HMS Victorious (1961) in 1/200

On 22/05/2021 at 20:27, Vlamgat9 said:

Wow. Just wow. This is incredible.

Many thanks, you are very kind, but I must confess that this project is a little like that thought experiment involving an infinite number of monkeys at an infinite number of typewriters, that's why its taking so long  !!!!

On 22/05/2021 at 21:51, Terry1954 said:

I just love that little Whirlwind!

Im rather fond of it too, although I do wake up in the middle of the night covered in sweat at the thought of seven more !!

Cheers

David

• Haha 2

On 27/05/2021 at 12:40, heloman1 said:

Neat work on the sea boats and the flats(?).

Thanks Colin, this certainly is not going to be a quick project, I strongly suspect that the internet will have been superseded by the time it is finished, but I hope that the end result is worth it !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dancona said:

Thanks Colin, this certainly is not going to be a quick project, I strongly suspect that the internet will have been superseded by the time it is finished, but I hope that the end result is worth it !

From what I have seen and I've only ever built one ship, the AIrfix Amazon as Antelope my brother-in-laws first commission as navigator. Then can be very time consuming. I have a friend down here in SA, he has four galleons on the go, all taking more than four years to construct. I can't say builds as they are construction projects!

Then another friend up in Johannesburg is building ll the ships involved in the sinking of the Bismark. I think he's been on the project more that twenty years!!!

Chin up and crack on....

Colin

• Haha 1

A couple of quick developments, I have been trying to add some of the mechanisms that enable the boats to be run out on the rails, it is quite a visible area, but ironically I can only find a few dark and blurry photos of the crank linkage, but it must have been fairly close to this I guess.

bays 1 (2)

And finally boxed in....................

bays 8

......but more exciting still, it fits !!!

bays 9

So the port side is pretty much sorted now 

bays 11

bays 15

So its starting to get back to being a ship again, if still a little on the skeletal side !!

bays 14

It really is a monster !!!!

Cheers

David

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

David,

Just caught up with this build, love scratch building as everyone knows and I'll forgive the plastic at this scale :wink:

Those boat decks are great fun and executed really well 👍

Great job so far, I'll follow from now on if I may

Cheers

Steve

• Thanks 1

On 01/06/2021 at 11:13, robgizlu said:

The final shot is a stark reminder as to just how big this is ( a LOT of modelling!!)

Rob, you are the master of understatement, though if it takes me half as long as it did to restore my old car (22 years) I will treat it as a win !!! 

On 02/06/2021 at 14:17, Steve D said:

love scratch building as everyone knows and I'll forgive the plastic at this scale :wink:

😂Thank you Steve, there is no way I could do this in metal, actually I'm not sure I can actually do it in plastic  !!  ...........though I would very much like to know what your secret is, that stunning Schnellboot you built seemingly in a couple of weeks led me to wonder if you dont have a little secret weapon somewhere, you know,  pharmaceuticals ,.... alchohol....black magic, highly trained pixies, or a combination of all of them.............whatever it is I need it !!!

On 02/06/2021 at 17:52, beefy66 said:

So when are you rigging up the lighting in those boat decks.  :whistle:

Just NO, Beefy you naughty fellow, I've got enough to worry about without lots of little wires wot actually work, I'm trying to be kinder to myself in my old age !!!     anyway I'm not very good at lectricity 🤪

Just seen  a stunning Kostas creation, 1/200 Missouri, if I can come even close to the seascape then It will all be worth it  http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery/bb/bb-63/Missouri-200-kk/index.htm

Cheers

David

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, Dancona said:

.though I would very much like to know what your secret is

It's the fear of being asked to go shopping that drives me.... :rofl:

New workshop is coming together, soon I will be back....

Cheers

Steve

On 01/06/2021 at 08:40, Dancona said:

A couple of quick developments, I have been trying to add some of the mechanisms that enable the boats to be run out on the rails, it is quite a visible area, but ironically I can only find a few dark and blurry photos of the crank linkage, but it must have been fairly close to this I guess.

bays 1 (2)

I'm so glad you put that photo in David because I was wondering how they ran the boats out given that there were no davits to speak of.  I knew how they did it in the more modern carriers but had no idea with the older ones.

This truly is inspirational work.

Oh and you don't make me feel quite so bad.  My classic car restoration has only been ongoing for 17 years!

On 04/06/2021 at 22:25, Iceman 29 said:

High-flying model making !

Many thanks Pascal, a great compliment from yourself, you are another person who must have a gang of magic model making pixies, your combination of quality and speed is quite remarkable, just love that Nomadic !!!

On 05/06/2021 at 09:49, Steve D said:

It's the fear of being asked to go shopping that drives me.... :rofl:

Now that is enough of an incentive to perform miracles....looking forward to your next masterpiece....what is it going to be ...I wont tell anyone, promise !!!

On 06/06/2021 at 17:39, Chewbacca said:

I'm so glad you put that photo in David because I was wondering how they ran the boats out given that there were no davits to speak of. 

A pleasure dear sir, it seems to be a chain and sprocket arrangement driven from a shaft attached to a hand crank thingy, I found this photo of a glamorous creature in a jumper which helped, if you look closely behind her....

gettyimages-488817037-2048x2048

..you can see the connecting shaft.

gettyimages-488817037-2048x2048 (2)

Better view of the chains and outer sprockets.

Vic boat bay 6

On 06/06/2021 at 17:39, Chewbacca said:

Oh and you don't make me feel quite so bad.  My classic car restoration has only been ongoing for 17 years!

Oh come on do tell what is it ?

On 06/06/2021 at 21:10, Kevin Aris said:

wow, sorry i missed the first year of this build, it has made great reading

Thanks Kevin, though it is a bit scary being a year or so into it already, I am rather dreading the air wing !!

