HMS Victorious (1961) in 1/200

2 hours ago, JohnWS said:

Nice to see you only needed a half bottle of brandy.

He's probably saving the other half bottle for the starboard side. 🙂

Gidday David, those hull opening surrounds are very neat and finish off the openings to a treat I think. With the contents in them each hull opening could pass as a dio in themselves, particularly that which contains the lifeboat. She's very well done.      Regards, Jeff.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Dancona said:

Time for a bit of an update I feel, though I must admit it is a little difficult to actually see the amount of work it has taken to get it to this stage, and this is only the port side !!

My aim has been to get the lines and surfaces right before I add all of the additional detail, though framing all of the hull openings was something that I felt I had to do at this stage once I was reasonably confident that the areas around them were reasonably OK. Next stage will be a coat of Mr Surfacer, followed by anger, denial, half a bottle of brandy and finally acceptance, before a lot more work !!

Anyway here are some latest status shots, I promise I will post the bare and untouched result soon after it has been squirted, (to provide some collective shoulders to cry on).

51630797503_9e3ae28839_o

51630797403_e4d26b5f5a_o

The surrounds are 0.5 mm diameter evergreen rod, not a job I am not looking forward to doing on the starboard side.

51630573521_501f9307a8_o

51630797173_e3987d2437_o

51631221539_bfb2930f28_o

51631221434_efe4d3c599_o

51631221519_d5fceda92e_o

Cheers and thanks for looking !!

David

Nice job, David! 

• Thanks 1

Blimey, that’s blimmin’ gorgeous, that is!

Only recently did I learn that Tugg had two Gs because his real surname was Willson, with two Ls (“Tug” being the traditional nickname for all Wilsons in the RN).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, JohnWS said:

Nice to see you only needed a half bottle of brandy.

:D Although John, I must admit I am rather partial to the odd "nip" of decent Spanish brandy, I reckon half a bottle of Cardinal Mendoza would seriously curtail modelling activities for a while - possibly even permanently 🤪, though luckily for my liver, after a quick lick of primer yesterday, the result is not as bad as I feared, I will post some pics later, still some very dodgy areas, but manageable (I hope).

19 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Fantastic progress David. That's a neat device on the bottom of the hull, which must make working on her much easier.

Thanks Terry, slow and steady 😎  as for the stand I don't know what I would do without it, the beast is around 4ft long and quite heavy now and consequently would be a bit difficult to wrestle with, particularly when it gets some more delicate bits on it, the ability to give it a "pronounced list" is very useful with so much going on on the hull sides, I would strongly recommend knocking one up, particularly for a carrier. 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

He's probably saving the other half bottle for the starboard side. 🙂

:D You could well be right Jeff, but I'm hoping that the starboard side will go a bit smoother, now I broadly know what I'm doing (famous last words 😂), thanks for your kind comments, you are very kind.

16 hours ago, Iceman 29 said:

Nice job, David! 

Means a lot coming from you Pascal, following your latest adventure very closely, lovely subject and beautifully done !

16 hours ago, longshanks said:

Good to see you are maintaining the standard

Ha Kev, thank you sir, I am trying,..... but don't forget you are one of the ringleaders of the select gang who actually set the standard for scratchbuilding in the first place 😅

14 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Only recently did I learn that Tugg had two Gs because his real surname was Willson, with two Ls (“Tug” being the traditional nickname for all Wilsons in the RN).

Hi Crispin, really ?  I didn't know that, you are a font of information, that actually makes sense, I have a couple more from the "Old Vic touring company" in 1961, I will dig them out and post them, I remember the old flight safety calendars were brilliant 

66406468_10156700572697408_255036867433463808_n

How are you doing anyway ? I hope you are feeling better these days, any chance of the Ark coming out to play soon ?

Cheers

David

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

As I indicated earlier to John, I gave the beast a quick coat of filler primer (Mr Surfacer 1000) yesterday afternoon and.................remarkably enough, not too bad, lots of little things to fettle and a few lines and joints to sort, but doable, ....a miracle,.... or possibly it was the freshly sacrificed cockerels blood I smeared all over the can of primer before squirting ! 

I made styrene plugs for all of the openings, which should enable me to quickly mask up for subsequent painting sessions, you can see them on the stand.

I had better get my fettling hat on and consider the brandy as something to lubricate with, rather than drowning in - cheaper too 😀

Thanks as always for humoring me and looking !

Cheers

David

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Dancona said:

As I indicated earlier to John, I gave the beast a quick coat of filler primer (Mr Surfacer 1000) yesterday afternoon and.................remarkably enough, not too bad, lots of little things to fettle and a few lines and joints to sort, but doable, ....a miracle,.... or possibly it was the freshly sacrificed cockerels blood I smeared all over the can of primer before squirting !  ...

David, she looks awesome. :worthy:

John

• Thanks 1

On 28/10/2021 at 14:34, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday David, Vicky's looking superb

Thanks Jeff, I must admit although there is a lot of corrective work to do, I feel that a milestone has been reached, got to do the other side now......arggggggggggggggg !!

