them, like the F-4, would probably "fly" this thing :)

17 hours ago, F-4Guy said:

Pity that this sleek and pointy aircraft never got the engine power it was intended for, but I have always thought that its short wings and long fuselage inspired the F-104 Starfighter design. 

According to good old Wikipedia the data on the wing was available to Lockheed and used by them in the design of the Starfighter wing. 

The Stiletto was seriously underpowered with the engine thrust about 2/3 of what was intended. Supposedly to get through Mach 2 it struggled with Mach 1.  It’s still a cracking looking aircraft right out of the Boys Own comic   

Only one built so the decal sheet should present too many problems re which one to build

• Like 1

On 5/23/2020 at 8:50 PM, JohnT said:

According to good old Wikipedia the data on the wing was available to Lockheed and used by them in the design of the Starfighter wing. 

The Stiletto was seriously underpowered with the engine thrust about 2/3 of what was intended. Supposedly to get through Mach 2 it struggled with Mach 1.  It’s still a cracking looking aircraft right out of the Boys Own comic   

Only one built so the decal sheet should present too many problems re which one to build

Good info, thank you JohnT, wasn't aware of what Wikipedia said. That single airframe flew with many stencil and logo variations, from Douglas rollout to the last flight, therefore a well studied decal sheet may present many options I think, even for this only aircraft.

• Like 1

On 5/23/2020 at 8:18 PM, SpeedyGonzales said:

I've always thought the same. And I also been wondering how fast this bird would be flying if it ever had the J-79 engines the F-104 enjoyed. Two of them, like the F-4, would probably "fly" this thing :)

Well, a pair of J-79s would "fly" even a bulldozer :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Homebee changed the title to 1/32 - Douglas X-3 Stiletto resin kit by JETMADS - 3D renders - release in 2022
  • 5 months later...

Source: https://www.facebook.com/JETMADS2016/posts/pfbid09bAH3ABSNGtqWZn25gvbzDcwNnAHC3aHCMNNQRjqzyQxDymYENZcGTKLNz3uRzjCl

(...) - The design of the 1:32 X-3 Stiletto completely finished. Project design visuals to be showcased in June and reservations to follow, with preorders to commence in July. (...)

V.P.

• 1 month later...

Source: https://www.facebook.com/JETMADS2016/posts/pfbid05bL36erwR5kaiqaKLD5wjQwLAJJfNZt28Azx4kjVnbfBuL357zgq7feTduDGXstTl

1:32 X-3 "Stiletto"...

Reservations now open!

Details at https://www.jetmads.com/what-s-next

We would like to extend our deepest thanks to Mr Tony Landis for his most valuable contributions to this project and sharing with us some never-published materials and visual references, without which some authentical details and stencils the aircraft carried during its service life would not be possible to include in the kit.

289112077-1075566436698974-1972256642273

V.P.

16 hours ago, firefly7 said:

Just got confirmation of a reservation for 1 kit.  Can't wait.  Cheers, Ruben.

Have also made my reservation. They say that estimated delivery will be November/December 2022. That means with a little bit of luck we will get it in late 2023.

2022 they will be busy with production and shipping of the second run Viggen and Learjet kits. For my first Viggen it took 16 month from payment to delivery.

But I love the X-3 Stiletto since I was a young boy in the Seventies, so I will wait patiently.

• Like 1

I got my reservation confirmation for two kits today. 

I received my second run Viggen last week, this one arrived way faster than the first run, the schedule of which had been hardly affected by the pandemic. I have no problem with waiting the production of such custom made kits. These kits do not even exist in the first place until such niche manufacturers produce them and it is fine for me as long as they deliver no matter when.

• Homebee changed the title to 1/32 - Douglas X-3 Stiletto resin kit by JETMADS - 3D renders - release in 2023
  • 7 months later...
On 6/22/2022 at 10:50 PM, JohnMcDonnell said:

Sold one of my Viggens for 350$ two months ago. Three X-3s reserved now, two of them as an investment.

This sort of thing really annoys me, but that's life I suppose 😳 I'll have to learn to get in quicker and hope I still have the money handy at the exact time these small manufacturers suddenly announce their kits are going to market after months/years of guesswork 🫤

• Like 1