12 hours ago, Rob998 said:
12 hours ago, longshanks said:

I reckon mine will fit in your large Docking Bay

Carry on Nurse

spacer.png

I am appalled that the size of a gentlemans docking bay is being mocked here, let alone suggestions of what people want to put in it, I would suggest that there are alternative forums available for this sort of thing 🧐  fnarr fnarr 😂😂😂

I think I should rename the thread, "Carry On Victorious" !!

4 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

you'll have no problems with "Jumbo"

Not you too Chewy, I thought that you were above that sort of thing, 😜, though in seriousness thank you for the comments, Jumbo is one of those terrors that I have banished to the future for now, but there is no doubt it will be a challenge, one material that may come in handy that I find myself using a lot is the strands from fibre optic cabling, doesn't bend well  though !! 

Cheers to all

David

• Haha 2

Wow David, I have just found your build, I impressed. I spent twenty five years as an industrial model maker. Up In Johannesburg I worked with two modellers who had worked in Tyneside for a large ship model building company. The used to make watertight doors and hatch covers out of sheet brass and rod, all soldered together.

Re the Whirlwind and indeed the whole family being all but ignored and definitely in 48th scale. It need rectifying but by who? Your HAS 7 looks the part.

Congratulations in getting to where you have, tenacity in spades. Incidentally, I did a year in/on Bulwark with 845 NAS 66/67.

Colin

1 hour ago, gunzo said:

Regarding the 'Jumbo', are decent reference drawings or even dimensions available? Same question for the boat crane.

Les

Hi Les, the boat crane should not be too much of a problem, there are good drawings in the AoTS book, and I have a few bits of photo-etch jib from the Orel paper kit to use as a starting point, Jumbo on the other hand is a bit more complicated, I can't find any reference material, apart from odd bits of it in the corner of photos, it appears that the original 4 ton crane was replaced by a larger one after the 62/63 refit (when the starboard extension was added outboard of the island).

If anyone has any drawings or decent photos of the earlier 4 ton jumbo, I would be very interested !

24 minutes ago, heloman1 said:

Wow David, I have just found your build, I impressed. I spent twenty five years as an industrial model maker. Up In Johannesburg I worked with two modellers who had worked in Tyneside for a large ship model building company. The used to make watertight doors and hatch covers out of sheet brass and rod, all soldered together.

Re the Whirlwind and indeed the whole family being all but ignored and definitely in 48th scale. It need rectifying but by who? Your HAS 7 looks the part.

Congratulations in getting to where you have, tenacity in spades. Incidentally, I did a year in/on Bulwark with 845 NAS 66/67.

Colin, thank you for your kind words, particularly coming from a professional, it is incredible what some professional model makers can do, (with seemingly little or no effort), Im sure you are the same !!

Working, as I do in automotive design, I have spent a lot of time with a lot of very skilled craftsmen/modelmakers, sadly now its all mostly 3D printed from CAD (we even have a machine that will print an entire car bumper in one go), all very clever but a bit soulless to my mind.

Based on your experience on Bulwark please shout out if you see anything that doesn't look quite right to you !! 

Cheers

David

David, thanks for your kind word, yes, soulless sums up 3D printing. Yes in todays modern world, I see it has it place. I honed my skills as an aero modeller in in my early teens. Blocks of balsa, a craft knife and lots of then, sand paper. Today, production paper, thanks to technology aluminium oxide better than sand!

During my days in the FAA , I was fortunate to work with an artificer, his skills were limitless. I watched and learned. I then got the chance to carve from solid three Sea Kings for the Recruitment ship model of maybe Victorious. They were around 24th scale, and I based then on the then Airfix Sea King kit. Drew up the side views, scrounged the timber from the chippies shop, al be it with a letter from my boss,

A coupe of weeks of serious carving and sanding then sanding sealer and then pint from the Dope Shop next to our workshop. Folding rotorblades from a PO in the workshop.

When I came to model making as a career, it was via a company in Manchester, I pushed my way in through the front door! My new life had begun!

Twenty five year went in a flash, petro-chemical plants, mining et al, Finally my own little company ROTOR craft Helicopter conversion parts and decals.

I don't have the necessary skill to go the 3D route but give me a drawing and a block of eureol...

Colin

Apologies for the diatribe.

• Like 1
On 9/21/2020 at 12:13 PM, davecov said:

Having scratchbuilt a couple of 1/350 QE Class carriers (80cm long), I am in awe at your work. I cheated and used cut down Tamiya USS Enterprise hulls as a base to work from as I couldn't be confident in my skills in constructing it with frames like yours.

Dave

Only a couple Dave ....no doubt their watertight integrity is better than the real thing....bout time they got to sea ....even im going on Friday with a bit of pas boat action on Sunday to get ashore agsin.....hopefully weather permitting 

• Like 1