1/43 Scale Architectural Model

Hello, I've been posting a few car builds on the site and the topic of backgrounds came up so I thought I'd post this over here in the diorama section. I know, 1/43 scale isn't exactly a standard for architecture but I wanted to build a house around some diecast cars I had. I designed the house in a 3D program I use called Modo and once happy with the floorplan, started to construct it out of wood, foam, plaster cloth, foamcore, cardstock, paper, plastic, static grass and a whole bunch of Woodland Scenic products. Overall model is 30" x 48". I took it out to my in-law's backyard and snapped some shots right around golden hour.

House_New-10_1920x1080

I ran micro LEDs throughout with a switch under the base to turn them on. I picked up the Mercedes diecast at the Mercedes Museum.

House_New-9_1920x1080

Other side of the house. Master bedroom on the left with a garage viewing area to the right with a Porsche 911 in it. One can dream.

House_New-5._1920x1080jpg

House_New-8_1920x1080

House_New-7_1920x1080

House_New-11_1920x1080

House_New-4_1920x1080

House_New-2_1920x1080

House_New_1920x1080

House_New-6_1920x1080

House_Wide_1920x1080

And an overall shot of the model. Thanks for looking!

Martin.

• Like 45
  • Thanks 5

This is absolutely fantastic! After seeing the first image I thought this was the 3D render you took as inspiration. As already said above, looks right out of a glossy magazine :)

Edited by armored76
  • Thanks 1

Fantastic model. I thought some of the shots were of a real property. 

The only thing that I would mention is that in some of the photos, the tree trunks in the background look too over scale. Other than that, it's amazing

• Thanks 1

Very nice model and (without seeing the floor plan) a believable design. 

Of course, in real life, architects' (as opposed to developers' sales) models are supposed to be all white card or perspex or wood to show the "purity of design"- at college we had an American tutor who lambasted a friend and I for using coloured card: "Nicely built model guys but, Jeez, is this for your model railroad?" 😁

Cheers

Will

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Gorby said:

in some of the photos, the tree trunks in the background look too over scale.

Yeah, my in-laws wouldn't let me cut the large ones down! 😀

9 hours ago, malpaso said:

models are supposed to be all white card or perspex or wood to show the "purity of design"

That's what my original plan was but I got a bit carried away.

7 hours ago, cmatthewbacon said:

and an excellent choice of British classic parked up outside as well!

Thanks, I had a 72 GT6 for a while. Still have my Spitfire.

Thanks again for all the comments!

Edited by gt6mkiii
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

A different type of build, very interesting.

Perhaps the first Work in Progress that could benefit from a running commentary from Kevin McCloud punctuated by regular sincere pieces to camera voicing his concerns about whether it can ever be finished on time and on budget.

Edited by Richard E
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

O.M.G. :worthy:

When I saw those first pix, I was certain you were either showing the actual building that you modeled or were pulling our collective legs. Seriously, that's just an amazing diorama and stunningly realistic photography!

• Thanks 1

Wow.  Just wow.  Many of those pics look like real photos, the ultimate accolade 😍

And as others have said, it is very reminiscent of the car port in Ferris Bueller's Day Off.  A red 1961 Ferrari 250 GT California would look good in front of it :D

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nev said:

And as others have said, it is very reminiscent of the car port in Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

Agreed, although without the 40 foot drop if you drive through the glass! Most of the inspiration for the house design came from an Architecture firm in Austin, TX called aparallel - I really like their work - clean, modern lines but not cold. Website here if you're interested: https://www.aparallel.com/

• Like 1

• 5 months later...