Airfix 1/72 Bf 109G-6 Dual Combo

Update to convince myself there is progress. 😀

Minischmitt is looking ok with the brush painted RLM 74 - I had an issue where both wing trailing edges were distorting every time I applied a coat of paint. I slathered some superglue on, rubbed it down, and it seems to have done the trick. All the other bits are patiently awaiting their time in the sun - ready to go. A bit of 75 + 76 next, hopefully with a bit of hairy stick mottling.

50059659886_7ddf749b96_c.jpg

50059089313_8504a8747b_c.jpg

50059659756_9d706b8729_c.jpg

The Frankenschmitt has had a step forward in that the etch side panel has been glued in place. The self-adhesive was pretty poor, so it got a liberal dose of cyano. I had to create a ledge for it to sit under to match the Tamiya kit - fortunately there was plenty of thickness available - the guys ay Haldane Place really thought of everything! It'll get a dose of RLM 66 in the near future to get rid of the denim effect. 😒 The port wing is coming on - a bit more fettling and work on the stbd wing to match can commence.

50059659786_e536832a7e_c.jpg

50059089333_0f66138d2a_c.jpg

• Like 9

Just now, AdrianMF said:

I like ‘em both! Never realised there was so much wrong with the kit. Wasn’t life blissful back then? :)

Thanks - yup - it's funny how for all of my childhood the shape of the Bf 109 was the Airfix shape. It's an odd one as the wings are the correct span, but everything else is too small.

If we could only know how and why the drawing office did it this way - perhaps it was the same team that cobbled up your Hudson? 😄

• Haha 2

Minischmitt has some colour on the uppers - trying to build the paint up in the main areas before starting the mottling.

Frankenschmitt has had the port side inner panel attached, along with some of the etch sundries. The denim effect has had a good rub down, and now looks like distressed denim - very 70's. Just waiting for a couple of small etch parts to dry so that they can be bought in with the sprayed RLM 66. I fitted a false floor for the etch cockpit tub part to sit on, it just seemed it would be easier to do it this way than have it it flailing around trying to be squared up. Back on the wings next. 😀

50078913552_3d1099a759_c.jpg

50078091473_e1bcb0b61a_c.jpg 

• Like 8

Mottling next for Minischmitt - perhaps it could have done with another coat of RLM 75, but time's a wastin'.

Frankenschmitt almost has a complete cockpit - hopefully finish it today and then button up the fuselage. The Eduard stuff has tried my patience, and the pre-painted stuff is ok for some bits but doesn't work on anything you need to bend. Lessons have been learnt - and it looks ok. 😀

50089141153_6d48c13f7a_c.jpg 

50089951972_a9dfd7aa56_c.jpg 

• Like 7

Minischmitt has had the main mottling sponged on - just need to infill a little with RLM 02, and then it can be glossed ready for decals!

Frankenschmitt has been buttoned up, the nose has had a AZ cowl grafted on, one of the wings is a good enough shape for me, and some of the other little bits are progressing. The cockpit looks busy enough, and the Falcon canopy comes in three parts so it will be left open. Onwards! 😀

50103972246_ccddfa09e0_c.jpg

50103395888_69bdcf6cf4_c.jpg 

50104203302_d5c08f1936_c.jpg 

50103395838_43b5d78405_c.jpg 

50103395833_a93a548050_c.jpg 

• Like 8

Decals are on, all six of them. Fortunately I had a second sheet for the kit as the first lot disintegrated as soon as they left the backing sheet. Another coat of klear went on, with a bit of weathering and another satin coat to seal it all in. I'll wait until it's dry and then tidy it up and get some other bits on. A final matt coat should see it complete.

Its bigger brother is progressing - the nose has been attached and the AZ cowl grafted on - files are at the ready to whip it into some sort of Messerschmitt shape hopefully. The other wing is buttoned up, so can be tidied up and the wheel well altered.

50130146586_c943d0e73b_c.jpg

50130146496_67186bf3fe_c.jpg

50130146551_f25c2007f3_c.jpg

• Like 4

..and part one is finished, or, I have had enough of it! Brush painting the matt varnish was a challenge, but all in all I think it looks ok, and better than I would have managed on a Saturday afternoon back in the day.

Here she is, more pics in the gallery soon.

50143877726_5245f09032_c.jpg

• Like 12

...and part 2 plods on. The fuselage is not too bad, the tailplane position has had to be raised and my Milliput seems to be taking ages to harden - old age I suppose. I decided to ditch the Airfix exhausts - the AZ kit has provided alternatives, and I need to dig out the fuselage to allow them to slot in. I have given most of the small bits a squirt of Alclad primer. The starboard wing is being added to and sanded to match the port one - hopefully they'll be close enough so no-one notices the differences. I see more filling and sanding ahead. 😀

50163755336_5efc9dc3d9_c.jpg

• Like 3

A little bit of progress after a couple of backward steps. The Alclad primer is still going off after a week, so where I have needed to work on a part I have just stripped it off - I kinda knew I should have mixed in a bit of Mr.Color self-levelling but I didn't. 🙄 It was also apparent that when the cockpit had the shelf fitted, that the coaming behind it wasn't quite square, so that has been resolved. The tail was also bent - I thought I had resolved this earlier, but as the build progressed it became more noticeable. In trying to coerce it back into position it snapped off, which at least meant I could glue it back so it didn't look bent. I also handled the port wing a bit too roughly, and cracked a join - brilliant. The notches for the replacement exhausts have been cut out, and the wheel well on the starboard wing is being built up as we speak. Next job is to get some detail onto the canopy parts as the Falcon plastic is too thin on its edges. Once that's done the from and rear parts can be glued into position. The pics are with it cobbled together with tape and blutack - at least it looks like a 109 now - Onwards!

50183935937_b0c7bc420d_c.jpg

50183133873_081ce9e7e3_c.jpg

• Like 3

Not gonna make it to the finish line I think, but the more I do the less work involved to get it finished in the KUTA GB later on in the year - we shall see. 😀

4 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Oh yes, really coming together now.

Given all the fight that this is putting up you really are doing an excellent job.

Thanks, I have gone past the stage of being disheartened by it now - quite looking forward to getting back to some easier modelling with the OH-6DA in the Chopper GB.

• Sad 2