Tamiya Spitfire 1//48 Trop.

Crane

The color is my own version of Azure Blue, which is basically Mr Paint Azure Blue + Insignia White

I'm finally gaining a little confidence in spraying gloss clear coats. I will probably give this until next weekend to 'cure'. Then on to the top coat of middle stone on the upper surfaces.

spacer.png

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the slow updates, I am back to work and have 4 builds simultaneously

I know it may not look like much, but this is the finest coat of paint I have ever sprayed. My own mix of MRP Middle Stone and Sand

spacer.png

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

Small update - a light smattering of a lighter shade of my dark earth mix. Looks ugly right now, hoping it will work out!

spacer.png

• Like 2

Hot off the press -

I had to decide how much of the undertones to allow to show through the dark earth color. I wanted it to look on par with the highlights showing through the middle stone. I referenced some photos I took, but it still wasn't easy. After I peeled off the first piece of mask, I wasn't too happy. The dark shades on the panel lines in the middle stone did not follow through into the dark earth color. But I think I can work around that. 

spacer.png

A little test I conducted before painting I thought I would share. Concerned about MC Leveling Thinner melting the sticky tac, I placed two small pieces in to a jar with the thinner. After a few weeks - both types of tac are holding up just fine!

spacer.png

• 2 weeks later...

What's the hold up? -

I have decided to paint the markings on and have mixed about 20 different shades of blue. I am not happy with any of them. Another skill I'm lacking in. I ordered MRP Oxford Blue, hopeful it will be a better starting point. I have read some threads here about 'roundel blue'. It has helped, but I am on a mission to mix my own.

spacer.png

• Like 3

really nice build so far, if this helps with the colour for the roundels, I know that you are using MRP however these Tamiya ratios might help?

blue: Tamiya XF-4 blue (95%) and XF-1 black (5%)

red:  Tamiya XF-7 red (75%) and XF-64 NATO brown (25%)

you can see the final result here...

rgds

John(shortCummins)

• Like 1

On 6/19/2020 at 7:29 PM, shortCummins said:

really nice build so far, if this helps with the colour for the roundels, I know that you are using MRP however these Tamiya ratios might help?

blue: Tamiya XF-4 blue (95%) and XF-1 black (5%)

red:  Tamiya XF-7 red (75%) and XF-64 NATO brown (25%)

you can see the final result here...

rgds

John(shortCummins)

I have used those exact mixtures in my last build. They work well. I am just trying something a little different this time.

• Like 1

Settled on mixes for markings. I had to darken the red color of the fin flash because it was over white paint, so I added a half-drop of my blue mix. I think the center red circles on the wings may be a bit too large, but I am not fretting over it. The underside roundels are also finished. 6 down, 2 to go!

spacer.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Crane said:

I think the center red circles on the wings may be a bit too large,

way too large.

Not sure if you have seen this before, it has dimensions of the roundels.

Supermarine%20Spitfire%20Camo%20&%20Mark

from 

https://boxartden.com/reference/gallery/index.php/Modeling-References/Camoflage-Markings/01-Supermarine-Spitfire

very useful if you have not seen it before.

a very useful photos for showing fading on a desrt scheme.  Note the upperwing blue fades faster than the fuselage and fin flash

14780326836_c9727d9f2c_o.jpgRCAF Spitfire V,  1943. by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

49042229021_74e60d510a_o.jpgClose up of RCAF Spitfire V,  1943. by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

there is a mass of detail to be seen, in the fading, touch ups, wear points, exhaust apperance, and the way the airflow blows stains. 

fresher paint for contrast

40081280613_6281cac994_o.jpgRCAF Spitfire Mk. V, 1943. by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

from 

https://www.flickr.com/search/?text=spitfire&user_id=8270787%40N07&view_all=1

• 2 weeks later...

I have finished the fuselage roundels and corrected the size of the red area of the upper wing roundels. My new motto is - mask correctly, paint once!

spacer.png

• Like 3