Difference between these two compressors. AS 186

ToonarmY

Hi All, 

I am looking to buy a new compressor for my harder & steenbeck ultra 2 in 1 airbrush.

I have been told the AS186 is a good buget compressor to suit my needs.

I can get one for around 100 Australian dollars. However when I have searched for the AS 186 two designs keep coming up.

Is there a major difference between the two, older or newer model? I am struggling to find any information compairing them.

Screenshot-20200418-100659-com-alibaba-a

Screenshot-20200418-100717-com-alibaba-a

Screenshot-20200418-100743-com-ebay-mobi

Screenshot-20200418-100806-com-ebay-mobi

Edited by ToonarmY

Agreed, they look the same type. The older model has the pressure relief valve fitted directly to the tank. In this position it can foul on the compressor when operating. Mine did, but a bit of rejigging the compressor onto the tank fixed it. The newer version looks like it's been modified to fix this problem. Otherwise it's very good, I use it with an Aztek and it copes with the large nozzles OK.

The AF-186 has a built-in fan to help cool the "engine" so you might want to consider that one.

If you're stuck between the two versions of AS-186 I would actually go with the older one as it has slots for cooling, the newer one I see has both ends capped with metal plates.

Im confused which one is the old vs the new? 

Is the old one the one with pressure relief valve in red built in direct with the silver strait bar on the rear and plates either side. 

Or the old on the one with the bent silver bar and vents on the top black end sections? 

1 hour ago, bmwh548 said:

The old AS186 had the bent air line with vents on the ends of the "motor" casing. No idea if the one with plates is actually newer or just a different version.

Thanks, i have no idea which one to buy of the two or if it even matters both maybe equally as good

The 2nd version is definitely the older one, I bought a used one from ebay 4 years ago and am very happy with it.

There are a number of minor differences between the top halves of the 2 compressors so it's definitely possible the innards have changed as well, as to whether that will make any difference one way or the other to the compressor's performance, it's impossible to say.

A friend of mine has the first one for several years now (the one with the vents on the end of the casing). That's why I'm sure it's an older version.

However, looking at the photos on the second one you actually have the Haosheng logo, not Fengda. It could be that they're both old models, but with different specs depending on what the company on the label asked from the factory.

Like I said, if possible go with the new AF186 for the added cooling. You could probably live without it, but better to have it and not need it than having your thermal shutdown go off in the middle of airbrushing.

3 hours ago, bmwh548 said:

A friend of mine has the first one for several years now (the one with the vents on the end of the casing). That's why I'm sure it's an older version.

However, looking at the photos on the second one you actually have the Haosheng logo, not Fengda. It could be that they're both old models, but with different specs depending on what the company on the label asked from the factory.

Like I said, if possible go with the new AF186 for the added cooling. You could probably live without it, but better to have it and not need it than having your thermal shutdown go off in the middle of airbrushing.

I have also recently moved to Australia from the UK. It will probably benefit more from the fan