Now for something different - DFS Olympia

Now this is a bit different. I picked this up several years ago on a visit to Hannants at Colindale as I noticed one of the liveries provided was for a Royal Navy glider. I recalled that I had it a few days ago and thought if I could dig it out of the stash it would be a quick build and get done now I'm almost finished my other contributions. It's only got 11 parts and a canopy, pretty much one colour, no etch, no resin and only 4 transfers to go on. So it was found in a pile on the top shelf and out it came. 

resized_d7730b8a-48f4-4f8f-950c-8edb1069

1404f7da-01e4-498c-abb3-b1b0881deb1f.JPG

A simple simple set of instructions on one page. The colour call outs are in Czech but google translate helped out and the two I couldn't translate aren't used anyway. 

resized_4e5c9cd0-b17a-48d1-ad35-b8dc4ec8

Simple sprue, the big problem  is a number of fairly big ejection pins including one on each wing. 

resized_e6d915cb-da0e-4daa-b6dd-18b506c3

Small but comprehensive transfer sheet and tiny clear sprue with a canopy and something else which doesn't appear on the instructions. 

resized_dca488c3-c4a1-4491-b20f-85a242f7

• Like 2

Ive trimmed the fuselage sides off the sprue and painted the interior parts with an initial coat. Looking at the cockpit opening, and the thickness and slight cloudiness of the canopy I don't think much will be seen so I won't be super-detailing the interior. I will add a couple of lap belts to the seat. 

resized_cd71d66e-c278-4644-b438-62ce1ffa

• Like 3

The interior all painted up and complete. There are only three parts and two slivers of Kabuki tape for the seat belts. 

resized_cd16cded-1b51-4647-9af9-fc09b9cc

Fuselage closed up and wings cleaned up. There will be a little bit of work needed to tidy up the join but probably a little less than I expected. I will have to be careful to ensure that I'm not too enthusiastic as the shape is very characteristic and symmetrical. 

resized_15c54399-44e3-475a-84ce-ab1aed9f

I said the cockpit opening was small and theres there's very little to see. 

resized_4011f379-62a8-4f2a-a639-3e15646c

• Like 3

The fuselage joints all cleaned up; an initial sand down and Polish revealed a bit of a seam along the top and a small gap in the skid. They were filled with Mr Dissolved Putty and once dry sanded then polished. 

resized_5dc06758-fb0c-47fa-a7aa-a31456fe

Now with the wings on

resized_a77e080a-56d9-427d-bf75-bafb8a13

• Like 4

Tailplanes and rudder added along with a sliver of filler to close the small gap between the wings. And the airframe is finished. Now for some paint while I decide how best to deal with the canopy. It's a little cloudy, and a little little too. 

resized_7c60c188-04dc-49c8-948b-1386f7df

• Like 2

Now some paint on, a couple of coats of very thin Humbrol 103; Cream, brushed on. The colour doesn't look too bad and close enough. It's a matt paint so will need glossed up for,the transfers.  

resized_f15129d6-1f4d-45fd-a042-c2efad18

A few more coats before the varnish methinks. 

• Like 4

On 4/18/2020 at 3:57 PM, John Masters said:

Very cool.  I think the person that drew up your instructions also worked on my Seafang!  

That's a worry as I'm thinking about a Seafang for the Spitfire/Seafire GB. 

Painting pretty much done, I'll have to mask off the nose for a little dollop of red but that can wait. First I'll gloss her up with some Klear so I can put the transfers on.  

resized_d9cccff4-5270-48a4-a12b-371dc1f0

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, John Masters said:

Not to worry.  My Seafang for AZ Model is coming along just fine in the GB.  

I've made a few AZ Model kits and they do get vague  from time to time about where things go. I've got two in the stash and once I finish the builds for this GB and start on some Seafires for the other GB , I'll look to see about building a Seafang. I did build a CMR resin one some time ago but I'll be following your build to get a heads up. 

Edited by 825

24 minutes ago, 825 said:

I'll be following your build

Thanks!  I am almost done.  Decals tonight, then a bit o'varnish...bit of smoke.  

Edited by John Masters

Transfers on. And to be fair it didn't take very long. And they did behave very well. I suspect the canopy will take a little longer. 

resized_fab6cc10-597b-4a79-a40a-d0498859

• Like 3

Finished. Canopy on and the red nose cone painted. 

resized_333d71b3-536c-44fd-b76b-d721195f

resized_b52b855e-c893-41b7-ac91-9326d3ff

• Like 5

8 hours ago, rob85 said:

Quirky little build! I really like it, and adds some great variety to the GB.

Rob

Thanks Rob, it was a fun build.