Fillers for White Metal kits.

missile-monkey

Hello,

I've come to the great and the good for some more advice. I am in the middle of building a few 20 mm white metal vehicle kits for a project I'm doing.

I have a white metal kit of a Quad artillery tractor and the fit is well........not fitting very well !  I need to use filler in a few places that on the real deal would be cracks about 6 inches wide ! !

I have only ever modeled in plastic. What would be the best filler to use on white metal ?

As ever thanking everyone in advance.

Regards

MM.

ps. I appologise if this is in the wrong forum....mods please move if you think in needs to be...

Some form of epoxy probably. Milliput and Green Stuff spring to mind. 

If you have a Games Workshop nearby, they used to stock Green Stuff (and liquid Green Stuff) if your stumped on where to get. 

Edited by Evil_Toast_RSA
Added info

Milliput Superfine White or Isopon p38 are both excellent... (Not sure about P40 (but deffo not P45 as it fires you?)).

By the way, JB Weld (A two part epoxy glue) gives an incredibly substantial hold but is also superbly sandable and paintable. 

• Haha 1

Sorry for the delay gents,

Thanks to you all for the advice. Just got to convince everyone that my purchase is essential ! !

Keep safe everyone

Regards

MM

Edited by missile-monkey
Fat Fingers little keyboard

• 3 weeks later...

I have had success filling small white metal joints using Gorilla Glue gel superglue. I apply it leave it for about half an hour and it's firm enough to carefully shape it before it sets rock hard.

Whatever you use the white metal needs to be spotless and wiped over with Isopropyl alcohol or similar degreaser before you apply the filler, white metal is horrible greasy stuff.

Have you tried normal plastic model putty  - that is what I use on white metal 20mm and 15mm wargame models.

Another trick is to fill the crack with baking powder or bicarbonate of soda and the drizzle thin superglue on it.

Now what I’d like is a set of micro needle files that are so fine they don’t leave scratches in the metal - have you encountered anything?  The best have found are a great size (80mm long) and are reasonably smooth but not enough not to leave scratches.  On open areas I can finish off with wet and dry paper or mini sanding sticks but they won’t get into the tiny nooks and crannies you get with white metal miniature figures.

Cheers,

Nigel

On 06/05/2020 at 00:44, nheather said:

Have you tried normal plastic model putty  - that is what I use on white metal 20mm and 15mm wargame models.

Another trick is to fill the crack with baking powder or bicarbonate of soda and the drizzle thin superglue on it.

Now what I’d like is a set of micro needle files that are so fine they don’t leave scratches in the metal - have you encountered anything?  The best have found are a great size (80mm long) and are reasonably smooth but not enough not to leave scratches.  On open areas I can finish off with wet and dry paper or mini sanding sticks but they won’t get into the tiny nooks and crannies you get with white metal miniature figures.

Cheers,

Nigel

Have a look at Swiss watchmakers tools but be prepared for a shock at the price

2 hours ago, AltcarBoB said:

Have a look at Swiss watchmakers tools but be prepared for a shock at the price

I've found Vallorbe needle files available in different cuts.  Looking at Cut 4 but I'm not sure how fine that is in reality.

Cheers,

Nigel

• 1 month later...
On 11/05/2020 at 04:10, nheather said:

I've found Vallorbe needle files available in different cuts.  Looking at Cut 4 but I'm not sure how fine that is in reality.

Cheers,

Nigel

Stubbs (if you can still get them) are also pretty fine. Made in Birmingham, from memory. (Thats Birmingham Brum, not Alabama)

70 Deg melting point solder and good flux.

I've done a load of white metal (also etched brass and nickle silver etc) in the past and use solder.

But soldering is also my background, so am comfortable with it.

I just can't get on with most fillers.

Rick.