FROG Heinkel He219

Ooh-er! Looks like it might not be one of FROG's finest...

Looks like you are improving it in the right direction though. Looking forward to more - don't edit the spreadsheet!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

Canopy on and masked.  Primed with grey plastic auto primer.

spacer.png

I'm showing you this from the port side.  The fit of the canopy on the starboard side is atrocious!  I haven't been entirely successful in fixing it.  Not sure what I'm going to do about that yet...

But moving swiftly on...  

Uppersurfaces sprayed with Xtracrylix XA1208 RLM 76 Lichtblau.

spacer.png

Mottle added with Xtracrylix XA1207 RLM 75 Grauviolett.

spacer.png

Strictly speaking, for the markings I am going to use, the uppersurfaces should be RLM 75 with a pattern of RLM 76 lines.  However, I thought I would go with the more typical mottle scheme.

• Like 13

On 5/8/2020 at 9:27 PM, Enzo Matrix said:

I claim no accuracy for the components.  The side consoles in the forward cockpit come from a Special Hobby Viggen.  Those in the rear cockpit come from a spare jet cockpit of indeterminate origin.  The instrument panels come from a Special Hobby Mirage F1.  I'm hoping that no one can see through the canopy to be able to comment on the anachronisms...   :lol: 

I'm sure no harm will be done either way.  I dressed up the cockpit of a Monogram Tigercat with cut-down cockpit components from a scrapped Academy Hellcat.  Well it was another Grumman after all.

• Haha 1

Hi Enzo, 

I did think the mottle was initially a bit big - looks much better now. Most of my pics show the overall light blue/grey but I know there is a pic somewhere of one from NJG1 with black undersurfaces, and also some only had one wing underside (starboard usually) in black as a recognition feature so that when coned by searchlights the AA guncrews would hopefully recognise it as friendly and not open fire. I built one of these the year it came out and I haved another now in a Revell box, but as I mentioned in the Frog GB last year, I am unsure if it is the Frog one reboxed, or the one Revell did themselves according to Scalemates - I suspect it is the latter. May be wrong but I think they also boxed it as Matchbox at times just to confuse matters. Must dig it out and check!

Coming along nicely.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

"This is a nightfighter.  To my mind nightfighters should always have a black undersurface."

The RLM76 undersides on the nachtjägers must have been that colour for a reason, but black seems logical.

2 hours ago, Natter said:

"This is a nightfighter.  To my mind nightfighters should always have a black undersurface."

The RLM76 undersides on the nachtjägers must have been that colour for a reason, but black seems logical.

The RAF had a similar scheme for their Mosquito and later Beaufighter nightfighters. It was overall Medium Sea grey with an uppersurface disruptive pattern of Dark Green.

The logical scheme is overall matt black, which both the RAF and Luftwaffe used in the early part of the war.  However it seems that RAF experience showed that a matt black (or "Special Night" as the RAF called it) nightfighter could provide a stark silhouette against the night sky, which is rarely truly dark.  The medium grey scheme seemed to provide a better camouflage at high altitude.   I imagine the Luftwaffe came to a similar conclusion.

RAF night bombers retained black undersurfaces but they were later semi-gloss providing some reflections, which simply looked like starlight when the aircraft was caught in a searchlight.

The grey camouflage scheme was simply another step along the path of evolution from night fighters to all weather fighters.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Dansk said:

It looked so amazing, hope you can do craigs blu-tack trick and finish her enzo

I filled the nose gear bay with liquid gravity and that brought the CG far enough forward so that it lines up with the main gear, so the stability of the model is now marginal.  If there is a slight slope on the surface on which the model is sat, I can point the nose "downhill" and it will sit on its gear quite happily.  But it's an unstable equilibrium.  Any slight disturbance and it's back on its tail again! :lol:

I've put a tail stand of transparent sprue just behind the CG which helps no end.  As the stand is mostly hidden by the wing, it is quite unobtrusive.

The only thing missing from the model is the antennae.  I will fit those tomorrow just before I take photos for the gallery.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Great to hear that your Uhu is back on track and tentatively sitting on all 3 wheels Enzo.

<pedant alert>

Five wheels and a tail strut

</pedant alert>

:smartass:    :lol:  

• Haha 2