HMS Victorious (1961) in 1/200

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent result with the crane David, looks every bit of dockyard steelwork.

To avoid the carpet monster chewing all your PE parts. Try working in a large plastic bag, keeps everything close by!!!

Colin

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 24/02/2023 at 17:51, longshanks said:

A masterful piece of cobbling , makes the real thing look quite tatty!!

:thumbsup:

Stay safe 

Kev

Thank you Kev, as a master cobbler yourself that is a compliment, in fact there a few others on here, one could almost come up with a painfully contrived joke about us all being a load of old cobblers, but I wouldn't lower myself 😁

On 24/02/2023 at 11:24, Steve D said:

Masterclass in plastic scratch building  👍, I love it

Talking of master multi-disciplinary cobblers, (in fact perhaps the cobblers cobbler) and knowing your opinion of plastic as a material, thank you sir !!

On 24/02/2023 at 11:39, ArnoldAmbrose said:

I'm sure you could add some ejector pin marks, and some sink holes too

😂 Thanks Jeff, that really would be the ultimate pinnacle in scratch modelling, add details to make it look like a bad kit !!!! Though to be honest there are lots of little problems just as bad that I still have to sort out !

On 24/02/2023 at 19:49, bissyboat said:

The crane is looking very good. 👍

Thank you Bissy, though it is probably about the same size as one of your miniature masterpieces :worthy:

Well, as you have probably gathered, I'm back to annoy you all again, house move done, very long list of domestic jobs to do, but just about managing to squeeze in a little bit of Gods own hobby, in between painting things white. The big Vic survived intact, and after looking at it a lot I have decided to sort out the aft lift so I can permanently fix the flightdeck in place, well it sounded simple in my head anyway, but I have fulfilled a lifelong ambition and can now fiddle with small bits of plastic (and brass, Steve) within sight of the sea !!

Cheers me hearties 

David

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

On 25/02/2023 at 07:52, Chewbacca said:

If you hadn't put it in context of the biro or laptop, I would have thought that was closer to 1/72 scale

Chewy old chap, the truth is that I have moved on from giant biros, and now possess a 4ftx3ft laptop as well !!!

Thank you btw 😀

On 05/03/2023 at 20:24, Courageous said:

Fantastic crane work, beyond me, Good job.

Thanks Stuart, though it does help that the original one looked a bit of a bodge !

On 06/03/2023 at 12:27, robgizlu said:

I have crane envy :who-let-rip:

Surely not Rob, you have some magnificent small cranes in your portfolio, and everyone knows that size doesn't matter.......😂

On 07/03/2023 at 09:12, heloman1 said:

Excellent result with the crane David, looks every bit of dockyard steelwork.

To avoid the carpet monster chewing all your PE parts. Try working in a large plastic bag, keeps everything close by!!!

Thanks Colin, I might try the plastic bag trick, it would have to be a quick build though 😂😂

Cheers guys

I will get some piccies up asap

David

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

This is inspirational. I mean that in its true sense of creating a desire in me to have  go at this sort of thing. It looks fascinating.

Thanks Bertie, but compared to what you are doing with the Billy Ruffian this is kindergarten stuff, I will be an avid follower, love that set up you have too, that's what a lounge should look like imho !!.............and a serious collection of tools, I'm not going to say that I have tool envy because that could be taken the wrong way, but I do 😀

• Haha 3

16 hours ago, Dancona said:

Thanks Bertie, but compared to what you are doing with the Billy Ruffian this is kindergarten stuff, I will be an avid follower, love that set up you have too, that's what a lounge should look like imho !!.............and a serious collection of tools, I'm not going to say that I have tool envy because that could be taken the wrong way, but I do 😀

You just made me laugh out loud in a coffee shop. 😂

A long time ago a boss of mine said I could buy cheap clothes, cheap food but should always buy the best tools that I could afford. The increased pleasure using them justifies the cost even if productivity is irrelevant. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

buy the best tools that I could afford.

This is the best advice, tools used to be for life, nowadays people buy cheap and throw them away...

My best tools belonged to my grandfather, who was a watchmaker.  They were bought in the 1890's, makes you think :hmmm:

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Steve D said:

This is the best advice, tools used to be for life, nowadays people buy cheap and throw them away...

My best tools belonged to my grandfather, who was a watchmaker.  They were bought in the 1890's, makes you think :hmmm:

I've recently bought some jewelers pliers for PE work (sailing ship brass is sometimes thick, tough stuff) and they are just beautiful. My son has been buying tools from a dental equipment dealer, also a good source of top quality tools for modelling. 

