EE Lightning F. 2

Hello all

Completed this one a couple of years ago, the Sword kits are really nice. They are short run but go together quite well provided you take your time. In my opinion they capture the Lightning lines beautifully. Got a few more in the stash with limitless decal options! 

Represents an F.2 from no. 92 sqn at RAF Leconfield early 1960s before the squadron then moved to Germany. One of the most colourful of Lightning schemes. 

Brush painted with Vallejo Model Air polished aluminium (in my opinion the best acrylic silver paint for hairy stick), and a shade of blue that I cannot remember! 

Hope you enjoy. Comments and tips appreciated. 

IMG_20200417_122851

IMG_20200417_123007

IMG_20200417_123039

IMG_20200417_122940

IMG_20200417_122824

Edited by binbrook87
  • Like 25

Hello @binbrook87, That is a cracking model you have produced there.

I also really agree with you about the Sword kits, I have built a couple and have found them a pleasure to build. I still have three in the stash (and three Airfix ones), and plenty of markings for them. 

All the best,

Ray

• Thanks 1

Thanks for all your comments guys much appreciated. I now use an airbrush but I cannot recommend Vallejo paints highly enough for brush. Their Model Air Metallic range and especially the polished aluminium is brilliant. Being nice and thin when applied with a wide flat brush over a primer coat (or even sometimes not) it brushes superbly and doesn't dry too quickly so allowing you to brush out as many marks as possible. It's not going to compete with a spray or airbrush but it's pretty good alternative. Their newer Metal Color range is also fantastic too. 

I like that. I was keen on doing a couple of these too but by the time I thought I better get off my tail & buy a couple there wasn't a couple to buy, least not at anything like sane prices, I hope Sword will re-release these sometime, I'm poised to pounce, especially after seeing how nicely they make up. :)

Steve.

8 hours ago, stevehnz said:

I like that. I was keen on doing a couple of these too but by the time I thought I better get off my tail & buy a couple there wasn't a couple to buy, least not at anything like sane prices, I hope Sword will re-release these sometime, I'm poised to pounce, especially after seeing how nicely they make up. :)

Steve.

Thanks Steve. Yeh i did the same as you and ignored them at trade sales and the like for a long time...now suddenly the F.1, F.2, F.3 have become very hard to get hold of. Lesson to be learnt there....buy up stocks if you can while they are available 🙂 I've managed to get hold of a few here and there so it should keep me busy for a few years at least in between other projects.

• Like 1