Tim's Airfix Dauntless - COMPLETED

About the only qualifying kit from my stash,  originally received when I was about 9.  A gift from a party for children at the factory my dad worked at.

I remember building this kit at my grandparents' place,  and asking my grandad what size engine - he ran a garage.

Unpainted, and covered in glue fingerprints, it was my first success at a turning prop.

Airfix-SBD3-Dauntless.jpg

This particular kit a purchase at Jet Age.  An older couple came to Jet Age on 17 Nov 2019, selling their late-son's kit stash.

A bit of a dead-man's locker sale,  I bought this Dauntless for £5.  I'm pretty sure I knew of this GB by then - so bought the kit for the possibilties it offered.

And the proceeds went to the museum - which earned a round of applause at briefing.

I built another Airfix Dauntless in Dec 2019 for the Film GB - so should be quite familiar with the kit.

Planning to build this 3 colour option, delaying painting until a Corsair in the same scheme.

Dauntless-Option.jpg

• Like 14

And whilst we're waiting, my more recent Dauntless builds - that original is long-gone.

Firstly a 1997 Bilek build

Airfix-Dauntless1.jpg

Next my Dec 2019 Midway build.

Airfix_DauntlessMW_FS.jpg

At the same time I repainted that Bilek build as a French Air Force SBD-3 Banshee.

Airfix_Dauntless_Vendee_RP.jpg

And here the full set.

Dauntless-Previous.jpg

• Like 14

Nice! Is the Bilek an Airfix re-pop? I have the Bilek Whirlwind (fighter) which is the Airfix moulding in a different bag. The Airfix kits in dark blue plastic were not my favourite as a kid - you had to put the paint on really thick to cover up the dark blue! 

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Nice! Is the Bilek an Airfix re-pop? I have the Bilek Whirlwind (fighter) which is the Airfix moulding in a different bag. The Airfix kits in dark blue plastic were not my favourite as a kid - you had to put the paint on really thick to cover up the dark blue! 

Regards,

Adrian

Confirming that it is an Airfix re-pop.    This one was also in a bag.

• Thanks 1

Excellent choice!

I built this twice back in the day, the first time when I was just 11. I have another barely started*, and so it would be a candidate for this GB. But the prospect of sanding down all those rivets has put me off for now.

*And two more in the stash ...

Hi there. This is one of my first few posts so hi to all and thanks for welcoming me. This site truly is a great resource and speaks er, volumes about how diligently the forums are contributed to and the depth of knowledge here really is fantastic. The builds are also of such impressive quality, I haven’t seen a bad one yet! Regarding the Dauntless, it’s design and lines as an airframe really are beautiful IMHO. Somewhere I read and It’s strange to me, that some pilots were not that keen on the airframe, derogatory even. I’ve got the Hobby 2000 in 1.72 ready to go after the (now dragging a bit) Revell B17 G gets completed.
I’m doing the SBD 5, as seen on the box art. The background about this one, the gunner hanging out the back of the thing to retrieve the machine gun, it’s a great background story. Has anyone built this kit and any essential pointers that would be advisable? Order of assembly, sequence of colour application for instance? The various shades of blues and greys will be a great starting point for a complete airbrush newbie. A good exercise at least. Wish you well and thanks for any tips.

• Like 2

On 4/24/2020 at 5:42 AM, blanco77 said:

Hi there. This is one of my first few posts so hi to all and thanks for welcoming me. This site truly is a great resource and speaks er, volumes about how diligently the forums are contributed to and the depth of knowledge here really is fantastic. The builds are also of such impressive quality, I haven’t seen a bad one yet! Regarding the Dauntless, it’s design and lines as an airframe really are beautiful IMHO. Somewhere I read and It’s strange to me, that some pilots were not that keen on the airframe, derogatory even. I’ve got the Hobby 2000 in 1.72 ready to go after the (now dragging a bit) Revell B17 G gets completed.
I’m doing the SBD 5, as seen on the box art. The background about this one, the gunner hanging out the back of the thing to retrieve the machine gun, it’s a great background story. Has anyone built this kit and any essential pointers that would be advisable? Order of assembly, sequence of colour application for instance? The various shades of blues and greys will be a great starting point for a complete airbrush newbie. A good exercise at least. Wish you well and thanks for any tips.

I just looked up the Hobby2000 Dauntless on Scalemates - it's related to Hasegawa, so should be really good.

It's the same colours as this build, for which my plan is to paint as I did for this Avenger.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...