On 28/10/2021 at 14:56, JohnWS said:

David, she looks awesome

John,.......... the man with highly trained mast building spiders and phenomenal eyesight (that's the only possible explanation),......... a heartfelt "thank you sir".

23 hours ago, beefy66 said:

Amazing work there David to look back on all the build to where you are now.  👍

Thanks Beefy, you are very kind, I am hoping to get both sides up to scratch before I hit the two year mark, its incredibly how much time it takes, very satisfying, but certainly not instant gratification 😂

23 hours ago, longshanks said:

Wow !! What can I say ....

Ta maestro, to render you speechless is, I think, a major milestone 😎......................Hows the van by the way? that was looking damn good last I saw !!

6 hours ago, Adm Lord De Univers said:

the thing that really impresses me are the styrene plugs! I know, I know, but what an ingenious solution.

😂 Actually David it was something that was bothering me for a while, I was waking up in the middle of the night worrying about trying to remove masking tape from my railings, in the end it seemed like the only way to do it, but it took a while to do mind, but at least masking the bugger up has been simplified for the next few years !!!  🤪

Cheers gents and thank you one and all for the support !!

David

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 10/28/2021 at 1:15 PM, Dancona said:

I made styrene plugs for all of the openings, which should enable me to quickly mask up for subsequent painting sessions, you can see them on the stand.

What a great idea; duly nicked!

I’m making good progress, thanks David.  Ark will re-start pretty soon - next 2 or 3 weeks, I reckon.

And Victorious is looking fab, obvs

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 30/10/2021 at 12:23, Steve D said:

Very impressed with the result, it will be a special model :clap2:

Many many thanks Steve, I hope so, actually I'm beginning to think that the biggest challenge may be living long enough to finish it 😆

On 30/10/2021 at 18:33, theskits62 said:

That's looking pretty spectacular - maybe i'll have to try that cockerel blood trick !

I would strongly recommend it, though you will also need a couple of candles, a goats skull and a pentangle in Tamiya tape (15mm) !!!:devil:

On 30/10/2021 at 20:47, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

I’m making good progress, thanks David.  Ark will re-start pretty soon - next 2 or 3 weeks, I reckon.

Very glad to hear that Crispin, we have all been missing you here in floatyland, very much looking forward to seeing the Ark wot is more brass than plastic again !!

I thought I should share this, Mrs David kindly gave me a little present,.............. she is finding increasingly interesting ways of letting me know what she thinks of people who build 4ft long aircraft carriers !!!      the problem is, I'm beginning to think she may have a valid point ...............wibble !!

A

A firm and manly handshake to you all !!

David

• Like 10
  • Haha 4

Sitting here in the sun having just finished reading The Kamikaze Hunters by Will Iredale. The story of the British Pacific Fleet in the last months of the war including of course Victorious. A stirring read bringing into sharp focus the work these vessels did during the war. If you’ve not read it, I recommend it

cheers

steve 

On 04/11/2021 at 17:11, Steve D said:

If you’ve not read it, I recommend it

Hi Steve, no I haven't read it, I will certainly try to track it down, the RN involvement is certainly one of the more forgotten aspects of the war in the Pacific, the fact that Victorious played such a large part in so many theatres adds a lot to my fascination for the ship in all of her manifestations, it seems remarkable that the same ship (well some of it anyway) launched Swordfish against the Bismark and later in life operated Buccaneers !!!

• Like 5

• 3 months later...

I would like to apologise for not doing an update sooner, but I whenever it occurs to me to do one I get that, “well it doesn’t look like I’ve done very much” voice in my head (the voices, the voices etc.).

Well the story so far, I’ve managed to surface the starboard side and get all the lines running true with the help of copious amounts of car body filler, I like it because as long as you don’t put it on too thick (gets hot if you do that) it goes off quickly and sands well. A few coats of Mr Surfacer later and some corrective work and after two years I had something that looked like a barely started Airfix Victorious, though admittedly a bit bigger !!!

51871419096_ea7dcbdc40_o

51871500613_81312911c3_o (1)

51871500733_3bdc958f56_o

51871736924_647dcb94b3_o

How many gash chutes did they need, and why were they such complicated semi-faired-in things ? these are the sort of things that occupy me these days, but at least it feels like modelmaking again.

Now I do not have to worry about “big” sanding I have been able to get on with scuttles and weld lines, which after a bit of experimentation I am doing with very thin (bout 0.3mm) strips of Tamiya tape (easily poked and prodded into place) and sealed with a dilute layer of Mig Ammo PVA applied with a brush.

51871736914_74f5ff21ac_o

I have been concentrating on the area around the stb boat bay where there is the (redundant by 1961) mounting area for the six barreled Bofors that was originally mounted, all sorts of little gribbly bits including the ariel trunking and the structural bridge over the top of the boat bay, and even an exhaust pipe !!

51872067460_c1f508ccb3_o

51871737004_a9c5bf8b0d_o

51871736904_da35b5cb10_o

And that's where I am at the moment, the master plan (if you can call it one) is to do all of the details on the hull sides, then attack and fix the flight deck and finally join it all up with the gun deck areas, and then of course I've got the superstructure to worry about...🤪 keeps me off the streets I suppose !!!

Cheers fellow nutters !!

David

• Like 20