Amy Johnsons DH 60 Moth Colours

keith in the uk

Hi all.

Currently building the A model 1.48th DH 60 Moth , Amy Johnsons plane.

The colour call outs on the instruction sheet suggest the wings are White ? pretty sure they might be Silver ? also any paint suggestions for the Green fuselage,

would be helpful too.

Cheers K.

Silver wings and tail. I believe the Green to be Brunswick Green. One description I have says the prop had Cream blades with the leading edge sheathing as Dark grey and a polished mahogany hub.  Of interest the fuselage was originally Red and the underside today, still shows the Red in places.

John

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I believe the green was Brunswick Green too. On a forum other than this, I discovered a thread asking this very same question. After much speculation, a chap came on and said that his uncle (I think) was tasked with sorting out some old filing cabinets in the offices of a paint company. He stumbled on the actual order for the paint and reported it to be Brunswick Green. I can't find it now but I think the shade was not the same one that Humbrol do.

John.

• 1 month later...
On 4/17/2020 at 4:19 PM, John Aero said:

Of interest the fuselage was originally Red and the underside today, still shows the Red in places.

John

Even after rolling it into a ball in Australia? Having seen the film of that she was lucky to get out and I am surprised bunch of the original is still there at all.

The fuselage of AAH was originally Red when owned by Wally Hope. I'm aware of the Australia crash and that it was rebuilt for static display before being shipped back to Britain. As it now hangs in the Science museum the underside of the fuselage between the under-carriage shows several streaks of red paint showing through the green and also faintly around the edge of a metal panel. I doesn't look like primer to me. I have a photo on file, but I am having problems with Photobucket and also the photo I think came from off the web.

If I can crop it for reasonable use I will try to post it.

John

Mind you, if the wings absorbed the impact the fuselage could have been relatively ok, a plywood box can be quite strong! 

was it just static rebuilt? For some reason (without any evidence) I seem to remember if was flown after on the publicity tour. 

regardless, it was a hell of an achievement 

It was indeed a wonderful achievement. The info I have comes from Mckay's book on the DH.60 which states that following the Brisbane crash the Moth was rebuilt by DH (Australia) at Mascot, but to static standard only, before shipment back to the UK.. There is a photo in which the Moth looks pretty good.

I believe that Amy was loaned another Moth for her tour, but I can't remember where I've read this.

John

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...