Panzer Kampfwagen II

Wasn't originally planning to enter this GB as nothing in the stash fitted, but I just happened to find my self in Monk Bar Models, York before Christmas (if anyone ask I was Christmas shopping for my nephew) when I happened on the following kit, and at £9.99 it would have been rude not to buy it.

spacer.png

From memory I probably first built this late 70's or early 80's.

The kit was my first 1/35 armoured subject and my first Tamiya kit.

I am guessing it would have been originally bought from Beatties in Portsmouth, which was only 10min walk from my Gran's house. 

• Like 18

On 18/04/2020 at 12:46, Jb65rams said:

I am guessing it would have been originally bought from Beatties in Portsmouth

That took me back. I bought a Tamiya Lancaster there in the mid 80s and it has an honoured place as the earliest kit in my stash, still boxed and survived numerous house moves. Maybe one day...  Anyway good luck with your build I really enjoyed making these Tamiya armour kits back when they were the best you could buy.

On 18/04/2020 at 14:21, Hewy said:

Bargain ,an Oldie but goodie, I've  got this and a stug 3 in the stash, these still build up really well, any extras?

Not planning any extras, bar a small diorama base.

Sprue shot

spacer.png

After a couple of hours, I had completed major assembly. Went together really well.

spacer.png

Use some scraps plasticard to fill in some of gaps on the tank body.

spacer.png

Finally gave it a coat of black primer.  Just ordered Vallejo's German Afrika Korp paint set. In the meantime I will make a start on the figures, they all will need a bit of clean up as they all have quite prominent model seam lines to be removed.

spacer.png

• Like 8

My son bought one of these from Hobbycraft a couple of years ago,  fantastic value for the price - and that's the Hobbycraft price 😁

John 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Made a start on the base. Purchased a small MDF base of eBay, and gave it a smear of Wilko's finest cheapest filler to provider some texture.

The kit come with 4 infantry figures, due to the size of the base I think I am only going to use 3. Will look like something below.

spacer.png

Base with some paint applied.

spacer.png

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Work on the figures continues.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Don't do a lot of figure painting but happy the way they turned out.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Calling this one finished, really enjoyed this build. I don't recall it turning out like this 40ish years ago.

Now looking forward to the T34 STGB and another Tamiya golden oldie.  

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

That has turned out very well. This was also my first 1/35 kit, and I avoided the figures as too hard to paint.

I can't remember why now, but I do remember wanting to repaint it so I soaked the turret in white spirit to get rid of the original paint. It made the plastic all floppy, so I used the hull as a paint mule and experimented with various 'conversions' involving all kinds of guns, missiles and what have you.

Andy