F-14A Tomcat (Hasegawa 1:72)

8 hours ago, Captain Mark said:

Great to see you pushing on even though you've had a few challenges, it's looking great so far! It's also surprisingly big for 1/72, hope you've got some extra shelf space! 😬

Yep, I was thinking the same yesterday re. the size; looks a different scale when next to a WW2 prop job!

• Like 1

Hi Nigel. I hope you and yours are all well. This is looking very good so far. The cockpit looked especially impressive! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Thanks Stix - You're always very kind!!

If I'm honest, I was disappointed with the cockpit as I thought I had the etch to jazz it up. Never mind, I have the new-tool kit to go with the etch (and mask) now for the 'Vietnam GB' later in the year :yahoo:

OK - After keying all over with a very fine sponge sander, she's ready for primer. I've decided to fit the tanks (dry fitted for picture) but not the weapons; I'm keeping these for my 'new tool' build later in the year as it doesn't come with any!!

I meant to say before, I notched out the lights on the wing tips with a Dremel. The plan is to fill with some Micro Kristal mixed with some Tamiya clear Red and Green though I'll need to test it out first.

I've also decided it might be easier to fit the fins after painting as they get in the way of masking the ports. Will see how that goes :wonder:

2j1sS1h%5D

• Like 6

Its really great seeing this kit. 

I built this one when I was maybe 13 or 14, and it was my first kit that I was going to attempt 100% accuracy on. :) I made sure to get all the proper colors (it was nothing but approximations before then), I got an in-action book for details that I was going to scratchbuild from sprue., and I was even going to mask for painting. 
Things started off strong, but the scratchbuilding never happened, and when I started masking with regular 3M Scotch tap, paint began pulling off and so I decided to wing it. In the end I had a kit that was just as sloppy as all my prior builds, but with more accurate colors.  :D

Yours looks really great so far. Too bad about the ethch. But now you have an excuse to get the new tool kit, for a comparison build :)

• Like 1

On 5/13/2020 at 2:56 PM, SoftScience said:

Its really great seeing this kit. 

I built this one when I was maybe 13 or 14, and it was my first kit that I was going to attempt 100% accuracy on. :) I made sure to get all the proper colors (it was nothing but approximations before then), I got an in-action book for details that I was going to scratchbuild from sprue., and I was even going to mask for painting. 
Things started off strong, but the scratchbuilding never happened, and when I started masking with regular 3M Scotch tap, paint began pulling off and so I decided to wing it. In the end I had a kit that was just as sloppy as all my prior builds, but with more accurate colors.  :D

Yours looks really great so far. Too bad about the ethch. But now you have an excuse to get the new tool kit, for a comparison build :)

Thank you. New tool already purchased and lined up for the Vietnam GB later in the year :wink:

On 5/13/2020 at 4:08 PM, modelling minion said:

She is looking great Nigel, really nice.

Good idea leaving the vertical fins off as it does make painting and applying decals a lot easier, just make sure you test fit them to get the best fir before applying any paint.

Thanks Craig  :happy:  I have laid the first colour (over primer and some pre-shading). Not sure it's clear in the photo but I'm happy enough with it!! A few areas to mask and pop on different colours then it gloss and decals!!

2j2haxy%5D

2j2h98K%5D

• Like 8

On 5/15/2020 at 6:20 PM, Hewy said:

That looks smooth enough to decal without gloss, nicley built and painted👍

Thanks Glynn. I did wonder but there's always silvering in the back of my mind. Might try a couple of small ones and see how I go 🤞

On 5/15/2020 at 2:06 PM, modelling minion said:

Very nice indeed Nigel, I find that pre-shading doesn't show well in pictures but looks much better in the flesh.

You did a very neat job of it by the way, especially for 1/72.

Thanks Craig. If I'm honest, I though I'd made a hash of it; just needed some thicker grey in parts to tame it down :wink:

• Like 2

Thanks Craig :happy:

Well, here she is (decals completed between fishing and BBQing this weekend). The big decals on the tail took loads of Sol and where they form to the molding, have cracked slightly. However, I'm hoping to lose that with some weathering. I'm also toying with having this as 'in-flight' on a stand. The wheel wells will be open but you'd never know when looking down at it  :wonder:. Reason behind it is to take away the lessons to the new tool build (Vietnam GB) later in the year and put that one on it's UC  :think:  I also get to start my Corsair sooner :wink:

2j5tCk6%5D

• Like 6

18 hours ago, Hewy said:

Thats Looking good nigel, you can't beat an in flight f-14

On 5/25/2020 at 1:18 PM, modelling minion said:

Awesome Nigel! Sundowners markings really are the best.

Hi Craig / Glynn,

Thanks for being such great Co-Hosts :happy: Your company and support is always greatly appreciated.

Thanks to Dansk too for the idea and hence the GB!

Well, here she is. I'm just about to post these pics in the gallery. I'm ready for the Corsair GB now.

Cheers

Nigel

2j5Qz2B%5D

2j5QyXP%5D

2j5UKAZ%5D

2j5Tcr9%5D

• Like 6

Hi Nigel. I hope you are keeping well. Well that has turned out beautifully! It looks truly awesome with its colourful decals and your subtle weathering. Very well done! :worthy:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

They really are a great set of pics Nigel, and I think the weathering is fantastic, the contrast with the bright squadron markings works a treat.

Thanks Craig!! :smile: I was lucky with the rays of sun on the second picture!!

54 minutes ago, Dansk said:

Wow that looks incredible, absolutely stunning. Nice work!

Very kind of you!! Thank you :smile: And thanks for idea of the GB!! Not built one in 40 years and now there's another planned in a few months!! :laugh:

54 minutes ago, Hewy said:

Wow, that looks superb, the sunshine sets it off a treat, they look great modelled  "in flight" dont they?,

Cheers nigel

Glynn

Thank you, Glynn :happy:  Yes, they do!!  I was planning to put the next one on wheels but I'm not so sure now :wonder:

3 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Nigel. I hope you are keeping well. Well that has turned out beautifully! It looks truly awesome with its colourful decals and your subtle weathering. Very well done! :worthy:

Kind regards,

Stix

Many thanks, Stix  :happy:  I wasn't sure what to do re. the weathering so I'm glad it turned out OK

• Like 2

Lights on wing tips now in place!! I realise there are meant to be a few more but they'll be there on the next build :wink:

Gallery also updated :penguin:

2j677nv%5D

2j677kX%5D

2j677mU%5D

• Like 5