HMS Victorious (1961) in 1/200

5 minutes ago, longshanks said:

Good to see progress especially with your wonderful chopper :giggle:

Kev

My thoughts exactly Kev!

Terry

• Haha 1

There was me thinking I had clicked onto the wrong site again when I was reading about big choppers  😱

Cracking job with chopper David  :coolio:

Stay Safe

beefy

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Gentlemen, thank you,........... you pack of silver tongued devils, though I must admit, my chopper is perfectly formed but very small, but it's what you do with it. after all........................ in this case sticking it on an aircraft carrier, actually it still needs a few bits and bobs on the rotor head and to support the blades in their stowed position, but I'll probably wait and do all 8 of them together, sorry where was I,

oh yes................ooooh matron !

Cheers from the silly side

David

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Hi Crispin, couldn't agree more, for all their faults the whole family were a very widely used machine, a 1/48 one would make quite a large and impressive model, plus they look rather cute and rabbit like with their rotors folded !!!

Cheers

David

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Dear Gentlefolk,

I would like to draw upon the wealth of common sense and experience here, I think I've found something quite interesting for anyone modelling Victorious in all her post reconstruction glory, the subject of my current little diversion, is the color of the docking bays, I thought I had it sussed when I found a nice colour shot from a later commission with the forward ones obviously painted white inside, similar to the Cable Deck and Quarter Deck (see below). 

victorious_r38

So far so good, I also have a screen grab from "floating Fortress" (see below) which is obviously much older footage because the sextuple Bofors is still in evidence (which dates it as pre Feb 1960) which shows the small Starboard docking bay just forward of the crane  painted white inside, in the video it looks like the small bay in between the gun mounts further astern is as well. So essentially immediately after her reconstruction they were white and in her later life they were white, so what is the point that this idiot is trying to make I hear you say !

1960 23

Well it appears that for a limited time in the early sixties they were painted grey inside, this is from Capetown in 1961 (the commission I am interested in), obviously grey in there now.

1960 10

And this is from the same period during a RAS, and is the small bay in front of the crane again, now grey as well.

1960 13

And below, unfortunately not in colour and not quite so clear, but it looks like the bulkheads are in light grey as well, bearing in mind the contrast with the white reel cover, bollard and fairlead

HMS_Victorious_island_1959

I was wondering if anyone has come across this "grey period" before and whether this was common across any other  RN carriers through this period, I will post some pictures of my docking bays soon, it was just as I was about to squirt white paint everywhere when a faint feeling of unease made me look back at some photos from1961, just in the nick of time !!

Cheers

David

• Like 6

I agree with you that in the second and third picture, things do look grey inside, but looking at the contrast between the top surface of the sailors hat in picture 3 above, that white seems to blend in tone quite well with the bulkhead behind even though it all seems so grey. My eye could also be forgiven to suggest that even in picture 2 above, the inside appears slightly lighter in tone. Tricks of the eye maybe, not sure.

Maybe someone who knows can help?

Terry

PS. A great shot of Victorious in the link below, with what looks to be the Italian destroyer Intrepido. Not helpful to your dilemma, but a great shot I thought!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_destroyer_Intrepido_(D_571)#/media/File:HMS_Victorious_Malta_1967.jpg

Colour film of the period could be notoriously 'off' and here you are looking at rather narrow distinctions in the blue spectrum. I for one would be very cautious of interpreting the bays as grey.

Les

• Like 1

Not just Trackers; there’s the swept tail (AK) of some US jet in there too - F11 Tiger, maybe?  Cross-decking was pretty common then.  Love the pre-Health & Safety matelot hanging on for dear life while he cleans the windows of the Admiral’s Bridge, too!

No evidence about the bays, but white feels right.

• Like 1

I must admit that the precarious windowcleaner did rather amuse me, I may well have to recreate the scene in 1:200, the US aircraft (various) were probably from Ticonderoga in that picture, couple more I found below.

20190522140651-ae6cb4d3-me

101740581_854722754932170_320906405735301120_n

Plus a bit more pre-Health and Safety high jinks, for a photo-op !!!

tumblr_7a828729da7897f4fe4974ed894f60d7_627dcfb9_1280

Cheers

David 

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

Ah, given the picture above, it looks like the jet in the first picture was probably a Douglas F4D Skyray. I must admit like Crisp, I was thinking Grumman Tiger.

Nice shot of an F-8 Crusader also. Is that a Scimitar I can make out behind the F-8?

Terry

• Like 1

On 05/02/2021 at 12:12, Terry1954 said:

Is that a Scimitar I can make out behind the F-8?

I think it most certainly is Terry, with the wing that folded vertically, just received the photo below (that dad has just found in his log book) with a couple of Scimitars and some Sea Vixens in evidence.

Naval Subjects VIC

Regarding the colour of the docking bays, I have thought long and hard over this, I have decided to go with the hive-mind, thank you all for your input ,I have firm evidence that they were painted white both early and late in her reconstructed career, and I can't find irrefutable evidence that someone actually did paint everything gray in between, though something doesn't quite add up in my mind (a frequent problem, I think its down to age), so white it is, I will post some proper images when I have some but "onward and upward" as they say.

Docking Bays WIP

Cheers fellow travellers !

David

• Like 10

On 2/8/2021 at 9:44 AM, Dancona said:

Naval Subjects VIC

I can only assume that photo must be an optical illusion, since it appears to show a Whirly hover-taxying into the island...

So how are you planning to build ‘Jumbo’, the flight deck crane visible between the Vixens further aft?

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

So how are you planning to build ‘Jumbo’, the flight deck crane visible between the Vixens further aft?

Ahh yes um, .......carefully ?......I don't really know yet, I may have to look at custom photo etch, or see what I can do with my Cricut (wot I am still exploring) but I think that "jumbo" in 1:200  would still be a bit too fine for that, I think that flight deck equipment is still a few more years away and I am bargaining on a significant progression in my scratchbuilding skills, its not something I am looking forward to suffice it to say 😬

Cheers

David

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Been having a little docking bay action recently, white docking bays actually, this is the Starboard one at the stern below and in between the gun mountings, (as seen in the Capetown photo, with two persil white gentlemen off ashore).

Docking Bay 9

And the Port equivalent, deeper and a different shape

Docking Bay 6

This is the first of the larger ones further forward, there will be a curly overhead track for manoeuvring  paravanes and dropping them over the side, though that will have to wait for now

Docking Bay 1

I've got one more of these to do, and then its boat bays !!!

Thanks for looking

Cheers

David 

• Like 15

2 hours ago, longshanks said:

Nice crisp scratch modelling of the detail.....

Thank you, that does mean a lot coming from Mr “scratch” himself 😎

As for the giant pen, I can only assume that your comment is down to Biro envy, it is quite obvious that I have a much bigger Biro than you do, in fact (snigger) I suspect that you have a “normal” sized one, not like my enormous novelty ballpoint, .......you didn’t spot that my docking bays are actually made out of 20mm mdf and badly roller painted with emulsion, did you !

Sorry got a bit carried away there, ...Nurse, excuse me, Nurse ................!

cheers

David

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

On 05/02/2021 at 10:40, Dancona said:

Plus a bit more pre-Health and Safety high jinks, for a photo-op !!!

That is a great photo.  Just imagine the risk assessment of trying to do that today!

Fabulous work on the docking bays.  I think with scratchbuilding skills like that, you'll have no problems with "Jumbo" when you get to it.  Have you considered the very fine Evergreen strip (though even that may be too thick)?