3 hours ago, longshanks said:

If this is a small sample of the finished product it is going to be superb :clap2:

Thank you Mr Shanks, or can I call you Kev now, I'm hoping I can keep it up, but honestly, an Aircraft carrier, what was I thinking !!!!!!!!!!!!! (obviously not thinking very hard, there is that point after a couple of beers that anything sounds like a good idea), Im reckoning on about 5 years for this project, there is no alternative, as I have said before, it wont fit on the shelf of doom anyway !!

Cheers fellow travelers of the sacred maritime modelling path (or perhaps fellow sufferers)

David

• Like 8

Ark 3 had a very similar arrangement for getting her boats in and out, and since they were near-contemporaries I reckon you’re good.  Doesn’t feel like something they’d bother to change drastically in the rebuild

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Dancona said:

looking forward to your next masterpiece....what is it going to be

David, I am hoping to have the energy to complete HMS Jason, but I think I will also work on the Vosper 70ft MTB in parallel as Jason stretches out into my mid-70's in my mind......  I've made a start on the drawings... Will start a thread when I have enough to say, 1:48th scale scratch built of course :wink:

On 08/06/2021 at 13:40, Dancona said:

A pleasure dear sir, it seems to be a chain and sprocket arrangement driven from a shaft attached to a hand crank thingy, I found this photo of a glamorous creature in a jumper which helped, if you look closely behind her....

Good photo - but at the same time really annoying.  I've 3D printed a brow for HMS PUMA and I forgot to add the wheels in the middle 🥵

On 08/06/2021 at 13:40, Dancona said:

Oh come on do tell what is it ?

TVR Tasmin convertible series 1.  I've already done the much rarer TVR 350+2 and that only took 4 years.  I just kept putting this one off.  Did little bits here and there over the years but didn't really get going until the start of lockdown last year.  It's stalled again now while I wait for a slot at my mechanic's to take the fuel system out because I'm not doing that in an integrated garage without a fire suppression system!

On 08/06/2021 at 18:15, Steve D said:

1:48th scale scratch built of course :wink:

but of course,...... looking forward to that, Jason must be a fair size in 1:48, great stuff !!!

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

TVR Tasmin convertible series 1

An Oliver Winterbottom classic, I always hated the look of them at the time, but I really like them now, like the Aston Martin Lagonda, they have aged really well, (I sadly never managed to meet Mr Winterbottom, I gather he was a real character), bet that goes like stink !! (Ford V6 ?)

My project is British and fibreglass as well, but not nearly as fast I suspect, its a 1958 Jensen 541

2019 B Day outing 2

BBQ2

It is a kind of very elaborate noise making machine, but I love it dearly, but 23 years is a loooong time !!!!!

Cheers

David

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Only met Oliver a couple of times but he was a real gentleman and a great loss to the motoring world.   The Jensen looks stunning.

This is the Tasmin taken a few years ago before I took it off the road

51240497173_7d00003f3a_b.jpg

• Like 4

To be honest, it's so long since I drove it I cant remember!  It is a much nicer car to drive than the +2 though which if it weren't for the fact that it is 1 of only  6 built and appreciating in value, I would probably swap it for something different.

Back to floaty things (always good to slip in the odd technical term to prove one knows what one is talking about), I've managed to start skinning the thing, well the Port side anyway. First up was the very pronounced overhang, which inevitably comes with its own problems in the form of the very prominent boiler room downtake vents that sit flush to the surface, they were knocked up using an alternating sandwich of evergreen strips (1.5 X 2mm alternating with 0.4 X 4mm), which was then cut back to fit through the holes and shimmed so it sat flush to surface.

sponson18

sponson17

sponson2

Also there are a large number of vent openings on the overhang (or perhaps, under the overhang) as well, involving a lot of careful filing and bad language, but finally got it on, using my new favourite polistyrene sticky stuff, Faller "Super Expert" I find it excellent, particularly in combo with the Tamiya extra thin.

sponson3

I made the decision to use 1mm sheet early on (because "in the beginning" I had to cut all the sections allowing for the material thickness) and it seems to be working out OK so far, but I have been careful to ensure that there is a lot of structure behind it with adequate surface area to bond it to, my worry was that with a thinner skin the cement would soften the material in the area of the ribs giving the dreaded non scale "oil canning" effect which requires a huge amount of filler and elbow grease to resolve.

For each section I have been making paper templates (seems to take at least three before its right), and then into the plastic and a lot of gentle filing, cursing and starting again !!!

Template...

sponson6

...and finished bit, though it is getting a bit dusty in there.

sponson10

Managed to get the rest of the sponson done over the weekend, the only additional excitement was forming the strange bends and twists with lots of hot water.

sponson7

sponson11

sponson14

And finally, its starting to look a bit more like an Aircraft Carrier !!

Sponson13B

I shall try to keep the updates coming more frequently, as its all getting a bit more interesting now (well for me, humor me please), anyway, thanks for looking !!

Cheers

David

• Like 13

25 minutes ago, Dancona said:

my worry was that with a thinner skin the cement would soften the material in the area of the ribs giving the dreaded non scale "oil canning" effect which requires a huge amount of filler and elbow grease to resolve.

For each section I have been making paper templates (seems to take at least three before its right), and then into the plastic and a lot of gentle filing, cursing and starting again !!!

Gidday David, exceptional work as always, particularly the boiler room downtake vents under the overhang.

I want to scratchbuild some hulls in the not-to-distant future and I'll try to remember some of the tips here. The paper templates seem a good idea and I'll try to avoid unintentional oil-canning.

Regards, Jeff.