Monogram 1:24th 1934 Duesenberg

Another fine Monogram classic from the 60s that shouldn't be hard to find as it's been reissued several times. I wish now that I'd gone the extra mile and made more realistic wire wheels for it, maybe I will one day. If I were to do that I would also pull the engine out and paint it the correct bright green, something I didn't know about at the time.

1111ADuesenbergIMG_6779-vi.jpg

1111ADuesenbergIMG_6790-vi.jpg

1111ADuesenbergIMG_6781-vi.jpg

1111ADuesenbergIMG_6783-vi.jpg

1111ADuesenbergIMG_6784-vi.jpg

1111ADuesenbergIMG_6786-vi.jpg

• Like 36

I find the quality of your work astounding a real joy to view infact I keep returning to have another look 🙂 The consistency of your paint work is awesome every build a gem. If you hadn't noticed I'm impressed looking forward to the next one. 

Regards Andy 

• Like 1

That's beautifully built.  I'm not supposed to be buying any kits at the moment, but the moment I saw this, I just couldn't resist going straight online to (successfully) find one for a fair price, and it is highly likely to jump to the front of the queue.  I reckon this Duesenberg has the best coachwork of all the early 30s cars in this series (I've never been a fan of tourers which look like cut down 'D' back saloons or limousines).  What did you do to create the effect of the door glass in its recesses in the tops of the doors?  I'm guessing that's not out of the box detailing, and it really adds extra realism.

23 hours ago, Spiny said:

I'd never have noticed the wheels if you hadn't mentioned them.

Likewise.  1:24 wires are rarely 100% convincing, but these are so much better than many far more recent efforts (in fact, I think only Tamiya and Aoshima have done better with just injection molding), and certainly don't stand out for the wrong reasons.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paul H said:

That's beautifully built.  I'm not supposed to be buying any kits at the moment, but the moment I saw this, I just couldn't resist going straight online to (successfully) find one for a fair price, and it is highly likely to jump to the front of the queue.  I reckon this Duesenberg has the best coachwork of all the early 30s cars in this series (I've never been a fan of tourers which look like cut down 'D' back saloons or limousines).  What did you do to create the effect of the door glass in its recesses in the tops of the doors?  I'm guessing that's not out of the box detailing, and it really adds extra realism.

Likewise.  1:24 wires are rarely 100% convincing, but these are so much better than many far more recent efforts (in fact, I think only Tamiya and Aoshima have done better with just injection molding), and certainly don't stand out for the wrong reasons.

Thanks everybody, much appreciated.

Paul, I'm sure you'll like the kit and I agree with you on the body style. The "door glass" is silver wire secured in holes drilled at each end.

• Thanks 1

On 03/05/2020 at 22:23, Maltsr said:

My first post on this site Peter.  This is a gorgeous build, puts mine to shame!

Welcome to the site, glad you joined! And if your Duesenberg is anything like your usual standard then I don't believe you for a second!

I want to drink that paint job!  Eat it?  Bath in it?  Can I have it, please.  Welcome, and please keep posting.  

• Like 1

🤯WOW ... That is such a great looking Duesenberg you have done the car justice. These have always been my favorite classic luxury cars. I never even knew Monogram or anyone ever made a kit. I hope someday to find one of these kits, It would have to be one of my rare forays into automotive building. 

• Like 1

On 06/05/2020 at 21:07, Noel Smith said:

What a superb finish! What colour did you use on the model?

Thanks everyone. Noel, I painted this 35 years ago using my own mix of Sikkens auto paint (the copper with fine metallic powder) and their clear coat, all airbrushed. 

I had job-related access to these paints and a spray cabin at the time, not to mention professional advice from colleagues.

• Like 1