What makes you not drag everything out in the yard.....

Silvered decals. 

Especially when you have done everything by the book with gloss and setting solutions. 

Makes my blood boil. 

edit - you mean stuff which goes wrong and then you want to set it all on fire? 

Edited by Tony Oliver
  • Like 1

Do you mean destroying projects that went wrong, or destroying the collection resulting from obsession and fixation that stunts my life. Otherwise known as the 'stash'?

I did once take a completed model - a prize winner in fact - that I came to be unhappy with and stamped on it, so I would never be tempted to correct the defects I knew existed in it. That felt good.

Edited by 3DStewart
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, 3DStewart said:

Do you mean projects that went wrong, or the collection resulting from obsession and fixation that stunts my life. Otherwise known as the 'stash'?

I did once take a completed model - a prize winner in fact - that I came to be unhappy with and stamped on it, so I would never be tempted to correct the defects I knew existed in it. That felt good.

I was thinking more of................when something goes wrong for the umpteenth time, what stops you from dragging you gear, tools, kits, decals, paints........basically everything modeling related..........out into the yard and lighting it on fire?

I'm like a bull in a china shop when in comes to knocking fiddly bits off.  Then having a hard time getting them back on cause the glue won't stick.  Only to knock them off 20 more times.  Messing up paint jobs trying new things.  Dropping a newly dipped canopy on the floor and having to clean it and start over.  Misplacing a tool you were just using.

Only been back doing this since what, October and many times I've wanted to take everything to our club meeting and tell people, it's free, take it, I'm done.  I've taken a month of breaks (in total) with vacations.  Unless it's dealing with photo etch in a cockpit, I actually enjoy the process up until painting and then usually it stalls.  On this Hellcat (STGB) I actually was loving it until I screwed up on the weathering trying new things.  Once something happens it seems like it's a hassle until the end with less than stellar results.

19 minutes ago, BlueNosers352nd said:

I was thinking more of................when something goes wrong for the umpteenth time, what stops you from dragging you gear, tools, kits, decals, paints........basically everything modeling related..........out into the yard and lighting it on fire?

My modelling has become the art of disaster recovery!

Yes, sometimes it's tempting to throw the whole lot out in frustration and think "I need a new hobby", but you have to fight that. Put everything down for a couple of days and then return to the disfigured model and ask these questions:

1. Can I see a way to correct the fault?
  2. Will my correction be good enough to rectify or hide the fault?
  3. Will the time and cost of the correction justify the end result?

If the answer is 'yes' proceed. If the answer is 'no' then scrap, sell, give away or break for spare parts and move on to the next project.

You also need to learn to plan ahead and work out where the damage likely points in the build are.  Always prepare your work area beforehand.  Clean, tidy with sufficient space. Never attempt a difficult job if tired or distracted.  Eliminate risks where possible. E.g. don't dip canopies, polish instead. Don't fix delicate parts until the end. Replace fragile parts with stronger substitutes. All my aerials are made from brass wire I file to shape.  It takes time but they don't get broken.   Modify parts so they have better location points.  Practice new paint techniques on ruined projects.  Slow but steady wins the race.

Edited by 3DStewart
  • Like 2
6 minutes ago, 3DStewart said:
  • Can I see a way to correct the fault?
  • Will my correction be good enough to rectify or hide the fault?
  • Will the time and cost of the correction justify the end result?

I'd add a fourth.

Will anyone ever notice?

I've just realized I've very methodically misread the instructions and created right-hand drive running gear to match my left-hand drive interior on the Italeri Land Rover fire truck. When finished it'll sit in my cabinet and just possibly be seen by one or two people. If anyone notices the mistake I'll be amazed.

Conclusion: move on and make sure I'm more careful next time (might be hard, as I spent ages studying and checking and still got it wrong!)

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Eric Mc said:

We're British. We don't have "yards" - we have "gardens" (even if it's smaller than a postage stamp).

I still don't have one

• Haha 2

What stop's me ???

Well....... The tool's are made of STEEL, and won't burn.

And the kit's ?.... I can at least salvage part's for my "junkyard" and re-use them on something else that will probably upset me even more....

( The only other thing that stop's me, is that I have neighbor's about a half mile away, and once I get a fire "Rageing" I dont want to stop it just to save a few human's that I dont like anyway........ but then the POLICE would get involved....... and that's a topic for a totally different fire...)

• Haha 2
19 hours ago, Eric Mc said:

We're British. We don't have "yards" - we have "gardens" (even if it's smaller than a postage stamp).

We're British and we definately DO have yards. Sometimes front, sometimes back , sometimes back, sometimes both.

I'm off to cut the grass on mine.

What stops me? Well I play sport. Play sport long enough and you sort of get use to the fact that you can literally do everything right and still snick it, or get the house knocked over. I mean has there been moments when my helmet has been flung across the change room, well yes. You think modelling angry is angry, oh no, sports angry is angry. 

4 hours ago, Circloy said:

We're British and we definately DO have yards. Sometimes front, sometimes back , sometimes back, sometimes both.

I'm off to cut the grass on mine.

You must be working class then :)

• Haha 2

Well, up here, the seasonal open fire ban has come into effect. No open fire anywhere. When you live in the middle of the great Canadian aboreal forest, this is what happens. It was just 4 years ago that the whole region, including this city of about 100,000 had to be evacuated because of a wildfire. With the present condition, where would you put that many people who may be potential virus carriers?

Chris

Lack of funds to replace stuff and start again.  Don't have the luxury of chucking models in the bin either - it's why I've not started so many of the dozen or so kits in my stash - FOSIU.

Edited by RobL
1 hour ago, Truro Model Builder said:

A yard? A yard? You 'ad it lucky! When I were a lad I were lucky t'ave a patch out back o' 'ouse. A patch!

Oh, we used to dream of having a patch, we had bit of kitchen roll wi cress growin on't!

I still don't have a yard/garden or window sill wide enuf for a box. I do have a planter but I grow flowers in it

• Haha 2
42 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

Oh, we used to dream of having a patch, we had bit of kitchen roll wi cress growin on't!

I still don't have a yard/garden or window sill wide enuf for a box. I do have a planter but I grow flowers in it

Kitchen roll, you were lucky.

We had to make do with dried potato peelings - and we were grateful for that.