HMS Victorious (1961) in 1/200

On 24/02/2022 at 13:18, Bandsaw Steve said:

Awesome! 

Thanks Steve, I must admit that once I got the white primer on it I did feel a little bit pleased with myself, it make a huge difference !

On 24/02/2022 at 13:29, Steve D said:

This is a very special project David, well done

You are too kind, if it comes out half as well as your Vosper my "happy bunny coefficient" will be through the roof !

On 24/02/2022 at 17:39, longshanks said:

I'm liking the weld lines...

That was the result of a bit of trial and error, I couldn't find anything fine enough, and in desperation tried cutting strips of Tamiya tape as finely as I could, got it down to 0.3, which looked about right from photos and allows a lot of fiddling around to get the lines right, I'm dreading the other side though, it took days to get them all straight !

On 24/02/2022 at 18:00, beefy66 said:

1. You have such a big one model that is.  :whistle:

Thanks Beefy, you tease........MAAAAAATTTTTTTRRRRON   he´s doing it again !!!

On 25/02/2022 at 11:23, robgizlu said:

I marvel at how clean and smooth the whole creation is - no mean feat at such a large scale

Thank you Rob, to be honest so do I, ........I can only put it down to the monkeys and typewriters thought experiment, in this case give an infinite amount of plastic to an infinite number of monkeys then sooner or later one of them will make a 1/200 Victorious, its taken  this monkey 2 years so far and I feel that a certain amount of luck has been involved !!

On 25/02/2022 at 15:00, JohnWS said:

Wow, David!  She sure is a beauty.

John, thank you, particularly coming from the "Mastmeister" himself !!

On 25/02/2022 at 15:32, Iceman 29 said:

Very clean!  Bravo!

Thanks Pascal, I wish I could work as quickly as you do, in the time it has taken me to get this far you have been churning out museum quality masterpieces  !!

On 25/02/2022 at 21:03, Adm Lord De Univers said:

Did you use a laser for the grey stripe?

Nah David, turned the bugger upside down and ran a pencil round it, but now I come to think of it, I wont be able to do that when I start doing things to the flight deck  !

On 26/02/2022 at 10:36, Courageous said:

Excellent work.

Thanks Stuart, yours is coming along nicely as well, I get a lot of satisfaction from making it up as I go along, but it certainly takes a long time, well unless one is "lightning" Steve D that is !!

On 26/02/2022 at 11:06, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Blimey O’Reilly!  Stunning

Crispin, thank you, how are you, and will we see the Ark back soon ? I thought of you when I was trying to do my weld lines, tricky little buggers in 1/200, I can only imagine the language involved in doing it in 1/350 !

On 26/02/2022 at 11:16, Chewbacca said:

This is truly amazing and an inspiration to us all.

Chewy you really are very kind, I don't think you really need much inspiration though, your Navy Day is one of the most imaginative dioramas I have ever seen and a delight to follow !

On 26/02/2022 at 11:32, Terry1954 said:

To echo all previous comments feels like a cop out, but I can only agree with them all and add my own super praise!

Thanks Terry, I must admit that you are all are making me blush a little :blush: what a nice bunch you all are !!!

14 hours ago, TheBaron said:

There's a crispness and precision at work here that makes each instalment sheer pleasure to behold David.

14 hours ago, TheBaron said:

There's a crispness and precision at work here that makes each instalment sheer pleasure to behold David.

Thank you very much, I am very flattered that people actually look at it, but please don't get the impression that I really know what I'm doing 😂

Cheers

David

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Dancona said:

Crispin, thank you, how are you, and will we see the Ark back soon ? I thought of you when I was trying to do my weld lines, tricky little buggers in 1/200, I can only imagine the language involved in doing it in 1/350 !

Ark will be back the moment Bloys van Treslong is finished, and I’m making good progress with BvT (positively lightning progress by my standards!)

• Like 5

On 01/03/2022 at 08:01, S-boat 55 said:

Just caught up with your build, she really is stunning, 

Many thanks, I think that we probably have a similar hill to climb with our endeavors, I think your Taiho must be mostly brass by now  !!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dancona said:

Many thanks, I think that we probably have a similar hill to climb with our endeavors, I think your Taiho must be mostly brass by now  !!

