HMS Victorious (1961) in 1/200

On 7/7/2021 at 12:28 PM, Dancona said:

Thank you Crispin, talking about stunning work though, how are you and when are you coming home (with your Ark) ? we miss you !!

Making great progress, thanks David; the medics are really pleased with me and I feel better and better with every passing week.  Stamina is the only remaining legacy (quiet in the cheap seats), but that will return.  I still fall asleep after any prolonged concentration and/or effort.

We’re away on holiday at the moment (Appledore; lovely), so no modelling at all.  But Ark will not stay silent for long.

• Like 7

On 09/07/2021 at 10:17, heloman1 said:

You're making excellent progress, I liked the IPS funnel, I'm sure the ships company enjoyed emptying it!!!

Thanks Colin, and yes, I now have a large number of completely legless 1/200 scale northstar crewmembers (actually that is what happens when one tries to separate the little sods from their base) 😬

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Making great progress

Very glad to hear that, we all really do miss you here you know !!! (I know...you have been playing with colonial wingy things recently, but that's hardly appropriate for a grown up !)

3 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

I still fall asleep after any prolonged concentration and/or effort.

Ah well, if its any consolation  I seem to have had that problem my entire adult life, it just means we are "artistic" creative types operating on a higher level, well that's my rather lame excuse, actually I think you do have a much better one though !!

Looking forward to seeing the mighty Ark wot is more brass than plastic again !

Get well soon

David

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

I still fall asleep after any prolonged concentration and/or effort.

Gidday, I manage it without any effort at all. Just put me in a meeting or in front of a screen. 😴

I'm looking forward to seeing more progress in both of your builds. Regards, Jeff.

• Haha 3

On 13/07/2021 at 13:04, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday, I manage it without any effort at all. Just put me in a meeting or in front of a screen. 😴

I know the feeling.  It can take me 4 nights to watch a one hour programme these days!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 1 month later...

Got a little update on the progress of the beast, at last it is starting to look vaguely like the real one, , though there is still a very long way to go.

All of the hull is now blocked in, and my current efforts are being directed towards getting the general lines and surfaces running properly before things like the armoured belt, gash chutes (various) and lots and lots of openings n stuff.

hull3 (2)

Port side taped up and taking shape, next stop a bit of filler I fear !

hull1

I suspect that this phase is going to take weeks to get it all correct, but I'm cautiously optimistic that I can (if you know what I mean).

hull4

Starboard side, I think I will sort out the surfaces on the other side completely and the drop onto this side, try to keep it manageable (he said, rashly using the word manageable with reference to a 4ft long aircraft carrier !)

hull9

hull8

hull15

hull20

I will post some more pictures of the surfacing operation as it progresses !

Cheers from the dark side !!

David

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

I would say looking more than vaguely like the real one what a difference from the skeleton like shape we have been admiring for such a long time just a shame about covering most of all that amazing detail in the many openings pity you had not included a lighting system just saying.  :whistle:

Stay Safe

beefy

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/08/2021 at 21:06, beefy66 said:

pity you had not included a lighting system just saying.  :whistle:

Not that again beefy, electricity just doesn't like me very much, that really would be asking for trouble 💥

Thanks guys for your kind comments, I now face quite a long time fettling and surfacing the hull before adding the edge section around all the hull openings and stuff like that, I've also got to figure out how to do the numerous rails on all overhanging parts of the hull, I'm thinking wire loops (Bobs Buckles type) set onto the hull (I will need hundreds I fear) threaded with suitably fine wire, if anyone has any other ideas I would be pleased to hear them.

Just as another bit of Vic lore, the RN´s favourite cartoonist TUGG Wilson was onboard for the 1961 world tour, and contributed to the Vic Times regularly, so here are a couple of early TUGGs from the family line book, sheer genius !!

Tugg 3

And one can see Victorious´s distinctive rounded stern in the background of this one

Tugg 4

Stay safe fellow sufferers, and thank you !!

Cheers

David

• Like 5
  • Haha 6

On 23/08/2021 at 14:34, Dancona said:

I suspect that this phase is going to take weeks to get it all correct, but I'm cautiously optimistic that I can (if you know what I mean).

Looking very nice David, well done...  However, I can see the next hill to climb, and the next, and the next...  Keep going, it will be a great model once complete...

42 minutes ago, Steve D said:

However, I can see the next hill to climb, and the next, and the next...  Keep going, it will be a great model once complete...

You are absolutely right as a scratchbuilt project, it is a series of hills to climb and you must know that better than anyone, I have followed all of your builds and their hills avidly, I must admit that I too am now totally addicted to the satisfaction one gets in the research, planning, the build itself and the all too frequent "course corrections" required when things go pear shaped !

The wonderful thing about "scratching it" is the freedom there is in subject matter, I'm already having thoughts about a 1/200 HMS Iron Duke, or a "Splendid Cat", I confess I have a big Trumpy Hood with Pontos bits waiting in the stash, but at the moment the thought of it leaves me a bit cold as a lot of the interesting bits of the process have already been done by someone else !

3 hours ago, longshanks said:

A superb base to work on .....

Thanks Kev, (another of the scratchbuilding Gurus in the neighbourhood), you are right it is very much a blank (and wobbly) canvas at the moment, but its a huge relief to have got to the stage where I have a hull, now I need to add all the gribbly bits to it, and then of course the flight deck...and the superstructure.....the airwing, figures, seascape,  oh Christ what have I started !!

And another 1961 Vic Times TUGG

Tugg 1

Cheers

David

• Like 7
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Dancona said:

You are absolutely right as a scratchbuilt project, it is a series of hills to climb and you must know that better than anyone

I always look at these things as long series of individual projects that just get stored on the deck, makes the prospect more assailable :phew:  Looking really good though, difficult subject.

Exciting, we have finally moved in to the new house and the workshop is almost ready to use,  new thread starting soon...

Cheers

Steve

• 1 month later...

Time for a bit of an update I feel, though I must admit it is a little difficult to actually see the amount of work it has taken to get it to this stage, and this is only the port side !!

My aim has been to get the lines and surfaces right before I add all of the additional detail, though framing all of the hull openings was something that I felt I had to do at this stage once I was reasonably confident that the areas around them were reasonably OK. Next stage will be a coat of Mr Surfacer, followed by anger, denial, half a bottle of brandy and finally acceptance, before a lot more work !!

Anyway here are some latest status shots, I promise I will post the bare and untouched result soon after it has been squirted, (to provide some collective shoulders to cry on).

51630797503_9e3ae28839_o

51630797403_e4d26b5f5a_o

The surrounds are 0.5 mm diameter evergreen rod, not a job I am not looking forward to doing on the starboard side.

51630573521_501f9307a8_o

51630797173_e3987d2437_o

51631221539_bfb2930f28_o

51631221434_efe4d3c599_o

51631221519_d5fceda92e_o

Cheers and thanks for looking !!

David

• Like 22

Fantastic progress David. That's a neat device on the bottom of the hull, which must make working on her much easier.

She's going to need a serious amount of paint I would imagine!

Terry

• Thanks 1