Lockheed U-2 / TR-1 in 1/72

rossm

Unless I'm losing my search powers there are no currently available U-2 or TR-1 kits in 1/72. Does anyone know of any future releases or re-releases?

If not I'll dig out my old Airfix one for a refurb.

Airfix did the early U2 with raised panel lines.  Academy did one which looked suspiciously like Airfix's but with recessed panel lines.         

Good luck finding the Academy kit I gave mine away many years ago and have looked for another for years, wish they would re release it.

Regards  Glenn

Edited by cardiff guy

Yes, these are a bit thin on the ground these days. I'm lucky in having both an Airfix, and both SH U-2 / ER-2 boxings, but I haven't seen either available for a long time.

Cheers,

Andre

Edited by Hook

Then there's the excellent 1/72 Rareplanes vacform that allowed for several versions to be built. I think I have that one, and will have to find it and dig it out. Haven't seen that one on any of the usual auction sites for quite a while. I recall the canopy on both the Airfix and Academy kits isn't correct, and I vaguely remember reading somewhere that an F-104 canopy makes a good replacement, (Don't use one from the Esci/Italeri kits, though, as they have shape issues as well.)

Mike

Hello,  didn't  High planes have one in their catalog? Cheers from France!

Edited by robonth

1 hour ago, robonth said:

Hello,  didn't  High planes have one in their catalog? Cheers from France!

I'm 90% of the way through a High Planes RB-57D. I'd need a rest before tackling another of their kits, the result is ok but it needed more work than a mainstream kit.

Edit - it's not in their catalog now.

24 minutes ago, Robert said:

I have both the Academy and Airfix U -2 and the Airfix one can be built but needs a lot of TLC,

I have a built Airfix one, guess I'm going to be rebuilding it.

Edited by rossm
Update on High Planes

I would REALLY like to see SOMEONE produce a new 72nd U-2S/TR-1 kit.  I'm ready to put some money down for one!

WARDOG

• Like 2