1977 MPC Ford Off-Road Van

Dansk

Here’s my first build in this GB.

I remember this kit with such affection: 

I got it for Christmas (maybe 1978) and built it with my Dad (mostly him building and me ruining). 

I remember feeling the engine and chassis took us forever to construct (or it felt like it to my mind) while I was itching to get on with it looking a like a van. I remember thinking the raised off-road suspension and chunky wheels was SO cool.

Anyhow I really wanted to build it again so I’ve spent over 4 months casually trying to find one at a decent price and finally I got one, a week ago from the states at a decent price on evilbay. They are silly prices but this one slipped through the net.

So it’s on it’s way and hopefully will arrive this coming week.

I’ve only ever built one big vehicle like this before, and this was it!

So how is an American 43 year-old tooled kit with toast decals built by someone who’s never built a vehicle like this before gonna look?

Hmmmmmmm.... wish me luck 😳😄

spacer.png

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 14

My friend had the real article in High school his was all silver with no striping. Somewhat boring on the outside, inside it was brown shag carpet with some fancy woodwork and a queen size bed. Brings back plenty of memories and smiles. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Thanks fellas.

i was considering making it how an abused 70s van might look now...

this guy makes it look easy and it looks awesome!

but im sure its really difficult to achieve in reality.

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 6

Hoping my kit arrives for the start-date.

I’ve just been googling around for inspiration and this popped up.

Not a million miles away from my off-road van.

The paint job looks kinda do-able with masks and an airbrush. Hmmm...

Maybe i should also put burt reynolds in mine? 😁

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

44 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Oh I think you have to now!

Maybe i should ring up hannants and ask if they have a 1/25 scale burt reynolds? Wonder what they’d say 🤔 ‘we have a couple of 1/48 chuck norris’s, three 1/24 chris christoffersens aka rubber duck, and a whole load of 1/25 david hasselhoffs aka michael knight, but no burt reynolds i’m afraid sir. 😁

Edited by Dansk
  • Haha 5

10 minutes ago, Dansk said:

Maybe i should ring up hannants and ask if they have a 1/25 scale burt reynolds? Wonder what they’d say 🤔 ‘we have a couple of 1/48 chuck norris’s, three 1/24 chris christoffersens aka rubber duck, and a whole load of 1/25 david hasselhoffs aka michael knight, but no burt reynolds i’m afraid sir. 😁

I'm sure you could kit bash one from that lot!

• Haha 1

Nothing to see here yet, Im hoping the kit ill arrive this week 🤞

In the meantime I’m decaling a hangover from the mustang stgb this evening, which is not the worst way to spend time 😊

49822267443_3bd46ecd17_b.jpg

• Like 9

Yow! that's bright.

I'm looking forward to seeing the Van arrive.

Bedford CF's with Rover V8's were the hot ticket in England at the peak of the Van craze. Ah, General Grabbers, Thrush sidepipes and whip aerials... Jumpers for Goalposts....

• Like 2

I can't remember the first time I came across MPC, they certainly weren't common when I was young. I would have loved some of their vehicle kits - much cooler than and Airfix Austin Allegro!

John

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Mustang is looking very good Paul, one of my favourite schemes.

Thanks craig, decals including stencil data all completed tonight, will tomorrow be van day? We hope so. 🤞

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, wimbledon99 said:

Nice jig there, Paul (Mustang is great too :wink:). Is it home-made or shop bought??

It’s shop bought. I’ve had it for a couple of years now - can’t remember for the life of me where i got it from though. 🤔

p.s. the sponge bits are ‘designed’ by me 😁

Edited by Dansk
  • Haha 1

According to the seller my van left miami with us postal serive on 17th april. I hope its slow progress due to corona rather than it getting lost 😢

• Sad 2

I did a deal a few weeks ago with a member in L.A. We traded for some decals, he got my decals 3 days later from Chicago. But his are still MIA. I think some Post office locations are harder hit with COVID. Which means anything listed as second class postage, or non essential goes when there is room for it ?