Airfix 1:24 Grumman F6F-5 Hellcat - Finished

spacer.png

spacer.png

Finished in the FAA HMS Khedive 'Operation Sunfish' scheme.

Paints a combination of Tamiya (interior) with Mr Color and MRP (exterior). Tamiya light grey primer and black pre-shaded.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 52
  • Thanks 3

Very nice.  I wish I had the skill, the confidence and the space to have a crack at big scale but I know I'd end up making raffia baskets under the close supervision of a nice young man in a clean white coat.

• Haha 1

Lovely.

I like the finish, too often models are ruined by over the top weathering and heavy handed chipping.  This looks fresh from the maintenance hanger & looking for a fight!  

Super job. 

Wow. It really has some weight and heft, even just looking at it!

If it was mine I'd have have given it a coat of satin varnish to tone it down a wee bit, but it still looks great. Nice that you did the FAA too.

Hello, Steve -

Although not really my genre of aircraft modelling, I really like your take on this kit.

I think you have achieved a realistic finish by avoiding (what seems to me) the obligatory heavy weathering fashion.   The gloss sheen to the cowling looks spot on to me and gives a realistic appearance of painted metal.   Something I try to do on my WW1 aircraft builds to show different tonal variations between fabric, metal and wood - so well done on that.   

Your overall panel shading in good too by just simply highlighting separate panels as opposed making it look over done.  In all, a refreshing change to my eyes.

I looked at another of these kits built up by another member on this forum recently and will say again I am really getting tempted to make a go at this myself now ............

Regards

• Like 1

Thanks to all for your kind words.

I choose the FAA scheme because the other schemes were just blue all over and to me, that was just a bit too 'boring'. The FAA scheme just (to my eye) gave it more interest.

I am still a little undecided on the shine of the model, toying/toyed with a satin finish..........maybe I will, maybe I won't. Comments seem a bit undecided as well, with some saying nice, others too shiny......probably will end up leaving it a s it is for two reasons.........1) Haven't actually got any satin on hand 🤪 and 2) don't want to risk messing up what I have achieved so far!

@PhantomLover The wash was just a Flory Dark Dirt wash.......slap it all over the model and then wipe off slowly with a damp bit of kitchen roll and cotton buds (Flory do some good tutorial videos on their website)

spacer.png

As for having the room to build/display this model..........well, I don't really, but it doesn't stop me building them. Got maybe half a dozen 1:24 scales a few 1:32's and I just keep pushing them closer and closer on my shelf!!! Wife is starting to get a bit 'miffed' at me taking too much room, so maybe the older ones will have to start going in the loft!

For a change, I'm moving on to a car next. Never tried one before so should be fun for a change (Le Ferrari) with a Harrier just been delivered. One thing about being house-bound during this lock-down is that I seem to have a lot of spare time on my hands :)

Take care of yourselves during these difficult times.

Edited by Starspell
Typo error
  • Like 2

• 5 months later...

Brilliant job! I love the finish you have achieved, I am not a fan of heavy weathering, this looks just right.  I nearly bit the bullet and ordered one during Amazon prime day, but I have the 1/24 Mosquito to make first. Perhaps when that is done?