Supermarine Spitfire F Mk.22 - Airfix 1/72 - ***Finished and in the Gallery***

Hi Stix,

I knew Airfix did this in 1/48 but I did not realise they also did it in 1/72 so I bought the MPM/Xtrakit version. Whether it will look anything like as good as this build I very much doubt. It does have a seperate cockpit door and radiators for the wing baths and also comes with both 3 and 4 "spoke" wheels, with the 3 spoke looking just a little smaller than the 4 spoke. The instructions say fit either so I will have to check into that!. As to the prop I will have to check more carefully but I thing it has about a 10'6" diameter so may be a little small.

The work you have done has relly improved this kit almost beyond recognition.

Pete

• Thanks 1

On 07/06/2020 at 20:02, Cookenbacher said:

Beautiful work Stix, your painting skills never cease to amaze me.

Hi Cookie. Hope you are well. You are too kind as always.

On 07/06/2020 at 20:05, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I agree with Cookie 110% If I could do this I wouldn't need my two airbrushes. 

Hi Dennis. Hope you are keeping well. Much too kind - I can't do a lot of the stuff you airbrush modellers achieve so beautifully!

On 07/06/2020 at 20:26, Johnson said:

That's some work with a brush Stix, Lovely!

Hi Johnson. Hope you are well. Thank you very much!

On 07/06/2020 at 20:51, JosephLalor said:

That's been my preferred method of avoiding wing-root seam filling for some time.  I generally do a test fit first, in case I'll end up with too much dihedral.  If that looks like being the case I'll apply a shim first and file flush, then attach the wings.  Putty really is a measure of last resort for me.

Hi Joseph. I hope you are well. It does seem to work quite well doesn't it?

On 07/06/2020 at 22:13, giemme said:

Wow, that was quite an update, Stix! :worthy:

Your usual impeccable paint work, which you definitely brought to art level! :clap:

Ciao

Hi Giorgio. I hope you and yours are all well. You are much too kind as always - but thank you! :thumbsup:

On 09/06/2020 at 13:47, John Laidlaw said:

Absolutely lovely brushwork!

Hi John. Hope you are well and thank you.

On 09/06/2020 at 15:03, PeterB said:

Hi Stix,

I knew Airfix did this in 1/48 but I did not realise they also did it in 1/72 so I bought the MPM/Xtrakit version. Whether it will look anything like as good as this build I very much doubt. It does have a seperate cockpit door and radiators for the wing baths and also comes with both 3 and 4 "spoke" wheels, with the 3 spoke looking just a little smaller than the 4 spoke. The instructions say fit either so I will have to check into that!. As to the prop I will have to check more carefully but I thing it has about a 10'6" diameter so may be a little small.

The work you have done has relly improved this kit almost beyond recognition.

Pete

Hi Pete. Hope you are well. Yes I didn't know Airfix did a 1/72nd version until I came across it by accident in a toyshop. It's actually quite a nice little kit and quite cheap.

I'm sure yours will turn out great!

On 09/06/2020 at 16:48, almac said:

Excellent painting as usual Stix. Very impressive. 

Cheers Allan 

Hi Allan. Hope you are well. Thank you very much.

On 09/06/2020 at 20:21, wimbledon99 said:

Nice paint job, Stix! She's looking lovely :like:

Hi Nigel. Hope you are well and thank you very much.

So after getting the Pledge (new version of Klear) on I started work on the underside decals:

49980488708_8b9d71d3e2_b.jpg

Before applying most of the decals to any build, I cut away any clear backing film, right to the printed design. It takes a bit of work but it minimises the amount of silvering. With some of the smaller or very complex decals I'm not able to cut all the film away. Once the underside decals were dry I gave the undersides of the wings a coat of Pledge.

Decals applied to the top of the wings:

49981018136_cb1126154b_b.jpg

With the decals on the wings sealed on with Pledge I next attached the windscreen before applying the decals to the port side:

49981018091_65a05a9e02_b.jpg

Once the Pledge had dried over the port side decals I finally applied the starboard decals:

49981271217_a6b94ccf49_b.jpg

Finally everything was given another coat of Pledge:

49981017996_73e2b33020_b.jpg

49981017931_01a7b02e8c_b.jpg

Next step was to glue the cannons in place:

49980488298_0333596717_b.jpg

They were then painted with the upper and lower colours.

Masking was applied to the windscreen and cockpit area before I gave everything a couple of coats of Humbrol's Matt varnish - applied from a rattlecan:

49981017796_f092a0fc5d_b.jpg

49981270242_0d7a8ac675_b.jpg

49980488098_0918b338b1_b.jpg

49981017646_4dc8176fa1_b.jpg

Next I need to add all the remaining parts - which have mostly been painted already.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 17

That's a thing of beauty Plastix.  You've just made up my mind what to finish this weekend - all three of mine.

I like what you've done with the Humbrol acrylics. I know a lot of people find them horrid, but I feel that they're quite tractable if you thin them and don't try to finish in one coat.

