Morris Mini Cooper 1275s Mk.1 (Tamiya 1:24)

8 hours ago, Homerlovesbeer said:

If you use a good 2K clear coat you can always add the panel lines in after and if you don't like the effect, very easily wipe it off :)

Hi, I've used Tamiya lacquer (LP9) but have decided to leave it eau naturelle  :happy:

1 hour ago, Mr Mansfield said:

Great looking mini. I’ve done one of these Tamiya kits, they go together so well!

That do indeed! Hoping it's good looking at the end :laugh:

Another vote here for not overdoing the panel lines. But mainly, this thread is inspiring me to dig into the dusty boxes of old childhood builds for a resurrection of a Tamiya Mini. Nicely engineered kits.

• Like 1

On 5/7/2020 at 12:56 AM, wimbledon99 said:

Another quick update.

Bonnet resprayed (although I'll have to cut it back a tad), engine complete, glass and lenses complete, as are the smaller chromed parts and number plates complete. Once the inner door panels receive another coat and have the trim detailed, I just need to put it all together!! Just remembered, need to chrome the window / windshield trims as well as the bottom trim.

I'd usually add a pin wash round the doors but I'm not sure it would look right in this instance - Thoughts??

2iYnmVf%5D

Looking carefully at the door windows I cannot see the vertical split so the front portion slides back over the rear piece. It does show this on the box art. Hope this helps

Beautiful paint finish

• Like 1

@wimbledon99 I believe he is referring to the circled bit on the box art, and from memory when I built mine there is a kind of step in the clear side window parts at that point.  I chose not to do anything with it on mine, but you may be able to paint it...

vLQsPji.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There should be a small felt/brush seal running up between the front and rear parts of the sliding door glass.  It's to (hopefully) prevent draught when the window was shut.  All 3 of my minis were 70s ones with roll up windows, and I was too young to tell you how effective it was on my parents 65 Countryman (the budget estate version - without wood trim).

I think the strip was fixed on the rear pane, it was pretty narrow.

Edited by malpaso
  • Like 1

"I believe he is referring to the circled bit on the box art, and from memory when I built mine there is a kind of step in the clear side window parts at that point.  I chose not to do anything with it on mine, but you may be able to paint it..."

Aha!! Thanks Paul :smile:

I'll look at a strip of BMF. It might do the trick!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wimbledon99 said:

"I believe he is referring to the circled bit on the box art, and from memory when I built mine there is a kind of step in the clear side window parts at that point.  I chose not to do anything with it on mine, but you may be able to paint it..."

Aha!! Thanks Paul :smile:

I'll look at a strip of BMF. It might do the trick!!

I would suggest something like a dark brownish grey for the draught excluder.  There were no shiny chrome parts.  It was a U channel that was a snug fit around the leading edge of the rear (inner) door window.

Like this;

spacer.png

• Like 3

2 hours ago, klubman01 said:

I would suggest something like a dark brownish grey for the draught excluder.  There were no shiny chrome parts.  It was a U channel that was a snug fit around the leading edge of the rear (inner) door window.

Like this;

spacer.png

So it was!! OK - Thank you :smile:

I used a black pen/marker to make the black line between the windows.  That worked fine. 

On the real car there were brushes/fur on this. Prevent noise ,  dust and cold air from coming in to the car.  Did it work? Well, this came in from all other places. So it worked for this windows. 

The picture above is from a standard Mini 850. Your (and mine) Cooper S has the chrome protection plate in front of the door "pocket " as and the "door stopper" is not the belt, but a more fancy thing made of threads and strings. 

To open the door the picture has the standard black thread.  The kit, and my S had a chrome handle.  I believe this was standard for Cooper/Super De Lux and optional for others. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Major_Error said:

I used a black pen/marker to make the black line between the windows.  That worked fine. 

Thanks for the tip - Appreciated!! 👍

• Like 1

I ended up masking and spraying the rubber / brush on the window. I also detailed the inner door panels and brought the two halves together.

The BMF didn't go great and I was going to redo it; however, the paint was lifting in places and I didn't want to make it worse!!!! BIG lesson here - always key and primer first  :facepalm:

Never mind, as stated earlier, this will end up on my son's bedroom shelf when he's back at Uni so I'm not going to get too precious as I don't know how long it will last :wonder:

2iZyWgh%5D

2iZBEue%5D

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, Mr Mansfield said:

The BMF looks good to me. Maybe a little crinkled on the front window, but the other windows & trim around the wheels looks spot on 

Many thanks!! It will do for this one :wink:

I'm calling her done and ready for the shelf (I opted not to hinge the bonnet for better access)

2iZCwKG%5D

2iZFfoL%5D

2iZCwTH%5D

2iZGQYr%5D

2iZFfcZ%5D

• Like 8

Excellent work, and should give your son the carrot to get his own in 1:1 scale. 

Thanks for sharing this build, I know I enjoyed seeing such a nice model come together!

• Like 1

On 5/10/2020 at 7:33 PM, klubman01 said:

Nicely done!

On 5/10/2020 at 7:55 PM, Mr Mansfield said:

That’s a nice looking mini. You should be pleased with the result 

15 hours ago, RadMax8 said:

Excellent work, and should give your son the carrot to get his own in 1:1 scale. 

Thanks for sharing this build, I know I enjoyed seeing such a nice model come together!

All, Thanks for the kind words  :happy:  Some lessons taken away from this one but as far as a carrot is concerned, I'm hoping it does the trick :wink:

Really nice!

One thing that came into my mind is that the kit is that it contains the Austin Cooper grill, and the car is Morris Cooper. The grills were quite similar, but the Austin had the bars horizontal aligned (in running direction) and the Morris had the bars slanted. Not so easy to see, and even harder to solve. (On my kit I skipped to make a "fix").

Not best pictures, but the Austin Cooper MK1

spacer.png

And the Morris Cooper MK1

spacer.png

You might guess correct; "The Austin grill gave the best cooling for racing..."

Very nice model!!

And a pleasure to follow your building progress!

8-)

• Like 1

Err, the kit is badged as a Morris and the provided grille seems to be a Morris 7-slat one, so the model looks right to me. 

Both Coopers had different grilles to the standard minis, which again were different (pressed "mesh" Morris; wavy slats Austin).  And that's just Mark 1 Minis.  And people wonder why they never made a profit on the cars?

Cheers

Will

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Major_Error said:

Really nice!

One thing that came into my mind is that the kit is that it contains the Austin Cooper grill, and the car is Morris Cooper. The grills were quite similar, but the Austin had the bars horizontal aligned (in running direction) and the Morris had the bars slanted. Not so easy to see, and even harder to solve. (On my kit I skipped to make a "fix").

You might guess correct; "The Austin grill gave the best cooling for racing..."

Very nice model!!

And a pleasure to follow your building progress!

8-)

Thanks for the info and the kind words. Really appreciated :happy: Was nice having you along for the ride!

• Like 1