• Like 2

My needle files, all from Grandad though some of the handles are mine.  I love the peculiar handle shape watchmakers files have, helps you control the file, even with my arthritic fingers....

DSCN3076

If you see these on ebay, buy them

Cheers

Steve

• Like 3

On 16/05/2023 at 15:42, Steve D said:

My best tools belonged to my grandfather, who was a watchmaker.

Aha Steve, now it all makes sense, you obviously have an inherited superpower, that enables you to do impossible things with tiny bits of metal !!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well here we go again, at last I have had a chance to do some fiddling (dont titter), I have decided that I need to fix the flightdeck on permanently, the hull sides are pretty much there, but I cant progress upwards and start detailing the sponsons and boat decks without joining it all together. But herein lies the problem, I really did a chapuza (wonderful Spanish word for a botch) on the aft lift, I had the bright idea of squeezing the radii in with car body filler, as I should have anticipated, it all fell off, plus the flightdeck was 3mm styrene which was too thick, so I had been carefully avoiding the issue and building cranes and stuff, what a wimp I hear you say, well I have bitten the bullet and chewed it to death, and I think I have it sorted now.

52935630004_b2ee98870e_b.jpg

This was my shame, but of course it had to be even more complicated by the "C" section around the lip on the real thing !

linebook3

As can be just made out here, which also shows an “oil drum” storage rack tucked into the corner of the lift well. Sadly I believe that the crunchy Naval aviator in the picture was one of the many that lost their lives flying Seavixens, an accident rate worse than the Starfighter I believe, but I may be wrong.

After a couple of false starts involving bending sections to shape I reluctantly decided that the only way forward was going to involve a lot of filing, so I laminated a couple of 0.75 sheet together and cut out the shape of the lift opening about half a mm too big all round, then sandwiched it with two roughly cut bits of 0.15 sheet which I then (carefully) filed back to give the correct section round the lip.

52935630354_3caa430bc1_b.jpg

52934877042_332283ce5a_b.jpg

52934877022_f831a361fc_b.jpg

52934876682_463e630aa0_b.jpg

52935473691_669d9512b9_b.jpg

Finally I had to cut out the old disaster and replace the new bit and make a slightly oversize little box to form the basis for the inside faces of the lift well, I’m going to model the lift slightly down with something on it, either a Gannet or a Whirlwind I think, but that is a decision for years hence !!

At least now I can get on and make up some detailed "billboards" that can go around the inside of the lift well box, and then finally I hope to stick the flight deck down permanently !!!

Thanks for looking, its great to be back !

Cheers

David 

• Like 17

3 hours ago, Dancona said:

I’m going to model the lift slightly down with something on it, either a Gannet or a Whirlwind I think, but that is a decision for years hence !!

Gidday David, you're not going to make us wait with baited breath THAT long, surely? 😲

It looks like you've had a win with the replacement elevator/lift opening. 👍  And "chapuza"  -  I'll have to remember that word, I'll probably have a lot of use for it. 

Regards, Jeff.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Dancona said:

Thanks for looking, its great to be back !

This looks a suitable saga to follow. I like your do-over on the lift, our second attempts are usually better, aren't they? And yet we, no, I persistently resist starting again. 

One day I'll have the spare time to read this from the beginning. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

One day I'll have the spare time to read this from the beginning. 

That happened to be today. My goodness David, this trumps Billy Ruffian! Every sub assembly a top class model. Brilliant work indeed. And, as I said before and then completely forgot, inspirational stuff. I have a plastic battleship kit in 200 scale on hand which I'm now itching to have a go at.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

hat happened to be today. My goodness David, this trumps Billy Ruffian! Every sub assembly a top class model. Brilliant work indeed. And, as I said before and then completely forgot, inspirational stuff. I have a plastic battleship kit in 200 scale on hand which I'm now itching to have a go at.

My dear Bertie, Thank you very much for your kind words, and also the unbelievably patience to read through the whole thread !!

Bearing in mind that this is now several years of work already it may trump Billy Ruffian so far, BUT, a museum quality (which having seen your work, I know it will be) wooden model of a bl##dy great Napoleonic 74 gun ship trumps EVERYTHING in my book  !!!!

You never know, you may well finish before me anyway😀

Big man hug, and thanks again

David

• Like 4