1/48 Tamiya F-14D- VF-11 Red Rippers- Flying a Rainbow- Change is in the wind

Antb

Hi All, 

In these very strange times we live I hope that you are all keeping well, safe and filling your time either working from home or getting through your stash. 

This kit needs absolutely no introduction whatsoever- its the 1/48 Tamiya F14D Tomcat, as seen here:

20200417-210535.jpg

I've had this in the stash for the best part of a year and now is the time to get cracking. Originally, I was going to build the bird in the markings of The Grim Reapers as it looks awesome, however something much more appropriate came to light that I had previously discounted:

20200417-210550.jpg

The Red Rippers with the Rainbow on the rudder- quite apt given the circumstances. 

As always with any of my builds im no aficionado and the build wont be winning any competitions but will be a nice out of the box build, and I hope to learn new techniques as we go. Id love any of you to follow along and chip in with any abuse or advice 🙂

I do have a few questions before we start if anyone can help that would be great: 

1) This one relates to weapon loadouts for the Rippers in the period of their time with the Vinson. I understand that VF-11 were only training their crews during this time for ground attack so what would a Cat have carried during this time. 

2) Colours called out by Tamiya. Appreciate that colour is always a can of worms and im not too concerned with being 100% accurate however images I have found online suggest that these birds were much lighter than the colours called out by Tamiya. Ive seen builds online with Light gull grey all over and some with Tamiya XF19 Sky Grey all over but the instructions shows a dark colour on the uppers. Can anyone give me any idea of what approximate colours would be appropriate? I know paints faded and im going to be weathering this bird big time with loads of fading and staining but wondering whats a good basis to start off with that I can then weather from there? 

No progress to show as yet, this is a place holder as have a touch of weathering to finish on my first ever armour build which will be done in a few days, hopefully enough time for me to hopefully get some pointers to my questions. 

Apologies for the ramble, stay safe and stay home if you can. 

Cheers Chaps and Chapettes. 

🐜

Edited by Antb
  • Like 5

Nice project!

Can't really help with your questions though!

Maybe some practice bombs? Sidewinder aquisition round? Lantirn pod? Surely nothing live though!

Will check google later....

• Thanks 1

Thanks Exdraken, 

Since last nights post I have been doing a bit more digging re weapons loads and was in the process of typing this out when your reply came up 🙂

I've found an online image here: VF-11 F14D which I believe shows the actual bird im modelling. You can just about see underneath- I think I can see Phoenix missiles with Aim 9's and Sparrows under the wings. So im assuming the load would be AIM54's, AIM 9's and AIM 7's. The yellow and brown bands indicating live rounds? The photo suggests that this photo was taken around 95 so would fit perfectly with my build. 

The air to air works for me if the above is the case as I can use the bombs on the Superbug ive got coming. 

Re the colours, again this photo suggests the demarcation between the upper and lower colours is hard to see, the aircraft is battered but it is a little darker. It doesn't appear as dark as Tamiya suggest but if anyone could give me a shove in the right direction it would be massively appreciated. 

• Like 1

those missiles are definitely live ones... not a training set up! maybe a photo session during a some live weapons/CAP drill?

another one;

https://www.deviantart.com/fighterman35/art/F-14D-BuNo-163904-NK-100-VF-11-circa-1995-679161800

and down this site more interesting images!

http://www.seaforces.org/usnair/VF/Fighter-Squadron-11.htm

of if you only fancy special Rippers:

what about this one ;) 

F14D_163418.jpg

http://users.vermontel.net//~tomh/images/AIRCRAFT/USN/TYPES/FIGHTER/F14/F14D_163418.jpg

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Fab, thanks for the additional photos 🙂

I do like that Special Ripper scheme, it is tempting. Ill see if I could possibly cut the insignia out and use masks to paint it as only have the in box decals. 

Thanks again 

Those markings are from when VF-11 was at NAS Miramar with thier F-14Ds.  At that time, it was BEFORE LANTIRN was incorporated in the F-14D, so there are a couple of key points to point out in the assembly procedure.  Tamiya did a good job in point the out, but I'll reinterate them here -

Step 1 - Use Part N21 without the LANTIRN controller

Step 2 - Use parts J2, N16, and N24 which represent the RIO instrument panel before LANTIRN

Step 13 - use Do NOT part M22, use part B19 instead (the GPS domes were NOT installed, yet. Tamiya missed this difference)

Step 32 - skip this step, as bomb racks were yet to be commonly installed on fleet F-14D squadrons

Step 33 - go with option D for the same reasons in Step 32

Step 34 - Ignore parts P9, go with parts E20 for those markings during that timeframe

Step 35 - Ignore options A & B, as those are parts for the LANTIRN pod

Step 36 - Ignore all options for bombs and the LANTIRN pod.  Again these markings pre-date those items in fleet use.

Step 38 - Ignore options A & B for bombs again

A really good documentary for VF-11 (and VF-31) during the timeframe of those markings is "Carrier - Fortress at Sea".  Here is a link to a Youtube upload ->Carrier - Fortress at Sea 

Although every F-14D was wired to interface with the TARPS photo pod, I seem to remember that VF-31 was the squadron designated for any TARPS missions in thr USS Carl Vinson during that timeframe.   Then again that was 25 years ago and I was so much younger and thinner back then...