It does seem to be, to be honest I quite like it shiny 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just a little update on the “Big Vic”, Ive been slowly working my way around the port side and finally plucked up enough courage to tackle the bow openings and weld lines, bearing in mind that the bow is pretty much solid it took quite a lot of laborious drilling and digging, but nearly there now.

Port side

Classes of Aircraft carriers all seem to have different expressions, so to get the right “look” has taken a lot of squinting at photos and minor re-works, looks about right to me now, though I think I still have to make the stem a bit sharper near the waterline. 

Port side

69271004_10219681037166691_113397053693886464_o

Port side

The walkways under the flight deck overhang are the current headache, I ended up using fine nickel silver wire bent in a jig as a structure which I an cladding with strip to give the right feel, it was just all over the place when I had a first try just in plastic, Im much happier now with the result, and its actually quite robust (famous last words I fear).

Port side

Port side

Port side

Getting there slowly, nearly two and a half years now, but there is something very therapeutic about a project like this, the journey is much more important than the destination I feel !!

Anyway, I will update when I have made some more progress, onward and upward !!!

Cheers

David

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Dancona said:

there is something very therapeutic about a project like this, the journey is much more important than the destination

I couldn't agree more :clap2:

I've have noticed that over this journey you started at a very high standard and have maintained it throughout.

It's not like you are reaching over and taking the next piece out of the box.

IMHO this is modelling to the highest level

Stay safe

Kev

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hello David,

As mentioned above, exceptional craftmanship on this historic model.

Regards,

Orion

• Thanks 1

Absolutely fabulous model engineering as well as a good reference for modeller's who want to add a flight deck diorama to their FAA models👍

• Thanks 1

Continuing your usual standard, David - love those walkways.  I concur with your view about sharpening the stem; it’s subtle but would improve it yet further.  The bow us a very hard area to get right, with all those compound curves; Merit’s Ark bow is not great, but I decided long not not to try to fix it.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for your kind comments, I have been missing in action due to life getting in the way a bit, and so haven't had the opportunity to progress much with the beast over the past month, I even haven't managed to come on here and say thank you for all the kind comments, I'm hoping though that normal service will be resumed soon !!  

Cheers

David

• Like 8

• 4 weeks later...

Looking very impressive David.

Whilst serving on Bulwark in 66/67, there was a gangplank for want of a better word that jutted out front of the cable deck. If you walked the 3m to the end and turned around (which took me more than a couple of attempts), you could watch the flying fishes leaping out of the bow wave.

Colin

• Like 4

On 19/04/2020 at 01:01, Midland1965 said:

You've made a magnificent start there on your audacious enterprise. I'll watch your build of this illustrious ship with great interest - whatever formidable challenges along the way, I'm sure you will emerge victorious in the end. Yes, I did see what you did and probably like a pun more than is healthy! :-)

Personally I find such silly, pointless punning a  Royal pain in the Ark.

🤪

• Haha 3

22 hours ago, heloman1 said:

Looking very impressive David.

Whilst serving on Bulwark in 66/67, there was a gangplank for want of a better word that jutted out front of the cable deck. If you walked the 3m to the end and turned around (which took me more than a couple of attempts), you could watch the flying fishes leaping out of the bow wave.

Colin

This one.  It was a bit precarious when underway!

spacer.png

View towards the China Fleet Club, on the right, Hong Kong harbour 1967, taken from the said plank (whilst buying rabbits from the locals on the cable deck).

spacer.png

Mike

• Like 5

2 hours ago, bootneck said:

This one.  It was a bit precarious when underway!

spacer.png

View towards the China Fleet Club, on the right, Hong Kong harbour 1967, taken from the said plank (whilst buying rabbits from the locals on the cable deck).

spacer.png

Mike

Many thanks Mike, probably more scary than precarious! Hong Kong night lights, lots of memories.

Colin

• Like 2