What is it?

rossm

This one has got me going as I though I could recognise pretty much any UK military type but I'm stumped.

I don't know that I can post the photo directly so it will have to be a link and it's the aircraft in the background I can't identify. I think it's likely to be from 744 Squadron FAA, a trials squadron so may be a prototype on test?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Original-photograph-Perse-School-Cambridge-CCF-1956-St-Mawgan-RAF-Malvern-Camp/283848515469?hash=item4216b09f8d:g:jyAAAOSwNKRelxJ-

19 minutes ago, rossm said:

This one has got me going as I though I could recognise pretty much any UK military type but I'm stumped.

I don't know that I can post the photo directly so it will have to be a link and it's the aircraft in the background I can't identify. I think it's likely to be from 744 Squadron FAA, a trials squadron so may be a prototype on test?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Original-photograph-Perse-School-Cambridge-CCF-1956-St-Mawgan-RAF-Malvern-Camp/283848515469?hash=item4216b09f8d:g:jyAAAOSwNKRelxJ-

Boulton Paul Balliol maybe? Sorry, mistake. Intake is larger than Balliol's.

Edited by Egi vandor

It's a Firefly AS.7 with the standard wing mounted radar pod.

744 Sqn (NASWDU an Anti Sub trials unit) were based at St Mawgan with Fireflys, Avengers and Gannets at the time so that they could work closely with the based RAF ASWDU.  They still carried the Culdrose tailcode though.

Edited by 71chally
In brackets
  • Like 2

As an aside, an ex RN neighbor of mine regailed a story to me many years ago. Basically, he was delivering an AS7 to Northern Ireland . About halfway across the Irish sea the engine quit. Having gone through all the motions of restarting etc he decided it was time to leave and with one foot on the wing and one in the cockpit the engine picked up ! So back into the plane he carried on to his destination. I remember asking him about the guy in the back , but he said he was alone . 

Keith