I'm eagerly look forward to seeing progress on your project!👍

Edited by John B
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

@John B That's fantastic information, thank you very much. 

Working my way (slowly) through the video, so far its great! 

No progress as yet, im still waiting to finish off the armour project as I don't like 2 projects going at the same time, im weird like that, but can see a start this week. 

Thanks again for the info really is appreciated! 

VF-11 was equipped with F-14Ds when they were shore-based at NAS Miramar.  Although I took pictures of F-14s Miramar in that timeframe at NAS Miramar, I can't find my scanned images in my files.   Here are some links to images that illustrate of how F-14Ds were equipped in the timeframe of those decals -

VF-31 F-14D 

VF-11 F-14D on USS Carl Vinson 

VF-11 F-14D (Temporary camo)

VF-124 F-14D

Over the years, I've come to this modelling site for information countless times.   I'm happy to be able to contribute something to another modeler's project!🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, John B said:

I'm happy to be able to contribute something to another modeler's project!🙂

And its really appreciated! 

Nice project! 

That time frame for vf-11 is best as a classic interceptor loadout with air to air missiles. 

Some sqns were just dabbling with dropping iron bombs at this time and the lantirn with all its associated gubbins hadn’t been integrated yet. Vf-103 developed all that in 96/97 if I remember correctly. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tony Oliver said:

Nice project! 

That time frame for vf-11 is best as a classic interceptor loadout with air to air missiles. 

Some sqns were just dabbling with dropping iron bombs at this time and the lantirn with all its associated gubbins hadn’t been integrated yet. Vf-103 developed all that in 96/97 if I remember correctly. 

Magic, thanks Tony. 

I'm hoping to make a start in the next day or so, finally! 

On 17/04/2020 at 21:22, Antb said:

however images I have found online suggest that these birds were much lighter than the colours called out by Tamiya. Ive seen builds online with Light gull grey all over and some with Tamiya XF19 Sky Grey all over but the instructions shows a dark colour on the uppers

Do not use light gull grey on this plane mate That’s the warm creamy grey assosiated with high viz schemes. 

This jet is wearing tps colours. 

Not sure which brand you prefer but here is a comparison of a few. 

• Thanks 2

Thanks again @Tony Oliver

My paints of choice is either tamiya or mr color aqeuous. Not really experimented with many brands tbh found that I liked these and have stuck with them. 

Looking at the light gull grey I used this on my F4J phantom and it would be wrong for this bird. Maybe not so for the black lions version. 

Thanks again tony. 

37 minutes ago, Antb said:

Thanks again @Tony Oliver

My paints of choice is either tamiya or mr color aqeuous. Not really experimented with many brands tbh found that I liked these and have stuck with them. 

Looking at the light gull grey I used this on my F4J phantom and it would be wrong for this bird. Maybe not so for the black lions version. 

Thanks again tony. 

Yeah correct the black lions option in this is a retro scheme with the gull grey. 

Mr Hobby aq should come out the same as the mr colour swatches in that link 👍🏿

1 hour ago, Tony Oliver said:

Mr Hobby aq should come out the same as the mr colour swatches in that link 👍🏿

Magic! 

53 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Antb,

Permission to step aboard Sir !

Great idea, I'll follow on if you don't mind it !

Sincerely.

CC

Of course CC, happy to have you on board

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Ooooooh, coooooool! Another purrrrrrfect project! ;) Sounds very promising! I'll follow the build with keen interest, looks like it's going to develop side-to-side with mine, although the two beautiful felines would nowadays be mortal enemies, if they ever had met up in the skies. Hehe. 😎

Hi folks 

No progress to report in afraid, never got round to starting the kit. 

Wife's business has gone mental so have been helping with that and home schooling the kids has meant nothing has happened as yet. 

I'm sure I'll make a start when I get chance though. 

• Sad 1

• 2 months later...

Hi Folks, 

I, as always, hope you are all keeping well. 

This must be the longest holding thread in the history of BM. I have had little spare time to get into the kit but the bit i have had i have sat down and just couldn't find the motivation to make a start. Having given it some thought, and on making progress with a 48th Spitfire i have been dabbling with, i have decided that the problem was with the markings on offer. They didn't get my juices flowing and i had no interest in the subject. If there's no interest in the build then youre not going to do a very good job. And this kit is far too expensive for that to happen

However, this has all changed and i have decided that this will be my next build but with an aftermarket decal set- i have a set on backorder from the Big H and hope they come back into stock. I have plumped for something that includes VF-31 as really like their schemes and is something i can get into. 

So the plan is that i will make this a fully documented build, which can be a struggle sometimes, but i am determined to make this one just that and learn about the F14 on the way. 

Next update should be in a month or so as busy with work and want to finish the Spit first but wanted to make a note here in case anyone is interested in the build moving forward. 

Any input really appreciated

Ant 

• Like 2