Edited by JosephLalor
  • Thanks 1

On 10/06/2020 at 22:34, giemme said:

Are we sure this is in 1/72?? :gobsmacked:

Impeccable finish, Stix! :clap:

Ciao

On 10/06/2020 at 23:00, Edge said:

Lovely job Stix!

Edge

On 10/06/2020 at 23:24, Bill Livingston said:

I'm not sure which is harder to believe... that it is 1/72 or that it was hand painted!

Very impressive indeed. 

There are some seriously capable modellers on this group build... but this takes some beating. Amazing work.

On 11/06/2020 at 01:34, JosephLalor said:

That's a thing of beauty Plastix.  You've just made up my mind what to finish this weekend - all three of mine.

I like what you've done with the Humbrol acrylics. I know a lot of people find them horrid, but I feel that they're quite tractable if you thin them and don't try to finish in one coat.

Hi @giemme, @Edge, @Bill Livingston and @JosephLalor. Hope you are all well. Thank you very much for your kind comments. Well, over the weekend I managed to get this finished and I'm actually quite happy with the result. 

I have thoroughly enjoyed making it and I can certainly recommend this rather nice, cheap kit. The PE adds something but I don't think would be absolutely necessary to make a rather good looking Spitfire.

Thank you too to everyone who has commented and offered help during the build and to @TEMPESTMK5 for his excellent GB hosting skills.

I'm off to build a tank for a bit and then I'm hoping to be building a Hurricane in the Battle of Britain GB.

A few photos of the finished Spitfire here:

49998285741_e0414f8d3f_b.jpg

49997763333_22f28e8815_b.jpg

49998295941_21ba3da454_b.jpg

A LOT more photos can be found in the RFI section here: 

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235075103-172-airfix-supermarine-spitfire-f-mk22-eduard-pe-set/

The Gallery photos can be found here:

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235070462-spitfire-stgb-gallery/&do=findComment&comment=3724198

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 14

I knew it!

I haven't been following this GB at all, I'm afraid, and only just now saw the notifications and thought I'd pop in for a look. I clicked on a notification and the page popped up. My finger was on the page down key so I 'entered' halfway down, and all I saw were a bunch of photographs. I knew straight away who's Spit it was.

So, Mr Stix, that is one hell of a nice Spitfire, by anyone's standards, and then I discovered it's in 1/72nd!! Amazing.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Thanks 1

Hello Stix,

Long time since  followed one of  your model builds.

:hmmm:

Following this build has been a joy..to see your perfect detailing  and what a magnificent  job you did.

.EXEMPLARY  workmanship and Your Spitfire looks IMPECCABLE and IMMACULATELY finished. 

:wow:  

:clap:

:worthy:

Off to look at the Glamor shots on RFI..

Good  job Stix.

HOUSTON.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I still find the skill at which you and a few others wield a brush is phenomenal. Great job on this one Stix. 

Hi Dennis. Hope you are well. Thank you very much for your kind comments.

13 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Yes, phenomenal is a good word; phenomenal result Stix.

Hi Cookie. Hope you are keeping well. You are most kind as well!

10 hours ago, Badder said:

I knew it!

I haven't been following this GB at all, I'm afraid, and only just now saw the notifications and thought I'd pop in for a look. I clicked on a notification and the page popped up. My finger was on the page down key so I 'entered' halfway down, and all I saw were a bunch of photographs. I knew straight away who's Spit it was.

So, Mr Stix, that is one hell of a nice Spitfire, by anyone's standards, and then I discovered it's in 1/72nd!! Amazing.

Rearguards,

Badder

Hi Badder. I hope you and yours are all well. Thank you very much for stopping by and for your kind comments. Any chance we'll see you in the T-34 STGB? I know you are mostly very busy with your dioramas.

7 hours ago, HOUSTON said:

Hello Stix,

Long time since  followed one of  your model builds.

:hmmm:

Following this build has been a joy..to see your perfect detailing  and what a magnificent  job you did.

.EXEMPLARY  workmanship and Your Spitfire looks IMPECCABLE and IMMACULATELY finished. 

:wow:  

:clap:

:worthy:

Off to look at the Glamor shots on RFI..

Good  job Stix.

HOUSTON.

@HOUSTON!!!! Hello!! How are you? Haven't see you for quite a long time. How's things? Thank you as always for your too kind comments.

6 hours ago, giemme said:

Amazing, Stix! Just that! :worthy: :clap:

Ciao

Thank you very much Giorgio! I hope you and yours are all well.

5 hours ago, Johnson said:

Really Excellent! :goodjob:

Thank you very much Charlie.  Hope you are well too.

Thank you again to everyone who has taken the time to comment in this thread.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 4

Hi Stix,

Things are ok my end. Could be better, could be worse lol.

My building is coming along slowly but steadily, with the roof now being my main subject. As for the T-34 GB it is one that I really do want to take part in. I still haven't bought a new compressor for my AB, but could I suppose try using nothing but those stick things with the hairs on the end.

As for this GB, it went without saying that there were going to be lots of entries. Whilst I've not had time to comment on them yet, I've had a good look at all of them and you've got quite a few competitors for the 'trophy'. It's going to be a 'tight one'!

Rearguards,

Badder

Edited by Badder

• 1 year later...